Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2015, 11:01 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

As was mentioned, lots of "ignorance" regarding suspension and Harleys. Lots of blind love also which keeps the conversation interesting, and entertaining once you learn who the fanz are.

To say a shock can provide "infinite" control due to an adjustable damping **** is far from true.

It was also suggested that a rider can adjust the **** as road conditions vary and change. That would require many, many stops along the journey...

btw - I posted an Ohlins thread in the softail section a week ago. Ohlins has plans for a 2nd generation softail shock.

Old 11-10-2015, 05:47 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts

Originally Posted by KumaRide
As was mentioned, lots of "ignorance" regarding suspension and Harleys. Lots of blind love also which keeps the conversation interesting, and entertaining once you learn who the fanz are..
As the kettle said to the pot......your black.

More adjustment.... why wouldn't you want that? I don't change my suspension daily but if i want to on a solo trip i will spend the couple minutes to adjust stuff the same way i would to go from flat ohio to curve carve in the smokies. If you don't want the adjustment fine but don't hate on the others that want the ability to adjust.

As i stated before. Damping and spring rate are related. I never stated that there was infinite adjustability. Ordering from a company that takes weight, riding style and expectations into account will get you close enough to allow the fine tuning to get the best ride possible.

But...... as you say.....it is interesting to see where the blind love is.........

Old 12-03-2015, 10:07 AM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

okay read this whole thread....Has anyone used the Legend Suspension Aero HVG Air Suspension.... same price as other premium shocks as long as you don't get the onboard air. just use the hand pump

I just need to know if they are a good great or mediocre improvement over stock air shocks? Thanks

Old 12-03-2015, 10:46 AM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,173 Likes on 4,386 Posts

Originally Posted by TOFTS
okay read this whole thread....Has anyone used the Legend Suspension Aero HVG Air Suspension.... same price as other premium shocks as long as you don't get the onboard air. just use the hand pump

I just need to know if they are a good great or mediocre improvement over stock air shocks? Thanks
I haven't used them, but I can't imagine they would be significantly better than OEM. The usual advantage to air shocks is the ability to fine tune (height and/or preload) while you ride. That requires the compressor type set-up.

I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong.

The legend air shocks (regardless of model), will not give you the same performance or adjustability as a similarly priced premium shock

My basic understanding of air shocks is that the air bladder replaces the coil over spring. Adding/removing air allows you to set ride height and preload. Their is still a damping system within the shock that is not adjustable.

Different air systems will have different damping, but the air is air, very similar.

I woud suggest you try changing the shock oil in your OEM air shocks to a heavier grade, effectively changing the damping a little. I'd try that before rolling the dice on an expensive air shock that may be the same as OEM with different damping characteristics.

One other thing to consider, I've yet to see a racing motorcycle... where suspension is critical... that uses air shocks.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with your decision/choice...!

Last edited by hattitude; 12-03-2015 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-04-2015, 07:24 PM
TOFTS
Tourer
Received 66 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
I haven't used them, but I can't imagine they would be significantly better than OEM. The usual advantage to air shocks is the ability to fine tune (height and/or preload) while you ride. That requires the compressor type set-up.

I'm sure I will be corrected if wrong.

The legend air shocks (regardless of model), will not give you the same performance or adjustability as a similarly priced premium shock

My basic understanding of air shocks is that the air bladder replaces the coil over spring. Adding/removing air allows you to set ride height and preload. Their is still a damping system within the shock that is not adjustable.

Different air systems will have different damping, but the air is air, very similar.

I woud suggest you try changing the shock oil in your OEM air shocks to a heavier grade, effectively changing the damping a little. I'd try that before rolling the dice on an expensive air shock that may be the same as OEM with different damping characteristics.

One other thing to consider, I've yet to see a racing motorcycle... where suspension is critical... that uses air shocks.

Just my 2 cents, good luck with your decision/choice...!
Thanks for the input ....Yes your post addresses most of my concerns, one being damping but i believe the legends air have adjustable damping I just thought it would be easier to adjust between 1up and 2up and some times extra 50# of gear traveling... so Ohlins seem to be the consensus thanks again

Old 12-04-2015, 07:29 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,406 Likes on 1,581 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
Are Harley OEM Air shocks serviceable?

