Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stage 1 question

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 06:26 PM
wareagle32
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stage 1 question

I installed Wild Pigs slip-ons last week before heading to Daytona. When I got there, one of the pipes had started to blue. I called the manufacturer and they said it was because the bike was running too lean. They sent me out a replacement pipe at no charge. I plan on upgrading the air filter and taking the bike to the dealership to have it tuned. My question is this, can I buy a K&N air filter and use the stock housing? Is that considered a stage one upgrade? Or do I need to buy an actual stage one upgrade with mounting kit?

Old 10-22-2015, 08:13 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 10-22-2015, 08:16 PM
massparanoia
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure what bike you have, but "stage 1" is air cleaner, exhaust, and EFI tuner if you have fuel injection or rejetting the carb. If you just change the air cleaner without a tune then it'll just run leaner than before.

Old 10-22-2015, 08:43 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,844 Likes on 1,084 Posts

Originally Posted by massparanoia
Not sure what bike you have, but "stage 1" is air cleaner, exhaust, and EFI tuner if you have fuel injection or rejetting the carb. If you just change the air cleaner without a tune then it'll just run leaner than before.
The air cleaner also includes a new backing plate and not just a filter element which actually allows a higher flow rate.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:29 PM
grapeapes
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

^ right. With just the air filter you might get more flow but not nearly as much as without the backing plate. or I should say with the new SE backing plate.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:39 PM
harley0711
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 94 Likes on 80 Posts

are you leaving the Cats in??

I also did the slip ons - Rush - No bluing but they have different packing up front to help this Not happen..

I have ask the question about doing the stage one AC and upload - have been told its mostly a waste of $$ since I am leaving the Cat in??

would be interested to see what you gain out of yours ?? 150 for the kit and another 100-150 for the shop upload

Old 10-22-2015, 10:05 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,199 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by wareagle32
I installed Wild Pigs slip-ons last week before heading to Daytona. When I got there, one of the pipes had started to blue. I called the manufacturer and they said it was because the bike was running too lean. They sent me out a replacement pipe at no charge. I plan on upgrading the air filter and taking the bike to the dealership to have it tuned. My question is this, can I buy a K&N air filter and use the stock housing? Is that considered a stage one upgrade? Or do I need to buy an actual stage one upgrade with mounting kit?
A K&N filter element is a step up from the stock element, however, a True Stage I air cleaner is going to be a whole new unit, and preferably one that does not feed hot, oily, oxygen depleted air into the engine...most of them do this, and the result is a hotter running, lower performing engine that has it's longevity cut short.

Regarding the tuning, 9 out 10 times you are Not going to get a good tune out of a Dealership. #1 reason is that, by law, they cannot tune it rich enough to run good.

Better to get an XiED product (budget) or a Power Vision (best there is) and you do not need to pay anybody to tune it, and you know you will have a good tune.

This LINK has some good info over-viewing what makes up a good Stage I vs. a mediocre or bad one.

All Stage I's are NOT created equal!

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 10-22-2015, 10:18 PM
decencyxdefied
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 728 Likes on 487 Posts

Power vision is the way to go if u can spare the money

Old 10-22-2015, 11:56 PM
CaptJIM
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wareagle, I had a similar experience, but with Vance & Hines Hi-Output slip ons. There was bluing right at the internal part of the rear chrome end cap after riding it home 30 miles from the dealership. I contacted both the dealer that put them on and Vance & Hines...they both said the bluing was normal. Well I saw at least 5 other late model touring bikes with these slip ons at the H-D Museum bike night a few days later, and none of them had bluing. I am pretty sure mine blued due to a lean running condition. I do not yet have a stage 1 A/C or aftermarket fuel management system.

Doesn't make sense that your pipe manufacturer would send you a new pipe when the bluing occurred due to no fault of their's. Didn't the new one just blue like the original anyway?

Power Vision is way overkill for what you need to correct a lean condition on a Stage 1. All you need is the XIED's or the Vance & Hines Fuelpak.

Old 10-23-2015, 10:31 AM
Sixgunjr
Cruiser
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I always thought the bluing looked cool.

Quick Reply: Stage 1 question