Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Tick GONE!!! ROCKOUT Rocker Shaft Inserts!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2016, 10:52 AM
Flying Horse
Road Warrior
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Go to my website (in my sig) and you'll see a pretty good explanation & a video of the problem. In short, the rocker support bolts engage a notch in the end of the rocker shafts to keep them from sliding out. The hole/notch is too big, allowing the shaft to rock back & forth & slide in & out... smacking against the bolts... making the noise. The Rockouts fill that gap, preventing the movement... noise gone.
Will there be are issues with oil flow or close tolerance wear? (haven't looked at your site yet, will do next).
Thanks

Old 01-10-2016, 10:56 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Flying Horse
Will there be are issues with oil flow or close tolerance wear? (haven't looked at your site yet, will do next).
Thanks
If anything the Rockouts actually prevent wear. The shafts were never intended to move.... they ride in soft aluminum in the rocker supports with no lubrication. The rocker arms themselves have bushings inside, and are lubed with oil fed through the pushrod tubes into the internal cavity... that is unchanged.

Good questions

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 01-10-2016, 12:48 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sorry they didn't work out for you VBX. There as a few different sources of valvetrain noise on these engines, yours must be coming from somewhere else. Did you happen to notice of you had the wear marks on your bolts when you had it apart? Curious also as to your setup.... cams... adjustable pushrods, etc. or stock?

Thanks for taking time to give your feedback, every bit of information helps going forward.

John @ Rockout.
These noises may not necessarily come from the lifters/valvetrain. The noise you may be hearing is what is known as light load rattle. You are running some big pistons in that 107. In order to make your twin cam bigger, the bore was increased. Because the stroke remains the same, the piston skirt length could not be increased as the bore expanded. In these long stroke engines, the piston will rock more in the bore and tend to make more noise. The light load rattle will happen right in the rpm range indicated. You can verify that by running your engine at the RPM where the noise comes in. Vary the throttle position to change the load on the engine. If it is a light load rattle, you will notice the noise all but disappear until the engine falls back into a light load cruise at another speed. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this and it is one of the things we put up with when we amp up the cubic inches.

If it's really a bother, turning up the tunes, louder exhaust or ear plugs are the only fixes.

Old 01-11-2016, 09:19 PM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Installed my ROCKOUT's today along with some other stuff I'm working on. Will post on how it sounds maybe tomorrow if I get it all back together. Install was easy. Here's a pic of one of the bolts, The wear on it is pretty deep.They were all worn like that, More on the bottom half. I wonder if that's common?

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 01-11-2016 at 09:24 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 09:47 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Glad the installation went well for you

Looking forward to hearing your results. Thanks for the pic... that bolt looks like it's seen some tapping!

John @ Rockout.

Old 01-12-2016, 07:36 AM
vbx07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by the warden
These noises may not necessarily come from the lifters/valvetrain. The noise you may be hearing is what is known as light load rattle. You are running some big pistons in that 107. In order to make your twin cam bigger, the bore was increased. Because the stroke remains the same, the piston skirt length could not be increased as the bore expanded. In these long stroke engines, the piston will rock more in the bore and tend to make more noise. The light load rattle will happen right in the rpm range indicated. You can verify that by running your engine at the RPM where the noise comes in. Vary the throttle position to change the load on the engine. If it is a light load rattle, you will notice the noise all but disappear until the engine falls back into a light load cruise at another speed. Unfortunately, there is no cure for this and it is one of the things we put up with when we amp up the cubic inches.

If it's really a bother, turning up the tunes, louder exhaust or ear plugs are the only fixes.
The machinist that fitted the Pistons made them very tight, and with only 1400 miles since the build I doubt it's the piston rocking. I have RF 300x2 set up with biketronics 7.1 speakers so yes, I can easily drown out the noise, along with true duals.
Bike runs very strong. All I'm saying is that the rockouts weren't the answer to my particular noise. I was hoping with all new parts installed it would have, but no such luck. It's not crazy loud I'm just nit picking.

Last edited by vbx07; 01-12-2016 at 07:41 AM.
Old 01-12-2016, 08:29 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 283 Likes on 188 Posts

Originally Posted by the warden
These noises may not necessarily come from the lifters/valvetrain. The noise you may be hearing is what is known as light load rattle.
Mmmm, I don't know. I'm assuming the tick being discussed here is the same top end noise I had on my 02 RKC.

Beary

Old 01-12-2016, 02:41 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by beary
Mmmm, I don't know. I'm assuming the tick being discussed here is the same top end noise I had on my 02 RKC.

Beary
It is really hard to tell the difference between valve train ticking and the "light load rattle", which will sound like its coming from the top end. The only difference is that light load rattle will usually only occur at certain RPMs when there is little or no load on the engine. This is not an unusual phenomenon for combustion engines, they all do it. However, our air cooled engines do not have all those water jackets surrounding the cylinders like water cooled engines do to absorb the noise, so we get to listen to all that metal banging on metal.

Again, a good test to see if that is the source of your "ticking", is when most, if not all, of the noise disappears when the engine is throttled up to put a bit of a load on it. My 103 is a regular rattle can when lightly cruising at 2300-2500 RMP. Roll on the throttle a bit and its gone, until the engine load becomes light again.

I chased this ticking noise for years thinking it was valvetrain, to no avail. The upside is I now have the best valve train parts money can buy, including Rockouts.

Old 01-12-2016, 02:50 PM
Bubba Zanetti
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 14,320 Likes on 6,129 Posts

Is this something I can do myself? What is involved? I do my own maintenance and other simple things to my bike but I have never tore in to the motor and I am no master mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.

Old 01-12-2016, 03:38 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by boe1971200
Is this something I can do myself? What is involved? I do my own maintenance and other simple things to my bike but I have never tore in to the motor and I am no master mechanic by any stretch of the imagination.
It's pretty simple to do.... complete instructions are on my website. There's also myself & a lot of good folks here to help that have been through it.

In the end, it's your bike, & you know it (& yourself) better than we do.

Quick Reply: Tick GONE!!! ROCKOUT Rocker Shaft Inserts!!!!!!