Old 12-04-2015, 09:05 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

I'm interested in getting shocks for my Electra Glide. I'm wondering how much to spend. I'd hate to spend hundreds of dollars and find out I should have spent more or gone with another company. Öhlins may be expensive but it is the best shock for the price.
You guys talk about Howard from motorcyclemetal.com That web site doesn't mention true price only MSRP. The odd thing is they talk about taking apart your new shocks to re-valve, re-spring or do other mods at no extra cost. So then if they really have a set price what is it? No big deal.

I've been researching the options and here's what I've found.

MotorcycleMetal.com talks about #2 emulsified shocks at about $709. This is Öhlins model 022.

#3 separated is $1007 MSRP. That is Öhlins model 159. The separated shock has a separate chamber with the nitrogen with a separator piston. This separate chamber is within the main body of the shock (not a remote reservoir). This design, with the separator piston inside, cuts down on the travel.

They also have the #6 Öhlins model 357 with remote at $2000 fricken dollars. No thanks. I think I'd have to use my Electra Glide as a moto crosser to justify spending that much for remote reservoir. A reservoir prevents overheating over rough terrain or hard use. They are not needed for a street shock. Howard says the Öhlins with a remote also has more valving options but again, it's not necessary. The #3 is the most I would spend.

Works Performance Steel Trackers sound good too. They have dual or triple rate springs. Dual rate is nice. That offers a soft ride until the shocks are compressing. Then they get more firm to prevent bottoming out. Tripple rate is not necessary if you ask me.
Works Performance Steel Trackers are $559 or $759 for ARS (Adjustable Rate Suspension) http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

All in all I am thinking I'll be getting the Öhlins model 022 emulsified shocks (2-3) in 13.25 inch (close to stock) length. I like to have my cycle sit high enough for clearance issues. That gives me 4 inches of travel. That is more than enough. Keep in mind that the stock air shocks on my '09 Electra Glide has 3 inches of travel and I do bottom out if I pick up a passenger without pumping up the pressure in the shocks. You do not need more travel than stock shocks to keep from bottoming out. I think even with the 2-2A you wouldn't need to adjust for passengers and still not bottom out.
I will buy them in the spring.

In researching specs for shocks here's what I found.

The column headed "Howard" is really the shock designations on motorcyclemetal.com (Howard is shorter and fits the column better).
What I refer to as "stock" is my 2009 Electra Glide with Air Shocks.

Last edited by Durango Dave; 12-04-2015 at 09:20 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 09:52 PM
Uncle Paul
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 25 Posts

Deal with Howard at Motorcycle metal. Call him on the phone and tell him what you would like to accomplish. He will begin an educational conversation with you that will assist you in deciding for yourself which solution sould most satisy you.

He not only will build and adjust the shocks custom for you, but also give you a significant discount if you mention this forum. Only when you get close to deciding which shock will be right for you will you need pricing, and you will not be paying list prices from Howard.

He has an extensive website that you should take a look at before calling, and refer to it again before ordering. He will walk you through proper installation and be there for you after the sale. He also stands behind his products and can rebuild and service your shocks down the road as it becomes necessary.

Premium Hand adjustable emulsion shocks from Harley are another option, as they usually are available in classifieds for around $300. Shocks will cost more from Howard, but they are top shelf.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:08 PM
hattitude
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 8,173 Likes on 4,386 Posts

Originally Posted by TSheff
Are Harley OEM Air shocks serviceable?
You can change the fluid....

I replaced my OEM air shocks with Super Shocks. I was having trouble dialing in the Super Shocks to my liking.

So as a back-up I built a shock press (I saw the idea on a forum). It allowed me to remove the OEM fluid and replace it with 10oz of BelRay HVI Suspension fluid in 10 wt. The OEM air shock fluid is reported to be 5 wt.

I have the shocks drained, refilled, and ready to try.

Luckily, I've been able to get the Super Shocks pretty close to my liking so I haven't gone back to the OEM air shocks with the heavier fluid..... yet.....

I've read on a couple different forums where people have changed to 10wt or even 15wt fluid, and liked the OEM air shocks with the fluid change. One review said that with the 10wt fluid, he only had to put in 15psi when riding double.

Granted, the good reviews are all hearsay on my part at this time....

PS- here's the thread I followed in changing my fluid & making my shock device.
Oops, it wouldn't let me paste an URL to another forum...

