Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power vision

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2015, 06:45 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts
Default Power vision

Guys, my Power Vision was delivered but my bike is in the shop until Friday.
There are 2 questions about AutoTune basic that I have:

1 - Once I tune my bike with the map that FuelMoto provided, how will I know if I need to run AutoTune basic? What will the bike do (or not do) which will indicate that I need to use AutoTune?

2 - In order to use the Power Vision, I know that I have to remove my left bag and cover and then connect the Power Vision to the data port. But, in order to use Auto Tune, I think I have to ride the bike for at least a few sessions of 30 minutes a piece. HOW DO I RIDE THE BIKE WITH THE POWER VISION CONNECTED IF MY BAG AND COVER ARE OFF? This one is driving me crazy.

Thanks guys!

Old 10-28-2015, 06:49 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

You can run the wire behind the frame, under the seat and over the tank, no need to remove the cover. (not like its impossible to ride the bike without the cover on anyway, but still no need to remove it).

I've got my wire always coiled up underneath the seat.

Chances are you wont really need to do any auto tune runs, the map you get from Fuel Moto will be pretty damn close, I wouldnt expect miracles.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:53 PM
kryingame
Road Warrior
Received 90 Likes on 59 Posts

Originally Posted by Keithhu
You can run the wire behind the frame, under the seat and over the tank, no need to remove the cover. (not like its impossible to ride the bike without the cover on anyway, but still no need to remove it).

I've got my wire always coiled up underneath the seat.

Chances are you wont really need to do any auto tune runs, the map you get from Fuel Moto will be pretty damn close, I wouldnt expect miracles.
Thank you for the quick response. Bob told me that I may not need to run the autotune. He said that for my set up (CFR/ V&H Power Dual & SE/AC), the map should be perfect. But again, I'm not sure what the feeling would be so that I would have to run auto tune.

I'm sorry guys, all of this is not clicking 100% yet. I'm sure once I get my bike and start playing with this it'll make sense. But right now, it's like speaking chinese to me.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:02 PM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,608 Likes on 2,727 Posts

Just make sure when you get it, you download and install the PV_update client software to update the firmware and the database on the device before you flash your bike.

(LOL, just noticed they are running Windows XP in this example - crazy stupid.

Last edited by Keithhu; 10-28-2015 at 07:04 PM.
Old 10-28-2015, 07:13 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,362 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Before you do anything. Save a copy of the current tune then copy it to a place on your computer and keep it safe. Should you ever need to restore the factory tune.

Old 10-28-2015, 09:58 PM
PTAG
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got my PV about 6 weeks ago. Basically if it runs good leave it alone. No need for autotune. my setup is pretty basic like yours. I just added the dresser duals and Fuel Moto promptly sent me a new map. It runs perfect also. Accelerates as it should, no popping on decal, great gas mileage. Spend you time playing with the guages. I have the screen with 6 set to temp, idle, instant MPG, avg MPG, and current rpm.

I did run several seeons of the basic autotune and didn't improve anything. Loaded the FM map back and couldn't be happier. I see a lot of guys playing around with the maps and that's ok too if you enjoy doing that. I just like to ride

Old 10-29-2015, 05:06 AM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

Everyone's experience is different I guess.. I got my map from fuel moto as well, and I've run numerous sessions and always had changes. A fellow member has tweaked the map 4 times as well.. It didn't run bad at all with the base map but it does run better now

Old 10-29-2015, 05:31 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

If all motors ran the same there would be no reason to autotune, we all know that they don't, minor changes to the exhaust, intake, altitude, temperature and mufflers all change the way the engine will perfom. If you run the auto tune you can just save that map and try another time or keep improving on it. The greastest advantage to the PV is how it can adapt to simple part changes. Good luck

Old 10-29-2015, 05:45 AM
Cliff R
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

+2

If you don't auto-tune then you are not using one of the very best features of the PV. You'd have been just as well off with a PC-5 and just left the tune up to those who wrote the MAP for you....IMHO.

Auto tune, even with the narrow band 02 sensors can achieve big benefits for the end user. It may take several riding sessions and you can even go in and custom tune specific areas of the MAPS that you save.

I spent quite a bit of time with the PV on my 2012 Ultra Limited, and was able to take the basic MAP Fuel Moto provided as a baseline and improve it down in the lower range. In other words I drove the bike in normal fashion, limiting throttle angle to about 30 percent, and rpms to about 3000 to fine tune the areas where the engine spends most of it's time.

I was fine with the heavy/full throttle portion of their MAP, so stayed out of those areas when tuning. Doing this will fine tune the MAP they provided to your riding style, fuel type/quality, and DA where you live. I ended up improving fuel economy and light throttle operation a bit. When all tuning was complete I was getting mid-40's for fuel economy on the highway, which was WAY up from stock and after gutting the CAT and adding 4" slip ons with a PC-5 tuner.

They provide plenty of wire to run up under the tank and put the mount on the handlebar, but you don't have to leave the tuner in place. I would recommend making several MAPS and storing them, then writing over them, and even a little custom tuning with the quick tune feature. It's something that you have to spend some time with for best results. It may take several tanks of fuel on a tune to see all the benefits, and keeping accurate notes. Best part is that you can always go back to the original tune if it all goes to crap on you.

I found that the best tune for my bike with narrow band 02's was to stay in lower rpm's and low throttle angles, and do several riding sessions on the same saved MAP, then accept the changes each time. Hope this helps some?.....Cliff

Old 10-29-2015, 05:51 AM
FX4
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

You want to do the tuning sessions. FM will provide you with a really good starting point but the tuning sessions will really dial the bike in. As mentioned before, save your current ecm map in a safe place so you can go back to the factory map if ever needed. Save the base map from FM so that if something goes wrong with the tuning sessions you can go back and start over.

I ran my bike with the Vision attached all the time mounted to the handle bars and when something would happen I didn't like I would mark it and go in and tweak the map by hand. It's not a problem leaving the vision attached all the time. Just route the cables properly and use a Ram mount on the handlebars.

Quick Reply: Power vision