Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick GONE!!! ROCKOUT Rocker Shaft Inserts!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2015, 09:37 PM
wifesdriver
Stage I
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had been fighting a loud top end on my 2000 Roadking for years. Tried A lifters, C lifters, Chevy lifters, adjusted pushrod length many times, shimmed the end play on the shafts and tried 20w60 and straight 50 dyno all only producing marginal improvements at best. Installed Rockouts last week and finally the problem is solved. Thanks

I did crush the top a few millimeters on one of the sleeves while drawing it down while turning the bolt, so my advice is to hold the bolt and turn the nut, the other 3 went in fine this way.

The following users liked this post:
rottnutz (03-04-2016)
Old 12-18-2015, 09:48 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by wifesdriver
I had been fighting a loud top end on my 2000 Roadking for years. Tried A lifters, C lifters, Chevy lifters, adjusted pushrod length many times, shimmed the end play on the shafts and tried 20w60 and straight 50 dyno all only producing marginal improvements at best. Installed Rockouts last week and finally the problem is solved. Thanks

I did crush the top a few millimeters on one of the sleeves while drawing it down while turning the bolt, so my advice is to hold the bolt and turn the nut, the other 3 went in fine this way.
More great news, thanks for taking the time to post your experience. I know just how you felt when you started the bike & the tapping was gone!

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 12-19-2015, 12:23 PM
RadarFLHRC
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a set of these. I have a 07 FLHRC (35,000 on the clock) and the ticking has been driving me nuts. Had it in the shop and the mechanic told me he didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

One question I have, is there anything else I would want to look at replacing while I am in there? I plan on buying the breather assemblies and of course new gaskets. I read one post which mentioned replacing the bolts and I assume they are referring to the 4 bolts for the rocker arm support.

Is there anything else I should look at?

Last edited by RadarFLHRC; 12-19-2015 at 12:32 PM.
Old 12-19-2015, 12:35 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by RadarFLHRC
I just ordered a set of these. I have a 07 FLHRC (35,000 on the clock) and the ticking has been driving me nuts. Had it in the shop and the mechanic told me he didn't hear anything out of the ordinary.

One question I have, is there anything else I would want to look at replacing while I am in there? I plan on buying the breather assemblies and of course new gaskets. I read one post which mentioned replacing the bolts and I assume they are referring to the 4 bolts for the rocker arm support.

Is there anything else I should look at?
You can replace the bolts if you like, they're only about a dollar each & already have the loctite on them. Best advice I can give for the other components is just look at them. If they look scored, gouged, etc. now's the time to replace them.... they're actually pretty cheap. I think the shafts for example are about $13. You can get them and the rockers etc. even cheaper from places like J&P.
Anything past visual inspection is going to require measuring equipment most folks don't have.

It's actually pretty rare to find anything really damaged, unless your engine has LOTS of miles on it, and even then. If you read through all the threads on the forums here everyone just installs the inserts.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:50 PM
Longridertx
Road Master
Received 121 Likes on 99 Posts

I had been telling the tech I use at the dealer about the Rockouts. So when I had my bike in there for some work I had him install the Rockouts. The ticking is gone and when the service manager walked by my bike as it was running he stopped and said my bike was the most quiet he had ever heard. Had the tech order some for his bike. In fact I think he said he ordered a set of 10. I have to agree. None of my previous Harleys were this quiet. FWIW I'm running Woods TW 777 cams and the valve train sounds like a well oiled sewing machine.

Old 12-19-2015, 01:55 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Longridertx
I had been telling the tech I use at the dealer about the Rockouts. So when I had my bike in there for some work I had him install the Rockouts. The ticking is gone and when the service manager walked by my bike as it was running he stopped and said my bike was the most quiet he had ever heard. Had the tech order some for his bike. In fact I think he said he ordered a set of 10. I have to agree. None of my previous Harleys were this quiet. FWIW I'm running Woods TW 777 cams and the valve train sounds like a well oiled sewing machine.
Is that Caliente HD?

Old 12-19-2015, 02:39 PM
Longridertx
Road Master

Yes Caliente Harley.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:20 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Longridertx
Yes Caliente Harley.
Yep, they're the newest Rockout dealer.

Thanks for your help spreading the word!

Old 12-19-2015, 03:33 PM
seniorsuperglideE8
Supporter
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,801 Likes on 2,540 Posts

What has the typical charge for a dealer to do this work. Another overpaid engineer slacker at the plant in Wisconsin.

Old 12-19-2015, 03:52 PM
Longridertx
Road Master

I have no idea of what a dealer would charge but I would guess a couple of hours shop time plus supplies. Since I had my bike in for some service work and they already had the top open I had them install the Rockouts.

Quick Reply: Tick GONE!!! ROCKOUT Rocker Shaft Inserts!!!!!!