Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cruise control ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007 | 10:50 PM
hoosierdaddy
|
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cruise control ?

Can anyone tell me if installing a cruise control on an 07 EG is pretty much plug and play ?

Old 05-04-2007 | 11:33 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
Default RE: cruise control ?

Piece of cake. Do a search; there are several recent threads exactly on this DIY. Also, buy the HD service manual and you will know how to take the right handlebar switch housings, fairiing cap, etc. off and put it back together correctly.

Old 05-04-2007 | 11:54 PM
hoosierdaddy
|
Cruiser

Thanks for the info and I've already bought the manual . Nice to know it pays for itself .

Old 05-05-2007 | 01:27 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

A couple of suggestions. When you buy the cruise control kit, also purchase 2 or 3 part no.11193 c-clips. These are small; the kit comes with one; and it is easily lost; it secures the cruise control cable to the throttle and if you lose the one in the kit your installation will stop until you get another--besides, who wants to spend five minutes or more looking for a $.25 spring clip. Also, since the throttle and idle cables will be removed from the right hand grip, buy a couple of extra brass ferules that secure the cables to the grip--these, too, are easily lost.

Old 05-05-2007 | 07:03 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

I second Harleypingman on buying the spare parts. On the c-clip, use a pair of very long needle-nose pliars for the job, which makes it easy. The ferrules have a knack for doing a disappearing act. I lost one, looked for 30 min., bought another at the HD shop (wasting 30 min.), then found the lost one 10 sec. after gettting back. Figures.

I didn't find this job a piece of cake at all. Had the instructions been better it would've helped, and it took me 30 more min. of searching to find the pin assignments for the switch. The CC section of the manual tells you where each pin goes, but not where they're located on the harness, and the harness connector isn't marked. That info was in the electrical section. And, although I've removed switch housings many times in the past, this one didn't want to fit back on, which took yet another 30 min. of futzing around. Otherwise, the job is a matter of just doing it. Oh, and be acquainted with the correct method of inserting the switch pins into the harness connector. This procedure is in the electrical section, too, and I wouldn't recommend pushing them in with brute force like I did. Mine works fine, but that's not the right way to install them.

After the ordeal, you'll have what is perhaps HD's best accessory.

Old 05-05-2007 | 07:08 PM
voodoodrug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 95 Likes on 82 Posts

yes, a great diy. spare parts imo are agood idea ,but why not make life an adventurejust take it real slow and maybe a glass of wine.

Old 05-05-2007 | 09:39 PM
hoosierdaddy
|
Cruiser

Fortunately I made mistake a few weeks ago and picked the wrong box at Harbor Freight so I have an abundance of those clips . Thanks for the tips