Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:54 PM
HDJoeK
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Touring Shocks

wanting some input on what the best riding shocks are for a street glide? My Indy sells Legends and said they are the best. I have read a lot about Progressive, Ohlins, and a little about the Legends Revo. Anybody have any experience with these shocks?

Old 10-25-2015, 09:26 PM
Bill03E
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts

I truly believe that Ohlins are the best shock if you don't mind spending the money on them.
I have had stock , progressive, and now Ohlins, and I wish I would have started with the ohlins, because they are custom built for me ,by motorcyclemetal.com

I have no experience with legends Revo shocks.

Old 10-25-2015, 09:58 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

I have a pair of legend revo-A's. Thought they were stiff, worked with legend and they had me send them back to them. They thought something may be defective. They have them now and I'm waiting for a verdict.
I have tried pro-action and super Shox and thought they were also stiff compared to my 13" stock air shocks. I'm almost convinced the air ride may be the smoothest. Of course the big bumps may be pretty harsh.
You will probably have better results no matter what you try because it doesn't get much worse than those 12" SG shocks. Anything is a step up from there.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:01 PM
Buffalolake
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree with Bill. I started off with stock 13" Electra Glide shocks, upgraded to Progressive 412's, and I've now switched to #3,3's from Howard. I should have started with the Ohlins.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:26 PM
dixonk
Extreme HDF Member

Received 7,508 Likes on 3,579 Posts

I've been down this road and learned the hard way. Listen to the suggestions and go with the Ohlins from the beginning and save wasting your money getting there. The Ohlins setup by Howard ride fantastic and you will be completely satisfied with your decision. I have tried the stock, then went with the HD premiums. On a previous bike I have used Progressives. After going to Ohlins I will never run anything else.

Old 10-25-2015, 10:40 PM
smalls78
Road Captain
Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

Ohlins. '15 StreetGlide. Wouldn't even think of anything else.

Old 10-25-2015, 11:28 PM
vizcarmb
Stellar HDF Member
Received 531 Likes on 368 Posts

Pro action shocks are the new game in town. It's baggers mag approved. I'll try them before I spend my money on some ohlins

Old 10-25-2015, 11:55 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 186 Likes on 147 Posts

Three important things to consider no matter the shock brand. Go with the longest shock you can. SG's are a crippled with 2" of travel. Second, go with a custom built shock. ie spring size and valving for the rider style and weight, 1up or 2up or a balance for both. Third, get a rebuild-able shock.

This leaves you with Ohlins and Works Performance. Works Steel Trackers are no doubt the best bang for the buck. Made in USA, custom built, rebuild-able and are made in custom lengths of 1/4" increments. Being 6'2", I went with a 13 1/2" shock that has 4 1/2" of travel. Almost enough suspension travel to qualify as a 20th century motorcycle.

Old 10-26-2015, 07:33 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by vizcarmb
Pro action shocks are the new game in town. It's baggers mag approved. I'll try them before I spend my money on some ohlins
I have them and they are very good shocks but you're not really saving any money from what I have seen. They do take some time to break in though. I have about 600 miles on them and they ride very well.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:07 AM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
Three important things to consider no matter the shock brand. Go with the longest shock you can. SG's are a crippled with 2" of travel. Second, go with a custom built shock. ie spring size and valving for the rider style and weight, 1up or 2up or a balance for both. Third, get a rebuild-able shock.

This leaves you with Ohlins and Works Performance. Works Steel Trackers are no doubt the best bang for the buck. Made in USA, custom built, rebuild-able and are made in custom lengths of 1/4" increments. Being 6'2", I went with a 13 1/2" shock that has 4 1/2" of travel. Almost enough suspension travel to qualify as a 20th century motorcycle.
Legend Revo's are rebuild-able and made in USA!

Quick Reply: Touring Shocks