Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wont start

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 05:47 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Former firefighter here...maybe I'm an extremist, but I replace "all" batteries every October (Fire Prevention Month). Never had a FOB, garage keypad, and/or smoke/CO2 detector fail yet.

Old 11-09-2015, 02:58 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

So here is the deal on this. I ride with a large group. The last two times we had a group of 20 bikes or more. Both days we had multiple stops. At each stop, there were several bikes that wouldn't recognize the fob. This has to be some interference issue, some say security cameras. The fix is to push the bike several feet on one direction. In one case, we had to push one bike almost 1/4 mile.

As I said, I ride with a large group and this has only been an issue recently. Something has had to change, because we are all having issues now. Ideas?

Old 11-09-2015, 03:03 PM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 333 Likes on 248 Posts

Seems strange that if the FOB was with you, in the nice warm gym, that it being cold would be an issue???
My guess is bad batteries in the FOB that need to be changed.

Old 11-09-2015, 03:29 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

Never ceases to amaze me that people pay extra for a gadget that IMMOBILIZES their bike and then don't learn how it works and the work around if it fails. Not a question of "IF", but a question of "When". All you need to know is in the owner's manual. I even had to lead my buddy through it. He has had Harley's for 50 years and must have assumed he knew how to run a Harley, but never looked at the security information for his first machine to have it.

After seeing these almost identical pleas for help for several years on many forums I'm getting crabby. My bike won't start, security light is flashing. What's wrong? My first reaction these days is "dumb ***!" Guess I shouldn't even open these threads any more, but I keep thinking someday it might actually be a GENUINE malfunction and I could learn something.

Last edited by btsom; 11-09-2015 at 03:36 PM.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:03 PM
Ganooch
Road Warrior
Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by btsom
Never ceases to amaze me that people pay extra for a gadget that IMMOBILIZES their bike and then don't learn how it works and the work around if it fails. Not a question of "IF", but a question of "When". All you need to know is in the owner's manual. I even had to lead my buddy through it. He has had Harley's for 50 years and must have assumed he knew how to run a Harley, but never looked at the security information for his first machine to have it.

After seeing these almost identical pleas for help for several years on many forums I'm getting crabby. My bike won't start, security light is flashing. What's wrong? My first reaction these days is "dumb ***!" Guess I shouldn't even open these threads any more, but I keep thinking someday it might actually be a GENUINE malfunction and I could learn something.
So, in my opinion, the first thing you can learn is how to check your attitude.

This IS a real issue, if you read my post. Several bikes, several occurrences across two long rides. All of their batteries were not dead or weak. Several were brand new bikes. There is an interference issue that has started recently. Not sure what it is. I know my PIN. My other buddies didn't know theirs, so we had to push their bikes. They now do know their PINs.

Call me a dumb *** if you want, I don't know you, and I highly doubt that if you knew me you would say it to my face. Take your own advice and stop opening these threads. Might be better for you.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:46 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member
Received 768 Likes on 521 Posts

I re-read the OP. I noticed it wasn't you. If you choose to take my comment as addressed to you PERSONALLY, not much I can do about that. I even gave an example of the typical posts that I was talking about. If YOU read your book congratulations, you are one out of about 100. Now, smooth your feathers and go on about your business.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:54 PM
TSheff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,416 Likes on 1,584 Posts

Originally Posted by BOSOXFan
Oh well. Bought an extra to keep in the saddle bag.
Hope you mean battery...
I know someone who leaves there FOB in their bag for convenience, Steal me - PLEASE Steal Me.

Old 11-09-2015, 05:03 PM
HazyHog
Road Captain
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Strange but true: your FOB battery will discharge quicker if kept in close proximity to a computer.