Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 04:55 PM
LDR
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with oil leak

I have a 2011 ultra limited edition with 34,000 miles on it. A while back I spent $$$ to get an oil leak fixed. After the 2nd oil change I now have the oil leak again. Is there some known issue that I should be aware of? I haven't had a leaker since the early days of the evo. This is extremely frustrating on a bike in this price range.

Old 10-18-2015, 05:00 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,765 Likes on 3,146 Posts

There are 64 'O' rings and seals on a Twin Cam motor. Do think you might get a little more specific for us?

Old 10-18-2015, 05:25 PM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is under the V shaped noisy thing or one of the round thingies?

Old 10-18-2015, 06:12 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by LDR
I have a 2011 ultra limited edition with 34,000 miles on it. A while back I spent $$$ to get an oil leak fixed. After the 2nd oil change I now have the oil leak again. Is there some known issue that I should be aware of? I haven't had a leaker since the early days of the evo. This is extremely frustrating on a bike in this price range.
=======================================

" after the 2nd oil change I now have the oil leak again. "

Well since it happened post 2nd oil change maybe its residule after doing oil change dripping which is a comon issue with these bikes especially if they have an oil cooler mounted below volt reg under oil filter where oil get on everything.

After i do an oil change on my 09 flhtcu with an oil cooler mounted below volt reg I place a drain pan under volt reg/oil filter area and spray a liberal dose (a lot!) of brakleen in all areas under the oil filter, below volt reg,in & out of the oil cooler & housing along with all the wiring in that area & lower frame too.

You would be surprised how much residule oil is left behind post doing an oil change which doing what i suggest above took care of on my bike when residule oil used to drip for days/miles post doing an oil & filter change no matter how carefull i was & or how much i tried to wipe it down.

After doing that there isnt a drop of residule oil dripping from the bike anymore.

scott

Last edited by wscott; 10-18-2015 at 06:16 PM.
Old 10-18-2015, 07:31 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

It could be residual oil from a sloppy *** oil change from the dealer.

It could also be from the bottom of the transmission cover where those two bottom bolts get loose. Might want to check that plus be more precise on where the hell the leak is coming from.

Old 10-19-2015, 05:22 AM
shadowchrome
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It could also be the gasket for the oil cooler adapter. If the filter is on really tight it can cause the adapter to rotate slightly and break the seal.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:09 AM
electricstart
Road Warrior
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I have had two aftermarket oil filters leak .Slight leak but over time looks like a lot of oil .

Old 10-19-2015, 09:24 AM
tv7son
Cruiser

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a 2011 K bike too. Look at Shadowchrome's first pic. The first leak is the oil cooler adapter on the oil filter. The center nut/oil filter screw will come loose like Shadowchrome said. I have had to replace the cooler adapter to oil filter gasket to be sure it was fixed. That double sided bolt with the flange in the middle is the part that will loosen a little. the front side the filter screws onto. The back side will hold the cooler adapter to the filter adapter. You will need a hex wrench to tighten it.

The second would be the stator wires/plug falling back into the primary. You can see the wires on the second pic. Look down from the filter adapter and a little to the right, you will see a couple of wires surrounded by a rubber grommet. I think the wires can be pried out with a small screw driver. Which I did. And you can clean with brake cleaner and seal with black silicone rubber. Some have had to open the primary to push it out from the inside or replace the whole stator. The reason that leaked was when the compensator was replaced the first time it wasn't pushed out correctly I think.
Good Luck
SFS

Old 10-23-2015, 09:08 PM
LDR
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the responses. Sorry I couldn't be specific about where the leak originates from because I have yet to locate it.

Old 10-24-2015, 04:48 AM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,765 Likes on 3,146 Posts

Originally Posted by LDR
Thanks for all the responses. Sorry I couldn't be specific about where the leak originates from because I have yet to locate it.
Front of the motor? Under the crankcase? Left side primary area? Under the air cleaner? Or is it residue behind the motor landing on your side covers? I think you could work a little harder here. Something!

Quick Reply: Help with oil leak