Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rocker Cover Gaskets. A must?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 01:36 PM
Swany6mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rocker Cover Gaskets. A must?

Hey all. I'm about to do the rock-out bushing on my '16 Limited. It has just under 2000 miles on it. From images I've seen, looks like the rocker covers use o-ring type gaskets. With this few miles on it, is it a MUST replace, a SHOULD replace, or a DON'T WORRY ABOUT IT deal?

Not that I'm trying to "save" money. I just hate waste. If they are considered good still, I want to use what's there. If they are toast after first use, I'll run to my parts guy and buy a set.

Thanks!

Old 10-17-2015, 02:15 PM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master
Received 137 Likes on 45 Posts

I have never pulled the rocker covers before, but what I always do on the rubber o-ring style gaskets is keep a set on hand when I do a job that involves them. If I need them, I have them. It not, either keep them, or return them. better safe than sorry in my eyes.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:17 PM
db252
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's just a crap shot. Plenty of us have reused gaskets without leakage. Your not going to damage anything but torque correctly at the specified sequence is your best bet. If it doesn't leak, great; if it does you've only created twice the work which really isn't a lot in the case of upper rocker covers. I've used new gaskets that have leaked with all proper sequences followed. Give it a try. Now if it was a head gasket I'd say replace every time.

Old 10-17-2015, 02:30 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

They are not the oring type and sometimes you can reuse them without issue.

But just in case yours are not in good shape:
PN: 17386-99A 5.99 each. You'll need 2.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:27 PM
Swany6mm
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks everyone. Another question, I haven't picked up a service manual yet (not out yet for the '16's?). Does anyone know if the '15 Service manual works? I'm going on a limb and guessing there really isn't any difference in the two (three, if you count 14) model years?

Old 10-17-2015, 03:32 PM
Tired
Grand HDF Member
Received 4,805 Likes on 1,757 Posts

As was said above, not an o-ring. Orange RTV that was cured on the cover flange. You'll understand when you see it. If it's in good shape I have wiped it off with alcohol, skimmed a thin coat of orange RTV on it, reinstalled and not had any leaks. That being said, I do have a set of -99A's on the shelf for the next time.

Old 10-17-2015, 03:47 PM
DTTJGlide
Stellar HDF Member
Received 253 Likes on 154 Posts

I hate waste also, but I'd rather waste a few $ than the time to fix a leak. They're enough of a pain to do once, I'm not going to do it twice for a few $!

Old 10-17-2015, 03:47 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,634 Likes on 1,179 Posts

I have done both... re-used & bought new... never had a leak. There is not that **** storm of oil flying around in there that one might think... more like a dribble kicked around by the rocker arms.

It also depends on whether the gasket sticks to one side or both.... it's a metal gasket so a dent or a bend means it's history.

Please keep us all posted with your results!

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 10-17-2015, 04:04 PM
lt1-xjs
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 65 Posts

The gaskets are less than $20 at BT.

Old 10-17-2015, 04:31 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Do it correct the first time and you won't worry yourself checking for a leak.JMHO"which is usually right"

Quick Reply: Rocker Cover Gaskets. A must?