Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vinyl Wrap??

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2015, 02:09 PM
PFWiz
Stellar HDF Member

Received 384 Likes on 229 Posts
Default Vinyl Wrap??

Has anyone had their bike vinyl wrapped?

I was starting to consider getting my bike painted next year, when in a fit of the obvious I thought, "Hey, what about vinyl wrap?"

So has anyone out there done it? I am talking about wrapping the entire bike either in a single color or with printed wrap.

Let me know what you think of it (would you do it again?) and please include some pics...

Thanks.

Old 10-21-2015, 02:21 PM
y2kflhr
Road Captain
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a friend who had his rocker vinyl wrapped, it was pretty cool actually, can help with details though

Old 10-21-2015, 05:23 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,077 Posts

I think that Hydrographics with a clearcoat overlay would be a better alternative.

The following users liked this post:
Dezal (06-23-2019)
Old 10-21-2015, 05:38 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,238 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
I think that Hydrographics with a clearcoat overlay would be a better alternative.
^^^^^This^^^^^
I've seen some pretty cool bike done this way and the finishes are unreal.

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 10-21-2015, 06:07 PM
PhatTerry
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Surprised more people don't do this. They can pretty much wrap anything now.

Old 10-21-2015, 11:22 PM
brad75raiders
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts

I wrapped my boat with high quality 3m product and if I rub or bump something it rips... don't do it unless is a show bike . And you don't ride it.

Old 10-22-2015, 12:09 AM
TriGeezer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 29,835 Likes on 11,301 Posts

The attached Can Am is in our Patriot Guard. It looks real cool and was an excellent job. But, it doesn't shine like clear coated paint, and is fading in areas.

Attached Thumbnails Vinyl Wrap??-image.jpg  
Old 10-22-2015, 12:22 AM
2500hdon37s
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,557 Likes on 673 Posts

Just NO. Not on a motorcycle.

Vinyl wrap is great for a promotional vehicle, a vehicle that the wrap wont be on long, or a company vehicle one doesnt care about.

Hard to get a wrap to lay flat on your tank too, but an experienced installer can get it to lay smooth. I have a good friend that has his Jeep wrapped to promote his business, and it was professionally installed by a place that all they do is wraps. When he first got it, it looked great! but now with ~8 months on it, the edges are pealing up, its faded, and split in a few places if you look close any where its on a body line, edge, or where door seems are etc. And when you take it off... you'll be left with the residue on your paint.

Old 10-22-2015, 04:55 AM
BadX
Elite HDF Member
Received 88 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by 2500hdon37s
Just NO. Not on a motorcycle.

Vinyl wrap is great for a promotional vehicle, a vehicle that the wrap wont be on long, or a company vehicle one doesnt care about.

Hard to get a wrap to lay flat on your tank too, but an experienced installer can get it to lay smooth. I have a good friend that has his Jeep wrapped to promote his business, and it was professionally installed by a place that all they do is wraps. When he first got it, it looked great! but now with ~8 months on it, the edges are pealing up, its faded, and split in a few places if you look close any where its on a body line, edge, or where door seems are etc. And when you take it off... you'll be left with the residue on your paint.

I'd tell your friend to take it back and have it fixed. I have had the company truck and our enclosed trailer wrapped for 9 years the first thing the installer asked me was how long do you intend to have it on? Is this a few month promotion or vehicle to be driven daily for advertising. The truck had the vinyl on for 5 years, the trailer had it on it for 6 years and we ended up having to replace a few panels. The truck we traded in for a new one and the enclosed trailer we still have. Vinyl wrap is similar to paint, you have maintain it but the good 3M vinyl will last a very very long time. The enclosed trailer would have lasted longer but it sat parked for about a year and the sun hit it everyday in the same spot and we didn't maintain it and by maintaining it all you need to do is wash it and actually put a little wax on it. I wouldn't be afraid of wrapping a motorcycle, like mentioned before it don't shine like gloss paint but it all depends on the look you are after.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:42 AM
jrrarr
Advanced
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I tried to vinyl wrap an inexpensive trunk I had on my Suzuki Boulevard. Never done it before and it didn't go well, trunk just has too many facets, at least for my skills. Was trying to get the trunk to look more like the finish on the leather saddlebags. Ended up painting the trunk with Plasti-Dip, you can buy it in rattle cans, and it turned out great. Much easier than fighting with vinyl. If you go the Plasti-Dip route then cover it with clear coat, I used matte clear coat.

Quick Reply: Vinyl Wrap??