Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stainless engine bolts

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2015, 03:53 PM
fattybob
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced all visible engine and chassis bolts on my Fat Bob with polished stainless Alloy Boltz kits years ago. No rust or pitting at all over the years.

When replacing the hex bolts, I chased the bolt holes and used carb cleaner, Q-tips and a can of compressed air to dry them, then used a small amount of anti-seize on each stainless bolt.

I seem to remember that the Alloy Boltz kits came with instructions to reduce the torque specs by some percentage when using anti-seize (sorry I'm not at home and don't have the instructions in front of me).

Old 10-13-2015, 08:14 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Tinman265
Found the site I mentioned earlier

http://www.allensfasteners.com

They sell ARP singles.
Thanks for the tip. Those are more affordable, but I kind of like the idea of an all inclusive kit so that I don't have to research size and length. That site might come in useful for other things too.

Old 10-13-2015, 11:47 PM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,639 Likes on 1,170 Posts

I think replacing the OEM engine fasteners to chrome or polished stainless really gives the engine a finished look and will look sharp on your ride.

One thing to consider is chrome vs. stainless. Some stainless will turn slightly after awhile and can be noticeable if you look closely. I can tell, especially guys that do the chrome lowers and leaving the stainless covers as-is. I went with the chrome on my 1K service, but then I got them pretty much for free with some HD rewards. I'm happy with mine. When I was considering the replacements between AllenBoltz and Diamond Engineering, my dealer recommended Diamond for quality.

Old 10-14-2015, 08:40 AM
lionsm13
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 75,797 Likes on 22,740 Posts

Good info.

Old 10-14-2015, 01:18 PM
Lowcountry Joe
Elite HDF Member
Received 66 Likes on 46 Posts

They make some nice polished SS bolt kits. Before I found out about them, I had already replaced the engine bolts with the Harley chromed sets, but later on I did go with AlloyBoltz on the brake calipers. Made a nice difference in appearance for sure. That's been a couple of years ago now and they still look new. Also use stainless Speed Bleeders. All of it works together for a nice clean look.

Front caliper before bolt change:

Front caliper with new AlloyBoltz kit:

Old 10-14-2015, 01:29 PM
CanonSterVA
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

That really makes the calipers look great.
Very nice.

Old 10-14-2015, 02:38 PM
jefla
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
... I kind of like the idea of an all inclusive kit so that I don't have to research size and length ..
Yes sizing is a tough -- until you find the trick. Harley's OEM parts finders, such as is available here http://www.granitestateharleystore.c...80030/02380133, provide exact details of all the fasteners on the bike. I get the info from there.

Old 10-14-2015, 03:11 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 54 Likes on 51 Posts

LC Joe,
Do those bolts have the same shoulder as the HD ones? That's always been an issue finding a polished bolt with shoulders. I tried the Gardner westcot and the caliper started moving back and forth because the bolt was threaded all the way to the head.

As far as chrome bolts go they look good until they rust, and so does the threads, especially the torx or allens, because the plating process in the holes is not as good as the exterior side. Did that on my old Fatboy, and said never again.

Old 10-14-2015, 04:10 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Lowcountry Joe
They make some nice polished SS bolt kits. Before I found out about them, I had already replaced the engine bolts with the Harley chromed sets, but later on I did go with AlloyBoltz on the brake calipers. Made a nice difference in appearance for sure. That's been a couple of years ago now and they still look new. Also use stainless Speed Bleeders. All of it works together for a nice clean look.

Front caliper before bolt change:

Front caliper with new AlloyBoltz kit:

Has your chrome bolts shown signs of rust?

Old 10-15-2015, 01:26 AM
DanDman
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lowcountry Joe, where did you get the SS bleeders?

Last edited by DanDman; 10-15-2015 at 09:56 AM.

Quick Reply: Stainless engine bolts