Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2015, 10:29 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Lightbulb

Adjustability? Essential IMHO. If you only ever ride solo and never carry much luggage then a set of non-adjustable shocks could be just the right thing, but if your rolling weight varies between solo, 2-up and full trans-continental touring mode, then the springs need to be adjustable at the very least. Damping adjustment is also essential, if only to allow the ride to be set just so.

Unfortunately there is inordinate ignorance amongst the Harley family on the subject of suspension, from the factory down, so we should not be surprised that we get so many different opinions.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:37 AM
lyork
Stellar HDF Member
Received 451 Likes on 318 Posts

Here's the thing--as long as they're set up correctly initially, there shouldn't be a need for much adjustment once you get them. The nice thing about the stock premium shocks is they have an adjustment **** that's fairly easy to dial. THe bad thing is it's on the wrong side.

Ohlins--infinitely adjustable, sounds like an excellent shock. Must be adjusted on both sides when changing from one up to two up (something I do quite often, head out solo, then pick up a passenger). 6-8 turns each side, adjustment tool may or may not be needed

Pro-Action--doesn't have the track record of the Ohlins. Seems like an excellent shock. Should have enough adjustment to get it dialed in perfectly. Needs little to no adjustment to go from solo to two up. Only one side needs adjusted by one turn. Adjustment needs a tool (Allen wrench) and it's on the correct side for adjustment.

I'm a bigger guy (6"1' 280lbs) and although my stockers are pretty good, I'm definitely looking to upgrade. Thought I was sold on the #3-3, now it sounds like the #2 adjustable is the better choice. But now--the Pro-Action shock is awfully appealing in the solo to two up category.

Old 11-08-2015, 11:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by lyork
Ohlins--infinitely adjustable, sounds like an excellent shock. Must be adjusted on both sides when changing from one up to two up (something I do quite often, head out solo, then pick up a passenger). 6-8 turns each side, adjustment tool may or may not be needed
Not so. Adjusting from solo to 2-up is optional, but they have the means of doing that. If you only take a lightweight for occasional rides you may not need to make any adjustment. If you are setting off together on that coast-to-coast trip you always promised yourselves, it would be wise to adjust them accordingly! You may find a single set-up that does everything you need - you have free choice and complete control!

Old 11-08-2015, 04:02 PM
Hammz
Grand HDF Member

Received 580 Likes on 419 Posts

Originally Posted by lyork
Here's the thing--as long as they're set up correctly initially, there shouldn't be a need for much adjustment once you get them. The nice thing about the stock premium shocks is they have an adjustment **** that's fairly easy to dial. THe bad thing is it's on the wrong side.

Pro-Action--doesn't have the track record of the Ohlins. Seems like an excellent shock. Should have enough adjustment to get it dialed in perfectly. Needs little to no adjustment to go from solo to two up. Only one side needs adjusted by one turn. Adjustment needs a tool (Allen wrench) and it's on the correct side for adjustment.

I'm a bigger guy (6"1' 280lbs) and although my stockers are pretty good, I'm definitely looking to upgrade. Thought I was sold on the #3-3, now it sounds like the #2 adjustable is the better choice. But now--the Pro-Action shock is awfully appealing in the solo to two up category.
Just went through setting up the ProActions on a buddy's bike ('13 Limited). After a couple days w/o getting the setup to our satisfaction, a call to the company & short discussion got us a new recommendation over the phone. Made the recommended adjustments & got the ride/handling we were looking for. Upgraded rear suspension made the stock front suspension glaringly inadequate.. Bike's now in the shop getting Progressive cartridge front end.

Old 11-08-2015, 04:09 PM
y22c
Road Master
Received 163 Likes on 102 Posts

Just installed 12" Suspension Technologies shocks on my FLHX

A world of difference.

Mike asked my weight and sprung them for 165# .

More than very pleased, and built in Florida.

Ken

Old 11-08-2015, 04:46 PM
Pierre
Tourer
Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

I put Pro Action 13 inches on my 2013 Road King.
I'm in love they are awesome , before i have the HD Premiums 12",they ride too stiff at the lowest Setting, also a set of Progressive 440 13" when they are set right for the little bumps they bottom on the bigger, never able to get them right... My Pro Action where a bit stiff at first remove a few click of freebleed and bingo, smooth on the small bumps and no bottoming... Can't be happier

Attached Thumbnails Touring Shocks-image.jpeg  
Old 11-08-2015, 08:05 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

The shocks that are made for better handling are also more firm. That's okay with me. I ride solo most of the time but when I pickup someone I hate it when my shocks bottom out. When someone asks for a ride I don't want to say "wait while I get out my air pump. Let's see I need to bring this up to 10 psi ... or was that 15 psi ... ok, now I can give you a ride."
those of you with aftermarket shocks that are not air shocks, are you able to give someone a ride without adjusting the shock? I know that's less likely if you have lowered your ride.
Also when giving someone a ride it may be softer due to the extra weight. That's ok. I like it firm when riding solo. Passengers like it soft.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:23 PM
nocarb
Road Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

I just installed Ohlins #2 adjustables today from Motorcycle Metal. Have only got about 10 chilly miles on them. But so far a huge difference. Small bumps have disappeared. Took the wife out without adjusting and she also noticed a big difference. Went on a road we normally ride often and she said (wow smooth) a couple times.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:49 AM
dajogejr
Road Warrior
Received 898 Likes on 526 Posts

Originally Posted by nocarb
Went on a road we normally ride often and she said (wow smooth) a couple times.
Ditto. In order to get anywhere from my sub there are a few roads that used to make me pucker and grit my teeth at the same time.
Now...I still can't believe I'm riding the same road.
And the ms. has said wow a few times...

Old 11-10-2015, 04:27 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Cool

Originally Posted by Durango Dave
The shocks that are made for better handling are also more firm. That's okay with me.
That isn't necessarily so! Better handling shocks come with much better damping, which control wheel motion better than cheap shocks. If the better shocks have short travel they may well feel firmer, but some of the better shocks have significantly more travel than stock ones.

I ride solo most of the time but when I pickup someone I hate it when my shocks bottom out. When someone asks for a ride I don't want to say "wait while I get out my air pump. Let's see I need to bring this up to 10 psi ... or was that 15 psi ... ok, now I can give you a ride."
those of you with aftermarket shocks that are not air shocks, are you able to give someone a ride without adjusting the shock?
Yes!

I know that's less likely if you have lowered your ride.
Depends how that is done. There are short shocks available with decent travel, similar to stock length shocks.

I've been riding for almost 50 years. For all my early years adjustable shocks were an unknown - we got on the bike and rode, regardless of what and who was on the bike. Making adjustments of any sort came along later and then, if we were lucky, it was three positions on a spring pre-load. IMHO that gave us no significant improvement over what we had before!

The availability of adjustable shocks on touring and custom bikes is very recent. My '03 FXDXT had fully adjustable springs and dampers at both ends, but that model didn't last long at all. It was the last (possibly only) big twin Harley with good quality suspension. We still don't get decent adjustable suspension on new Harleys, it is only the aftermarket that supplies it and that is largely down to Howard Messner of Motorcycle Metal.

IMHO the CVO models should all come with top shelf Ohlins suspension both ends. That will soon wake up the market to the benefit of a decent riding and handling bike!

Quick Reply: Touring Shocks