Here's the guy who did the write up, with his device I copied;

Here's his write up:
Changing oil in your air shocks
There has been some discussion on changing oil in your shocks. By changing the weight of oil you can adjust the dampening. This is done all the time in racing bikes and quads. I changed the oil in my own bikes shocks and found it to be quite easy and the results were well worth it. I had problems with bottoming out all the time even with the air pressure as high as I dare putting in to them as much as 50 psi. After the change of oil to a 10 weight only 12 to 15 psi was needed even with a heavily loaded ultra. I made a simple press out of materials I bought at Home Depot about 20$ and is makes the oil change about a 30 minute job. My adapter made from a 1/8 pipe nipple and a 45 street el and a spark plug boot and small funnel make up the rest of the parts needed.
1 With the shock removed and brass fitting out of it install the shock upside down with the adapter pipe installed, It takes about 5 complete strokes on the handle to empty the shock of its old dirty oil about 10 oz.
2 Turn the empty shock over and put the funnel into the spark plug boot and measure out 10 oz of clean suspension oil into your measuring cup I used a ratio rite.
3 While pumping with short strokes on the press add the oil into the funnel and do not over fill because by pumping you will be burping out the air and sucking the oil into the shock.
4 when the shock is filled with no more than 10 oz of oil put the air fitting back on the shock with thread sealant and reinstall on the bike. You are now ready to do the same for the second shock.

Last edited by hattitude; 12-04-2015 at 10:19 PM.
Old 12-04-2015, 10:30 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
I'm interested in getting shocks for my Electra Glide. I'm wondering how much to spend. I'd hate to spend hundreds of dollars and find out I should have spent more or gone with another company. Öhlins may be expensive but it is the best shock for the price.
You guys talk about Howard from motorcyclemetal.com That web site doesn't mention true price only MSRP. The odd thing is they talk about taking apart your new shocks to re-valve, re-spring or do other mods at no extra cost. So then if they really have a set price what is it? No big deal.

I've been researching the options and here's what I've found.

MotorcycleMetal.com talks about #2 emulsified shocks at about $709. This is Öhlins model 022.

#3 separated is $1007 MSRP. That is Öhlins model 159. The separated shock has a separate chamber with the nitrogen with a separator piston. This separate chamber is within the main body of the shock (not a remote reservoir). This design, with the separator piston inside, cuts down on the travel.

They also have the #6 Öhlins model 357 with remote at $2000 fricken dollars. No thanks. I think I'd have to use my Electra Glide as a moto crosser to justify spending that much for remote reservoir. A reservoir prevents overheating over rough terrain or hard use. They are not needed for a street shock. Howard says the Öhlins with a remote also has more valving options but again, it's not necessary. The #3 is the most I would spend.

Works Performance Steel Trackers sound good too. They have dual or triple rate springs. Dual rate is nice. That offers a soft ride until the shocks are compressing. Then they get more firm to prevent bottoming out. Tripple rate is not necessary if you ask me.
Works Performance Steel Trackers are $559 or $759 for ARS (Adjustable Rate Suspension) http://www.worksperformance.com/html/street.html

All in all I am thinking I'll be getting the Öhlins model 022 emulsified shocks (2-3) in 13.25 inch (close to stock) length. I like to have my cycle sit high enough for clearance issues. That gives me 4 inches of travel. That is more than enough. Keep in mind that the stock air shocks on my '09 Electra Glide has 3 inches of travel and I do bottom out if I pick up a passenger without pumping up the pressure in the shocks. You do not need more travel than stock shocks to keep from bottoming out. I think even with the 2-2A you wouldn't need to adjust for passengers and still not bottom out.
I will buy them in the spring.

In researching specs for shocks here's what I found.

The column headed "Howard" is really the shock designations on motorcyclemetal.com (Howard is shorter and fits the column better).
What I refer to as "stock" is my 2009 Electra Glide with Air Shocks.

A lot of people here have drank the Ohlin KoolAid, LOL and I am sure they are good shocks... I got my 04 new and went through all this and ended up with Works Performance and they worked very good - I got my 15 in Aug and again wanted better rear shocks... looked at the Ohlins but ended up calling and talking to Randle at Works - What I liked about Works... They talked to me and helped me to understand... Both build great shocks... Since I had good luck the first 10 years - I just ordered mine last week from Works.. hint,, look for a Christmas sale at Works... give them a call - I am sure I will be very happy - I ride 2 up most of the time

Note.. My 2015 Ultra was born as a LOW - Hated the ride.. I have changed the front Back to stock height and ordered the 13" shocks for the reare

Quick Reply: Touring Shocks