Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 11:20 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Clutch Slipping

My clutch is slipping, I think, when I geared down from 6 to 5 and not high rpm to pass and got on the throttle it seemed the clutch slipped.

Question, are there better disks, springs or a kit that would be better than going back with stock? Also considering a baker attitude adjuster at the same time.

It's a 14 limited with about 96hp, just looking for some solid advice.

Greg

Old 10-13-2015, 11:23 AM
ohioflhs
Road Warrior

Received 231 Likes on 161 Posts

I used the SE spring. Only about $20 or $30. I also had to go back in the primary with Formula plus. The synthetic I had in there caused some slipping.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:28 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 11 Posts

Adjust it first before buying more stuff

Old 10-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jaxdwg
Adjust it first before buying more stuff
It's a hydraulic clutch operation, I don't think it's adjustable but will research more.

And I do have synthetic oil in the primary, last time I changed oil I drained the formula and use rl primary oil?

Old 10-13-2015, 11:42 AM
gipper
Road Master
Received 86 Likes on 71 Posts

Yes, in answer to all of your questions, OP.

I went with the Barnett clutch spring, and as already mentioned, Formula+ helps if you're currently using syn.

The one caveat to simply going to a heavy duty spring (SE and Barnett are both good), while they're cheap, it will increase your clutch pull tension by a solid 30%. Doesn't bother me now, but I can see it being too tough a few years from now. There is a variable pressure clutch plate that is even easier to add than the spring, but you'll be sniffing close to $300 for that. The upside is that it leaves your clutch easy to pull in.

Good luck in sorting it all out.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:18 PM
IRONHORSE I
Tourer
Received 772 Likes on 190 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
I used the SE spring. Only about $20 or $30. I also had to go back in the primary with Formula plus. The synthetic I had in there caused some slipping.

I had some slipping in mine and did exactly this and it cured my issues. The SE spring is cheap and it worked for me.

Old 10-13-2015, 12:26 PM
Ride my Seesaw
Stellar HDF Member
Received 1,659 Likes on 767 Posts

I had a 107 kit installed last year and didn't realize how bad my clutch was slipping. I was like you, dropping from 6th into 5th and when getting on the throttle the rpm's would ramp up but not much increase in bike speed. I tried adjusting the clutch but didn't see much difference. Finally put an AIM VPC lockup kit in a few weeks ago and pulled the front wheel off the ground on my first roll out. No more clutch slip for me and I'm grinning from ear to ear now!

Old 10-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Ragtop
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,013 Likes on 577 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
It's a hydraulic clutch operation, I don't think it's adjustable but will research more.

And I do have synthetic oil in the primary, last time I changed oil I drained the formula and use rl primary oil?
Hydraulic or not, they still adjust at the basket right?

Old 10-13-2015, 01:09 PM
SafetyMan
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Ragtop
Hydraulic or not, they still adjust at the basket right?
No...

Old 10-13-2015, 03:47 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

I appreciate the input guys, Ok I call my local Harley parts and the heavy duty spring says it's not for thr 14s up. But the parts looked up the spring that in the 14s and it's the same number as 98-13 wtf.

And like SafetyMan stated the clutch is not adjustable.

The HD spring number is 37951-90, they have it in stock, I need to know if this spring will fit the 14s?

Like I said I appreciate the info and may have to use an after market clutch, damn there high$, but would like to try the heavy duty spring first if I can find out if it will work in the 14s?

Quick Reply: Clutch Slipping