Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 08:26 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior
Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
OK, just making sure. Let me know how it works when you install it, I'm thinking about putting one on my bike.
Will do, probably install it next week.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:31 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by bdtaylor1979
Since it makes the clutch a little harder to pull, would that put extra strain on the clutch cable? My bike has 98,000 miles and still has the original clutch cable.
Prolly so, some guys report its a lot harder to pull and others say they hardly notice a diferance? But it probably will cause more strain on the cable, the 14s have a hyd operated clutch.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:36 PM
equandt
Road Warrior
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

96 hp isn't enough power to require any additional help. You don't need a new spring, you either need to change your primary fluid (use HD Formula +) or need an adjustment of the clutch or clutch cable.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:41 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by FlaHeatWave
Have all the clutch recalls been done on your bike?? I believe there were more than one???

Something isn't right, there's no way the stock clutch (if operating properly) should slip with your mods.
All recalls were completed but never had problems before or after them. Got a letter today from HD saying the warranty on the clutch would be extended to 4 years and apologies for the recalls.

The only time I realize it slips is when in5th gear and accelerateing pretty hard? The oil may have something to do with it.

Old 10-17-2015, 08:50 PM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by equandt
96 hp isn't enough power to require any additional help. You don't need a new spring, you either need to change your primary fluid (use HD Formula +) or need an adjustment of the clutch or clutch cable.
Going back to formula, there is no adjustment on the hyd clutches. A few guys reported a more distinct clutch engagement, for $40 I want to try it, but it may be just the oil.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:45 PM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Gwaxley
All recalls were completed but never had problems before or after them. Got a letter today from HD saying the warranty on the clutch would be extended to 4 years and apologies for the recalls.

The only time I realize it slips is when in5th gear and accelerateing pretty hard? The oil may have something to do with it.

Since you have the HD letter extending the clutch warranty, I would definitely take to the Dealer with your concerns before you start changing things on your own ~ HD did not extend the clutch warranty out of the goodness of their hearts, they know there are problems with that clutch, even after the recalls... Issuing the letter, HD is just trying to minimize legal exposure...

I like the Formula+ in my bikes (mostly because I feel the compensator likes it), but running Syn3 or whatever else HD is using should not cause slipping, with a properly operating clutch at your power levels...

Again, I'd take the bike / letter (you don't really have to take the letter as the info will be in the computer under your vin) and let the Dealer sort it out... If the Formula+ does indeed cure the slipping,(I'd be surprised) HD will foot the bill...

If it slips in 5th, it slips in 6th...

Old 10-18-2015, 09:48 AM
hog-doc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by FlaHeatWave
Since you have the HD letter extending the clutch warranty, I would definitely take to the Dealer with your concerns before you start changing things on your own ~ HD did not extend the clutch warranty out of the goodness of their hearts, they know there are problems with that clutch, even after the recalls... Issuing the letter, HD is just trying to minimize legal exposure...

I like the Formula+ in my bikes (mostly because I feel the compensator likes it), but running Syn3 or whatever else HD is using should not cause slipping, with a properly operating clutch at your power levels...

Again, I'd take the bike / letter (you don't really have to take the letter as the info will be in the computer under your vin) and let the Dealer sort it out... If the Formula+ does indeed cure the slipping,(I'd be surprised) HD will foot the bill...

If it slips in 5th, it slips in 6th...
NONE of the recalls had anything to do with clutch "slippage" they are all about air entering the system at the master and not having enough travel to fully disengage the clutch. An appropriate spring for your horse power level or a lock up will solve the slipping problem. We've built 150 hp with stock plates and steels with the -98A spring and lock ups with great success.

Old 10-18-2015, 10:04 AM
Gwaxley
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by hog-doc
NONE of the recalls had anything to do with clutch "slippage" they are all about air entering the system at the master and not having enough travel to fully disengage the clutch. An appropriate spring for your horse power level or a lock up will solve the slipping problem. We've built 150 hp with stock plates and steels with the -98A spring and lock ups with great success.
The spring I bought is 37951-98, there's no A in the number? Thanks

Old 10-18-2015, 10:09 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by brad75raiders
If you have 5 bucks to spare put in some Automotive transmission fluid. It grabs much better. My 127 doesn't slip stock clutches and SE added spring 135tq

I've been running Mobil 1 syn ATF in my '15 Limited Low for about 7500 miles now.... zero slipping, no wear that I can find. Full V&H exhaust, Powervision, Andrews 57h cams, K&N..... I don't know the HP but it's quite a bit more than stock.

Worth a try.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
Gwaxley (05-02-2017)
Old 10-18-2015, 10:55 AM
FlaHeatWave
Road Captain
Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by hog-doc

Torque causes slip, not hp...

Quick Reply: Clutch Slipping