Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts installed

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2015, 07:43 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
Default ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts installed

Well, I installed my ROCKOUT Rocker Shaft Inserts. For me... it was just over 2 hours.

Decided to work the front first so, I exposed the rear push rods to determine TDC or the "base circle" of the front jug "method." That part was easiest, simple flat head screwdriver, a paperclip, and rubber band.

The front was way way way easy... the rear... not so much. Battled the do I apply blue locktite on the 4 bolts on the rocker assy and decided not to, and didn't apply any on the filter element assembly bolts either. But the 6 bolts of the cover (per jug) did get the blue locktite.

As many have suggested... I did use q-tips to soak up the oil in the threaded bolt bores inside the rocker box.

While I had the rocker box covers off... I decided to replace the filter element assembly. The new assembly certainly looks big time cheap compared to the stock assembly, so I know damn well the engineers pinched their A S S cheeks a little tighter to save the moco some coin over time.

Still not able to start the bike but that is because I'm waiting on a sprocket locker tool and hopefully I will have it back together soon.

Old 10-31-2015, 08:48 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Thanks for posting your experiences. Let us all know how it works out when you get it running.

One tip for the rear cylinder (yeah I know, where was this BEFORE you started?) that may help some...

The two primary side rocker support bolts may not want to clear the frame enough to come out. Don't remove them, just completely unscrew them & remove the bolts and the support plate as an assembly. You'll find it comes right out.

Thanks again for your support!

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 10-31-2015, 09:46 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Yeah... On the rear, I had no choice but to leave the two left side bolts (unscrewed) and the left side breather assembly bolt (unscrewed) but in place.

What I wonder (in general) is just how many people have not used a torque wrench on the left side bolts, 2 on the rocker assembly and 3 on the rocker cover.

Anyways... It was nice to have some alone time in the garage BUT... I'm so ready to go riding and I want to hear the difference!

Oh and I did have score marks on all 4 bolts.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:34 PM
Panchorelly
Road Warrior
Received 40 Likes on 32 Posts

I installed mine today also , I took my time messed around , did some other things on the bike, chased parts, Finished in about 4 hours, torqued what I could and guessed at the rest. Bike is definately quieter , I am happy with the results.

Old 10-31-2015, 10:43 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

That's great to hear! Thanks for letting us know

Old 11-01-2015, 12:11 AM
beasleyiv
Road Master
Received 59 Likes on 43 Posts

Did mine the other day as well. Only had time to idle in the garage for a bit but I couldn't believe the reduction in sound. I had score marks on the two front cylinder bolts. I had been in there before to drill out the plates for better oil drainage out of the breather area. I enlarged those holes again a bit this time as well.

Excellent product and great install method vs the pounding them in method of the other brand.

Old 11-01-2015, 12:33 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
Did mine the other day as well. Only had time to idle in the garage for a bit but I couldn't believe the reduction in sound. I had score marks on the two front cylinder bolts. I had been in there before to drill out the plates for better oil drainage out of the breather area. I enlarged those holes again a bit this time as well.

Excellent product and great install method vs the pounding them in method of the other brand.
Glad you're happy with my product, thank you very much for the feedback and the support.

Old 11-01-2015, 05:37 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain

Originally Posted by beasleyiv
I had been in there before to drill out the plates for better oil drainage out of the breather area. I enlarged those holes again a bit this time as well.
I did notice the two fairly small holes... did you notice a reduction the first time? I wonder if the holes are larger in the newer whips?

Old 11-01-2015, 06:28 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

I can't help it, gotta ask. Where did the name Eunoterpsia come from? I've wondered about that many times.

Old 11-01-2015, 08:37 AM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
I can't help it, gotta ask. Where did the name Eunoterpsia come from? I've wondered about that many times.
A popular pastime.

Quick Reply: ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts installed