Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick GONE!!! ROCKOUT Rocker Shaft Inserts!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2016, 07:59 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Rat Trap
I bought'em last year and I finally got around to installing them a few weeks ago.

I also put in new S&S standard lifters. When I pulled out the stock lifters they were showing some strange uneven wear on the roller. The cam lobes looked pretty good tho.

The loud "tick" I always heard at 2200-2800 rpm is totally gone!

Now I can actually hear the valves closing. Only at idle and its very quiet but its still a "tick" but what can ya do?

Edited to add I'm just over 20k miles.

Thanks man, I always appreciate the feedback, it helps get folks off the fence

Enjoy your tap free ride

John @ Rockout

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

The following users liked this post:
nylimited (08-10-2016)
Old 05-28-2016, 08:12 AM
tommytutone
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ditto

Had the ticking (I call it a clattering) between 2300 and 2800 rpm that drove me nuts.

I took an advanced riding course last August (98 degrees, 90% humidity and slow speed maneuvers don't mix), the clattering was so bad the instructor suggested I stop the course. Yes it was worse with heat.

All my Harley buddies said it was 'Harley noise', multiple dealers 'couldn't hear it', and my mechanic told me 'thats just the way it is'.

S&S adjustable lifters, helped SLIGHTLY (may have just reduced the valve backlash).

I wish I'd know what this clattering noise was and how to fix it a year ago.

I installed Rockouts myself a week ago. The tick is gone, I can't believe how quite the bike is. Now I hear the 'sewing machine' sound of the front exhaust valve and the low rumble of the exhaust.

best $15 and 4 hours I've ever spent on my bike (Its a 1 1/2 hour job if your experienced with taking the tank and rocker covers off).

clattering before Rockouts:

after installation:

Last edited by tommytutone; 05-28-2016 at 11:05 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:17 AM
tommytutone
2nd Gear

the shaft movement.

BTW bike has 12000 miles on it.

Tolerance this wide should have never gotten out of the factory. I'd call this the Grand Canyon.

Last edited by tommytutone; 05-28-2016 at 08:38 AM.
Old 05-28-2016, 08:22 AM
tommytutone
2nd Gear

shaft movement after installation

Old 05-28-2016, 09:17 AM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I bought these a awhile ago, and while my bike is in the shop for valve train noise from a recent build, for some reason he is very relunctant to install the rockouts, says the shaft should't move because the bolts actually holding down the rocker plates would tighten it from the bolt pressure , has anyone tried to see of the shaft moves when the rocker plate is installed and torqued down, i might have to install these myself. BTW motor has 95bb Redshift 527 cams , S&S lifter and S&S pushrods, 300km after the build i could no longer take the valve train noise and loud ticking when hot so i returned to him and mentioned the rockouts

Old 05-28-2016, 09:24 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by tommytutone
Ditto

Had the ticking between 2300 and 2800 rpm that drove me nuts. All my Harley buddies said it was 'Harley noise', multiple dealers 'couldn't hear it', and my mechanic told me 'thats just the way it is'.

S&S adjustable lifters, helped SLIGHTLY (may have just reduced the valve backlash).

I wish I'd know what this clattering noise was and how to fix it a year ago.

I installed Rockouts myself a week ago. The tick is gone, I can't believe how quite the bike is. Now I hear the 'sewing machine' sound of the front exhaust valve and the low rumble of the exhaust.

best $15 and 4 hours I've ever spent on my bike (Its a 1 1/2 hour job if your experienced with taking the tank and rocker covers off).

Man, that's AWESOME! Thank you so much for taking the time to make the videos. Nothing like video/audio to prove something works.

With your permission I'd like to put those on my website, along with some others users have done.

Thanks again for your support, and your helping to spread the word

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Old 05-28-2016, 09:26 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Robtarra39
I bought these a awhile ago, and while my bike is in the shop for valve train noise from a recent build, for some reason he is very relunctant to install the rockouts, says the shaft should't move because the bolts actually holding down the rocker plates would tighten it from the bolt pressure , has anyone tried to see of the shaft moves when the rocker plate is installed and torqued down, i might have to install these myself. BTW motor has 95bb Redshift 527 cams , S&S lifter and S&S pushrods, 300km after the build i could no longer take the valve train noise and loud ticking when hot so i returned to him and mentioned the rockouts

You might ask him how the rocker shaft shaped dents end up on the grade 8 hardened bolts

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Old 05-28-2016, 09:34 AM
tommytutone
2nd Gear

you would have to remove the push rods and valves/springs to do that. Basically you would have to pull the head.

Your mechanic is theoretically correct............the bolt should hold the rocker rod in place. The fact is they don't.

When these half moons are machined, half a millimeter too deep can make huge noise. I don't know what the manufacturing tolerance is for this part, but I'd bet its a unilateral tolerance: probably +0 -0.5 mm (I spent 10 years in automotive).

My mechanic didn't believe this could be the problem until I took the bike by his shop the other day and showed him these videos. He couldn't believe how quite it was. Then he started listing the other customers he could fix their noise with this.

The inserts wont hurt the bike. However, If you ever change the rocker shafts you'll have to press or drill them out.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:40 AM
perki48
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,406 Likes on 2,029 Posts

(quote tommytutone)

"The inserts wont hurt the bike. However, If you ever change the rocker shafts you'll have to press or drill them out."

I messed up and found out what the "extra" insert was for when I installed one with the shaft in backwards. All It took for removal was a punch and hammer. Very simple removal.

Old 05-28-2016, 09:44 AM
tommytutone
2nd Gear

@John.

Since you helped fix my problem, yes you can use these videos on your website.

Quick Reply: Tick GONE!!! ROCKOUT Rocker Shaft Inserts!!!!!!