Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cam Plate Woes

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 09:20 AM
roundy
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Cam Plate Woes

So I have my cam plate in with HD in the UK, was getting them to replace the tensioners....

Get a call this morning, bad news sir - the cam support plate screws have sheared off

I am so gutted, and to be honest gob smacked - I just can't understand how its happened, its not like they would corrode, they're covered in oil!!

I wonder if at some point someone has put the wrong locktite on them?

So replacing the cam plate (cheapest way is Screamin Eagle) is going to cost me anout 375 quid on top the 400 I was already paying for the work :-( I've collected all the bits as I am going to see a mate about getting the snapped treads out, they're blind holes so there is no reason to not try.

Also, off to the Big Twin bike show at the weekend so might get lucky with a plate for sale there....

So gutted, was hoping to get her all back together tonight!

Old 11-04-2015, 09:43 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Its been awhile since I followed cam plate stuff on pre 07's. I thought the weak bolts were the ones that come from the case and hold the cam plate. People would replace with longer studs with more threads. Its also recommended to tq on the low side of specs on two of the bolts. Just a guess, but i think your cam plate is fine.

Google this for more info - harley cam support bolts longer studs

Old 11-04-2015, 10:35 AM
roundy
Tourer

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Its been awhile since I followed cam plate stuff on pre 07's. I thought the weak bolts were the ones that come from the case and hold the cam plate. People would replace with longer studs with more threads. Its also recommended to tq on the low side of specs on two of the bolts. Just a guess, but i think your cam plate is fine.

Google this for more info - harley cam support bolts longer studs
Its defo the cam bearing retaining plate screws that have stripped, I have the plate back now.

I was thinking of getting the threads sorted, but I've just been out to inspect the oil pump and the housing has clear scratches inside, which considering the shoe damage and wear has to be related. So a new complete pump is needed and that works out to be a massive chunk of the Screamin Eagle upgrade kit. (i don't have the money for gear driven so not going there)

Old 11-04-2015, 10:58 AM
foxtrapper
HDF Community Team
Veteran: National GuardVeteran: Navy
Received 1,652 Likes on 1,076 Posts

Stripped or sheared? There is a significant difference.

I do see used cam plate assemblies regularly at swap meets, very cheap. Like $1-20 cheap. Take the tool with you to the shows and pop the oil pump cover off for a look. Might be a viable alternative.

As for the stripped screws or hole, a stripped screw is replaced with a new one. A stripped hole is drilled and helicoiled. Either repairs are easily done.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:20 AM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

I have a plate but you really want to do the upgrade anyways.

Old 11-04-2015, 01:03 PM
roundy
Tourer

Sorry, the heads of the screws have sheared, so would have to drill out and helicoil (which i have access to a kit to do it) - assume that will be good as any option, not like the plate is under huge load.

If I can sort the plate by Helicoil I could then purchase a Daytona oil pump (which are much cheaper than MoCo) and that would be a reasonably cost effective repair.

From what I've read the SE plate doesn't really fix the underlying issue anyway, just makes the pads last a bit longer.

Old 11-04-2015, 02:32 PM
roundy
Tourer

Here are some pics of the scoring on my pump...

Attached Thumbnails Cam Plate Woes-dsc_0487.jpg   Cam Plate Woes-dsc_0488.jpg  
Old 11-04-2015, 03:22 PM
R_Einan
Road Master
Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

Might check into the S&S unit, Bill03E swapped his for one and had nothing but good things to say about it. I think he was pre '07 as well.

Old 11-04-2015, 03:51 PM
roundy
Tourer

Been looking at the S&S plates, more cheese than the SE setup and they don't include the hydraulic tensioners...

Going to see if there are any bargains at the show to be had.

I am just interested to see if people would replace my pump, there are no chucks from teeth on the g-rotors nor the outside, and as far as I know no flow issues.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:31 PM
xcbullet
Stellar HDF Member
Received 277 Likes on 235 Posts

There is specs in the book for the pump. I wouldn't use those orange tensioner's they are junk.

Quick Reply: Cam Plate Woes