Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Touring Shocks

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 10:45 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,417 Likes on 1,585 Posts

Originally Posted by hattitude
3 While pumping with short strokes on the press add the oil into the funnel and do not over fill because by pumping you will be burping out the air and sucking the oil into the shock.
4 when the shock is filled with no more than 10 oz of oil put the air fitting back on the shock with thread sealant and reinstall on the bike. You are now ready to do the same for the second shock.[/I]
OK - That's why I asked, the port in the shock is only 1/8" and it is on the side of the inlet, making hard to fill. I drilled through (figured they sucked anyway, so I couldn't ruin them) and used a turkey syringe to fill. I will also experiment with weights and air pressure. Thanks

Last edited by TSheff; 12-05-2015 at 08:23 AM.
Old 12-05-2015, 03:48 AM
LQQK_OUT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,657 Likes on 1,129 Posts

One minor correction to your chart. The Ohlins 357 (#6) have an adjustable length (-10 mm). I was looking for a quality shock with the most travel, hence I purchased the #6's.

Originally Posted by Durango Dave

In researching specs for shocks here's what I found.

Old 12-17-2015, 07:53 PM
draggingframe13
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just called and talked with Howard. He's definitely a good time to talk to, he's full of knowledge. I wish I would have recorded the conversation just so I could soak all the information in. Looks like I'll be going with either #2 adjustable or the #6 without the reservoir. After hours of research, I should have just called him in the first place.

Old 12-18-2015, 07:58 AM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by LQQK_OUT
One minor correction to your chart. The Ohlins 357 (#6) have an adjustable length (-10 mm). I was looking for a quality shock with the most travel, hence I purchased the #6's.

My Works Performance 13 1/2" shocks have 4" of travel.

Old 12-18-2015, 08:20 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,867 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Wink

Length/travel isn't everything! It's what the shocks do with it that matters. Some have superior damping to others.....

Old 12-18-2015, 01:44 PM
greggmig
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my progressive 970 remote reservoir shocks got then at a great price transforms the bike to a smoother more connected feel which you can adjust to your riding style.
I spoke with the progressive guys in Sturgis about warranty they said it was lifetime as long as you have the receipt. He said you pay all that money we will cover anything send them back even for wear and tear and that was from the horses mouth.

Old 12-18-2015, 03:40 PM
scottt
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 164 Likes on 104 Posts

Do most of the aftermarket shocks available for our bikes offer Spherical Bearings? Just installed Legend Revo shocks on my 14 Limited and love the results. Wonder if there use of Spherical Bearings on each end contributes to there performance? Just curious

Old 12-18-2015, 03:47 PM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3,407 Likes on 1,593 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by scottt
Do most of the aftermarket shocks available for our bikes offer Spherical Bearings? Just installed Legend Revo shocks on my 14 Limited and love the results. Wonder if there use of Spherical Bearings on each end contributes to there performance? Just curious
I know pro action does.

Old 12-18-2015, 04:04 PM
Durango Dave
Road Captain
Received 508 Likes on 152 Posts

Wonder if there use of Spherical Bearings on each end contributes to there performance? Just curious
Yes
cheep oem shocks use rubber. they compress before the shock starts to do it's job. As they wear and they have even more slop in the holes. Polyurethane are more firm. When you buy the more expensive shocks you don't want any free play or flex at the bushings. That's when you want spherical bearings.

Old 12-18-2015, 05:36 PM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The spherical bearings allow the shock to function with no binding if the swingarm and upper shock mount aren't perfectly aligned. If you don't have spherical bearings, you should probably shim the mounts so it aligns. I would agree that a premium product ought to include the spherical bearings.

Quick Reply: Touring Shocks