Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2015, 12:29 PM
mikeo33y
Road Warrior
Received 114 Likes on 69 Posts

i will be putting in a heavy duty spring over the winter. cheap, the manufacturers sacrifice alittle performance for feel on there clutches on almost every bike brand. whats the first thing you do when you sit on a bike. almost every person pulls in the clutch and front brake lever. its psychological. a easy smooth clutch makes the bike seem so nice sitting on show room floor. nobody likes the feel of a hard clutch lever pull. Your clutch, right off the show room floor is most likely slipping. you just dont realize it until you upgrade your clutch. then you feel like you added 10 more hp. Been doing it for years on all my bikes except this one.

Old 10-18-2015, 03:17 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by ohioflhs
I used the SE spring. Only about $20 or $30. I also had to go back in the primary with Formula plus. The synthetic I had in there caused some slipping.
============

90+ HP on stock - weak HD clutch spring = sooner then later clutch slip.

Yup,the SE hvy dty perf clutch spring should be ok as long as the clutch hasnt been slipping for a long time & overheated clutch plates warping them you could get away with installing a hvy dty SE clutch spring along with a new outer prim gasket & fresh prim oil is all you need buy & you should be good to go.

But if he has the additional $$$ i'd rec he go with the hvy dty SE clutch spring along with a new set of stock clutch plates and stock metal spacer plates along with ensuring clutch is properly adj post install too .

That should hold his motor just fine without having to go for a more expensive aftermarket or complete SE clutch setup that he doesnt need especially he doesnt abuse/hammer the bike constantly.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 10-18-2015 at 03:21 PM.
Old 11-06-2015, 08:13 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaHeatWave
Torque causes slip, not hp...
Most people, especially on here, don't understand the difference!

Old 11-06-2015, 08:25 AM
NDBadlands4-2
Extreme HDF Member
Received 67 Likes on 57 Posts

Don't the Rushmore bikes come with a slipper clutch standard? They are supposed to slip when you down shift at to high a RPM.

Old 11-06-2015, 10:46 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by NDBadlands4-2
Don't the Rushmore bikes come with a slipper clutch standard? They are supposed to slip when you down shift at to high a RPM.
AFAIK it's only the CVOs and the Low models that have the "assist and slip" clutch.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 09-17-2016, 03:35 PM
Cy Sulak
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I changed my primary fluid and now the clutch is slipping.2004 heritage softail classic. Used the fluid HD sold me. Would over filling cause clutch to slip?

Old 12-17-2017, 07:13 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
OK, just making sure. Let me know how it works when you install it, I'm thinking about putting one on my bike.
Ok its been awhile but the spring worked and i mixed up the disks and plates (didn't put hem back the way they came out). I think a couple plates had ridges worn in the middle of the plates, if i would have had new ones I would have replaced them. But I just randomly put everything back together and have no further issues.

Old 12-17-2017, 11:35 PM
DAVENRINO
Road Master
Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
Ok its been awhile but the spring worked and i mixed up the disks and plates (didn't put hem back the way they came out). I think a couple plates had ridges worn in the middle of the plates, if i would have had new ones I would have replaced them. But I just randomly put everything back together and have no further issues.
I am sure everyone appreciates you getting back to us with your results...even if it was over 2 years later.