Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Handlebars

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2007, 02:46 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road King Handlebars

I hada Heritage Classic handlebar installed on my 97 Road King which is a lot more comfortable than the stock one; that being said, I've layed it over twice on manuvering for take off (thank God for crash bars). Does anyone know if the Heritage bar allows for a sharper turning distance, which is what I believe myproblem may be along with inexperience. Also, have been looking at alternative bars such as the Cubby's 508's & 518's, along with Flander's Road King bars with 35" center to center and 13" of pullback; I like riding upright rather with my feet on the road pegs, rather than leaning forward with wrists turned down.
All suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Bill

Old 05-06-2007, 03:11 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain
Default RE: Road King Handlebars

I think that experience & unfamiliarity with the new bars are likely the main issues. Different torque & leverage. Take some time to get used to them. I put 518s (Chubby II) on my RK Custom & they were perfect for comfortable hiway cruising. I did notice a much different feel, though; after a while, it's like they'd been there all along. Nothing like miles to fix that. Ride safe.

Old 05-06-2007, 05:41 PM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I have the 508's which have about 4 inches more pullback than stock. Although I can turn the bike at full lock, the bars will hit my knees if I don't intentionally move them out of the way. As Gunkholes says, getting used to how they handle just took some time and some adjustment to my riding position during hard turns at slow speed. On the highway they are much more comfortable than stock, and sit me upright in the seat.

Old 05-06-2007, 06:00 PM
redhwk44
Road Master

I also have the 518's. Just put them on 3 weeks ago and I noticed a big difference in slow speed manuvering. I have about 750 miles on the new bars and it gets better with each and every mile.

Jeff

Old 05-06-2007, 08:25 PM
HmanT
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently changed to a set of Heritage Classic handlebars for my wife's Road King Custom. She was having trouble maneuvering through turns. She went from a Low Rider to the Road King. She likes the touring ride much better, but she was not as comfortable with the handling. She does much better with the Heritage bars.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:30 PM
2wheeler
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I put the HD "High Bars" on and noticed a difference in handling right away. Didn't take long to get used to the difference from the old bars and I'm glad I made the change. Even the highway pegs are more comfortable now as I'm not folded forward so much. Your Heritage bar are narrower and higher than your stock bars, probably a little less leverage...I expect they do feel different and slow speeds are when the bikes are the least stable in my experience. Good luck in the future.

John (Virginia)

Old 05-07-2007, 06:40 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

First, did you take the riders edge course? If not, you may want to. Not slamming you, but you will learn a lot. Have friends that have had bikes for years have taken it and swear by it.

Second, I just put on 18" apes. Feels great to me. And funny enough, it seems that manuevering at low speeds is easier. Might be the fact I am 6'1", but they are great. Only have 300 or so miles on them so far, but I feel much more roomy with them on. Even moved my highway pegs in some more. Not sure why, but seems like I have so much more room than before. May be too much for some, but was definatley the right call for me. I was told how my hands would go numb on a long ride, but they did that anyways. And the pain in my back is gone. They did get numb at first, but is gone now. Might be because of the different back position. My hands sit right at shoulder height. I am more torso than leg.

With miles come experience. Might take you some time, but before you know it, you might even be able to do the small 'box' with them. Keep your head, and bike, up. And most of all have fun. That is why we spend thousands for these rides. Good luck and stay safe.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12433/14D64B28059A416996E8A3927BA4E86C.jpg[/IMG]

Old 05-07-2007, 04:00 PM
billybobsrk
Tourer

I haven’t taken the riders edge course, but did take the state motorcycle riders course to get my license 4 years ago.
I had no problems with maneuvering sharp turns on take offs with my old bar, just since I’ve had the new one installed; probably just a matter of getting use to since the Heritage Classic bar is one of the most popular bars installed on RoadKings.
Have heard a lot of good things about the Chubby’s Wild Ones; I’m 6’ tall, so the 518’s might work better for me than the 508’s which have more pull back. There’s nothing like being able to set up right or leaning against a backrest with your arms slightly bent on a long run.
All replies appreciated.

Thanks for all the in put…………Bill

Old 05-07-2007, 05:48 PM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the heritage bars on my RK and I like them. They were on the bike when I bought it used. I have them turned up a bit in line with the forks. They're kind of like mini apes.

Old 05-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Gunkholes
Road Captain

I got rid of the stock RK Custom bars speciffically due to the severe pullback -- I felt like I was pushing a wheelbarrow! The 508s have a similar pullback. The 518s were perfect for me -- not as much pullback & wider (36"). I plan to put some Chubbys on my EGC now.