Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Help with oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2015, 05:06 AM
Campy Roadie
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 5,072 Likes on 2,507 Posts

Originally Posted by LDR
Thanks for all the responses. Sorry I couldn't be specific about where the leak originates from because I have yet to locate it.
If you can't locate it; fug it. Ride the thing. If there's a problem it'll become apparent. If not, you didn't waste any time.

I can tell you this; ANYTHING that has a motor and transmission/primary is going to leak at some point if you truly ride it. It's just the way it is.

Old 10-25-2015, 08:46 PM
HDchrome
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Like Lowcountry Joe said, check those two small bolts on the right side tranny cover. They are the ones that the exhaust bracket attaches to, and they are famous for leaking. They are 1/4" allen, you can get in there with a ball head allen wrench to check if they are loose. If they are, you'll have to devise a tool to tighten them, or remove the exhaust. On my '12 SG, I used one of those very small ratcheting screwdriver bit tools (for a better term...) that take 1/4" hex bits. I cut off a piece of 1/4" allen wrench the correct length, and slipped it in there and tightened them down. Stopped that leak.

Old 11-14-2015, 07:54 PM
LDR
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Found

Originally Posted by LDR
I have a 2011 ultra limited edition with 34,000 miles on it. A while back I spent $$$ to get an oil leak fixed. After the 2nd oil change I now have the oil leak again. Is there some known issue that I should be aware of? I haven't had a leaker since the early days of the evo. This is extremely frustrating on a bike in this price range.
Thanks everyone for your help. I finally was able to take the time and locate my oil leak. It was the oil pan and the transmission cover. I do wish some consideration had been given to tightening up the transmission cover screws without having to remove the exhaust. I now have had all four leaks identified in this thread.

Old 08-21-2017, 06:19 PM
Fuzzymonkey55
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had a leak fixed on my 05 softail (not an EVO) but the mecahanic said it is something he's seen more of on the EVO's. WHat happened was the race for the inner primary bearing moved over against the inner seal of the main drive gear. Put about 200 miles on it this weekend without any drips. Mine was leaving drops towards the rear of the primary, behind the floorboard. He said the oil was poling inside the primary and would only leak when being driven.