Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Anyone Running PV Target tune?

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 09:27 PM
D W K
Road Captain
Received 37 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Anyone Running PV Target tune?

I decided to ditch the tunes that were in my bike and go with Fuel Moto PV with target tune. Affording to the guy at Fuel Moto (Sales not Jamie) all I needed to do was simply install the tune and go. The bike will find it's happy spot in time. I was told not to turn on the auto tune etc.... s this correct. Simply flash and go after hooking up the Target module?
I ask because I am unsure of what the target values are and the bike smells rich. I have made 3 - 30 minute rides so far and wondering how many rides I should expect it to take before finding the correct values.

I would also like to do some data logging but I'm not 100% sure how to do that. I have some sounds right at 3K RPM I would like to verify are not timing or fuel issues.

Old 10-29-2015, 03:24 AM
chrisg81983
Road Captain
Received 41 Likes on 36 Posts

I didn't really get any positive results from mine until I went on a long ride using all of the Rpm range, 30 min rides did nothing for my bike was almost ready to put my original tune back in.

Old 10-29-2015, 09:57 AM
motolocopat
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'd think a 30 minute ride that covered some real riding roads would do OK but over a commuting type path or droning the interstate then no.

I have one but have yet to install it as I'm going to do some other upgrades at the time.

Old 10-29-2015, 05:48 PM
D W K
Road Captain

I guess I need to take her for a long ride then. Maybe the weather Saturday will cooperate. Right now it just smells really rich but I'm still hearing a tinking sound right at 3K RPM when I jump on the gas.
So those seem opposite of each other. Tinking or pinging is indicative of timing and possibly lean while the rich smell is just the opposite.

Not sure what's going on. Bike pulls hard and runs fine.

Old 10-29-2015, 06:19 PM
J929626
Road Master
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

How was the bike running prior to installing TT? Fuel Moto should have taken your current map and converted it to a TT enabled map. They did nothing else to it.

If you are experiencing pre-detonation that is indicative of a timing issue. If it is running rich the TT Auto Tune may be able to take care of the problem.

TT Auto Tune will not resolve the timing problem if it exists.

Old 10-29-2015, 07:16 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

Originally Posted by D W K
I decided to ditch the tunes that were in my bike and go with Fuel Moto PV with target tune. Affording to the guy at Fuel Moto (Sales not Jamie) all I needed to do was simply install the tune and go. The bike will find it's happy spot in time. I was told not to turn on the auto tune etc.... s this correct. Simply flash and go after hooking up the Target module?
I ask because I am unsure of what the target values are and the bike smells rich. I have made 3 - 30 minute rides so far and wondering how many rides I should expect it to take before finding the correct values.

I would also like to do some data logging but I'm not 100% sure how to do that. I have some sounds right at 3K RPM I would like to verify are not timing or fuel issues.
First, make sure you have loaded the base tune that is loaded by FM for your specific bike and mods on your bike. This involves first "marrying" the PV to the bike, and then flashing that initial tune.

Then, let target tune do it's job and this may take some variety of runs.

Also, to monitor things like Spark Knock events, AFR, etc, you can use the guages and also LOG data.

I would also add that I am not sure about skipping the Autotune steps when you have Target-Tune. I don't have a TT but I do have a PV and I thought the concept of the TT was to be able to dynamically fine tune a good base tune that was already dialed in. That the TT allows for skipping the AT process sorprises me, but if FM said so I'm inclided to believe them, but they are great for support so don't hesitate to call and ask about anything you're unsure of.

Datalogging is also powerful and the user manual will run you through how to set that up. You can log and also watch the guages, but logging allows you to look at multiple signals and events and help you pinpoint potential issues and make adjustments if necessary.

Last edited by oldhippie; 10-29-2015 at 08:23 PM.
Old 10-29-2015, 07:44 PM
bundy43
Road Captain
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

I have been runnig one for about 3 mounths now',and only thought my bike was running good.
what map are you running with TT,and did you upgrade the PV for it.

Old 10-29-2015, 11:41 PM
D W K
Road Captain

I'll try and answer the questions. The map is a map they sent for my bike. The previous tune was using Direct link and was not sent in for conversion.
I called fuel moto a couple of says ago and verified they said not to turn on the AT. They say the TT will find it's sweet spot on it's own by making adjustments on the fly.

There is a function in the PV to turn on Target tune logging or auto tune.

I want to log the changes so I can send Jamie the MAP to determine if I have something going on. I changed to PV and Fuel moto because I felt like the bike had a pinging or detonation issue with the previous tune but it may be something else because the bike is still making noise at 3k with the new tuning. I am wondering if I have a spark knock issue. Maybe bad plug wires. I have ordered new wires just to rule it out. I would like to log just to verify the tune is not the issue before moving on to other possible causes.
Again it sounds like rocks hitting the tank. I just wonder if the baffle or something is rattling and mimicking the sound

Old 10-30-2015, 04:22 PM
kbktulsa
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

be sure and check your front plug wire, they are bad about rubbing on the gas tank and shorting to it. I have had to put wrap on my street glide and my trike to protect the front plug wire.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:58 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,814 Likes on 1,761 Posts

You can, and probably should Autotune. The nice part about Autotuning with the TT is it won't change your AFR's when you Autotune. Using the basic narrow bands, the PV changes them to 14.6 for the session. The AT 110 changes them to 13.0 for the session. The TT leaves them at whatever you have them set at.

Also, the TT doesn't learn or improve your tune as you ride. It's an interface to the ECM that allows you to use wideband O2's in lieu of narrow bands. Any learning or trims being done, are being done by the ECM.

So, to improve things go ahead and Autotune your TT enabled tune. Keep in mind the PV will change the tune file name when autotuning so don't lose track of it.

FM converted my current tune and when I got it back I did a couple autotune sessions and saw very little change, which is good. My complete AFR table was in open loop prior to the TT. Now it's all closed loop and the thing runs great. I'm very pleased with it so far.

Quick Reply: Anyone Running PV Target tune?