Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone willing to walk me through Auto tune PV Target Tune?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 08:36 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Anyone willing to walk me through Auto tune PV Target Tune?

I have all but given up. I have watched and read but for some reason I simply cannot figure this tune out. I switched to PV Target from a dyno tune because I was getting pinging in the 3k range with the old tune. I drove 4 hours each way several times to have bike retuned only to have it still there. Tuner swore he was not seeing or hearing it on dyno.

Anyways I switched to PV Target tune from FM. Jamie sent me a TT tune.
It is ok but still has some pinging around 3K RPM. So tonight (I confess I am still trying to figure it out) I put it in auto tune and went for several 30 minute rides. I had it on the logging and could see most of the cells were being populated. One thing I noticed is the bike is now really pinging and around 3K it starts popping back firing, etc. WOT it pulls hard but the pinging is way worse. I am afraid I am going to tear something up.
In the regular mode (At not enabled) the bike is rich at idle and is Ok but not running as strong as it should be.

I plan on calling FM but dang, this cannot be that difficult. I have a big out of town ride this weekend and would really like it to be running correct.

Anyone willing help a brother out?

Last edited by D W K; 11-03-2015 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:20 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,599 Likes on 2,722 Posts

I wouldnt be so sure its pinging, could very well be valve train noise, often they sound very similar.

Old 11-04-2015, 12:26 PM
2black1s
Elite HDF Member
Received 171 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
I wouldnt be so sure its pinging, could very well be valve train noise, often they sound very similar.
I don't think they sound similar at all. And in addition to the different sound, pinging is typically sensitive to throttle and load conditions and will come and go based on those conditions. Valve train noise is more consistent and rpm related.

To the OP... Sorry that I can't help with the PV tuning. I run a PCV w/Autotune.

Old 11-04-2015, 06:52 PM
HDFBagR
Intermediate
Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

First of all, I assume Jamie Target Tune enabled your tune file.
Second, I assume you have updated the PV firmware to the latest
version. If you did not, the PV will strip the TT enable from the file.
I'm sure Jamie mentioned this to you already.

An auto tune session will only help you to dial in the Volumetric
Efficiency of the motor at all the various RPM and Map points that
you have been hitting during your AT session ride. The auto tune
session will not modify the spark advance. That being said, TT should
be able to tune the Air Fuel Ratio over a large range, around plus or
minus 40 percent. So an accurate VE table is not really necessary with TT.
If you did perform an AT session, you need to save the new VE table to one
of the five storage locations. After you have saved it, you then need to flash
that saved tune location into the ECM.

You can also perform a log for both front and rear knock with the PV. This will tell you
for sure if the ionization sensor in the ECM is detecting knock. The ECM actually
will retard knock by about 5 deg if it detects knock in a certain region. This is
to compensate for a bad load of gas. It will remove that spark retard over time
if no knock is detected.

You can also open up your tune with the WinPV application on your PC.
There you will be able to modify the spark tables at the RPM point you are
hearing the ping for both the front and rear cylinders independently. I have
done this in 2 degree steps until the pinging stops under heavy load.
Save the modified tune to a new memory location on the PV and then flash (load)
it into the ECM.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:12 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts

To answer questions:
Yes I have everything is the latest and greatest.
I called Brian at FM today and he helped me get WinPV installed and did some logging. Jamie is at SEMA and the areas I needed help with were beyond Brian. He was a great help though. I played with the Quick tune and was able to drop some timing. That helped after trial and error.
I then called Ron at Dynojet and he looked at the maps and logging. He made a few minor adjustments and so far it seems pretty good. I will call Jamie next week and work on dialing it in perfect. I was pushing hard this week because we are pulling out for Lone Star in the morning.
Thanks for the replies.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:33 AM
Cliff R
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That would be the correct course of action. I haven't ran into the pinging issue yet when tuning with the PV, but it's pretty easy to go into the Quick Tune mode and make adjustments in the areas where you are having issues.

I didn't see where it mentioned which 02's you were using, but if you haven't upgraded to the wide ban 02's I'm not surprised that some custom tuning may be required to get the best end result even running the Auto Tune and accepting the changes based on your riding style.

I'd also add here that light throttle pinging at low throttle positions isn't immediately engine damaging. Of course at full load and early in the rpm range pinging is NOT good for the engine, and it will destroy the very best prepped engine in short order.

For sure we want to tune for best engine performance across the entire load/speed range without any audible detonation anyplace, that goes without saying, but a little light throttle ping in a certain range isn't anything to get overly upset about....IMHO......Cliff

Old 11-05-2015, 02:53 PM
azlou66
Road Captain

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Have you tried good old log tuner? I use it still even with my PV and TT. I also use Mega Log Viewer HD to help verify the event and exactly when it occurred.