Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2016, 11:19 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by 06copbike
Just finished up and no more noise! (Thanks Rock out! )Since I already had the bike apart I also did the Baisley spring in the oil pump. I had SE 255 cams installed and one thing for certain the mechanic just rushed doing the job,used some new, and some old gaskets and bolt torque was all over the place. Happy now though! going to shower and go for a ride.
Be safe
Robert
Thanks Robert! Great way to start off the riding season.

John @ Rockout

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 05-09-2016, 06:25 PM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Got a set of these on order from Amazon.

2012 Limited with about 34K miles.

While I'm in there, I plan on replacing the following.

Gaskets (2) #17386-99A

Breather Assy (2) #26500002

Screws (8) #1039

Bushings (8) #17429-91

The O-rings are already included with your kit.

Anything else I'm forgetting?

Thanks

Old 05-09-2016, 08:23 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Couple things....

The parts diagrams show two different numbers for the breather assemblies on that bike...you may want #17025-03A as it includes the required screws. (I don't know if you have the old style cast breathers or the new stamped units).

As for the bushings, I'm pretty sure they have to be reamed after installation. At least on my '15 Limited Low, there's a procedure for it in the service manual.

Thanks for your purchase, & please let us know how the Rockouts work out for you.

John @ Rockout

Old 05-10-2016, 08:14 AM
Talldog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Couple things....

The parts diagrams show two different numbers for the breather assemblies on that bike...you may want #17025-03A as it includes the required screws. (I don't know if you have the old style cast breathers or the new stamped units).

As for the bushings, I'm pretty sure they have to be reamed after installation. At least on my '15 Limited Low, there's a procedure for it in the service manual.

Thanks for your purchase, & please let us know how the Rockouts work out for you.

John @ Rockout

Thanks John, appreciate the help!

Will take your advice and go with 17025-03A, and I didn't realize the bushings had to be reamed. I'll measure the bushings to be sure, but with only 34K on the bike, I'm probably ok for now.

One more question, I know there is a special wrench that's supposed to make it easier to remove the Rocker Cover bolts. Is it really needed, or not that hard using standard tools?

Old 05-10-2016, 11:11 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Talldog

One more question, I know there is a special wrench that's supposed to make it easier to remove the Rocker Cover bolts. Is it really needed, or not that hard using standard tools?
Nothing special is needed to remove any bolts. You will probably find you can't get a torque wrench on the primary side bolts for tightening, at least on a bagger. There are adaptors called "torque adapters", or "dogbone adapters" to get in there. You can find them on Amazon & other places. Make sure if you use an adapter you use it at a right angle to the torque wrench __| not __ _.

John @ Rockout

Old 05-12-2016, 09:38 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Well just used my first set. Well done!! They did quiet the ole 103 down a lot. ( I run quiet mufflers on my road trip bike)While I will never agree with the recommended way of torquing the rocker bolts . The little bas tards work well. I cheated and actual snuck them in with out pulling the rocker shaft supports. One bolt at a time with cam on base circle. Little edgy getting shafts lined up with a cut brass drift.But if your not a flat rate mechanic probably not a great idea to try.
They will be in my customer bikes if I have them apart.
Again good job doing the homework .
Just and added tip.... Just take the flat washer John Sends with them ... Try to slide bushings in the washer....one end will go....other wont. Mark end with a sharpy that will go in washer presto that end goes in first as it's the smaller end of taper

Last edited by Bumpandrun; 05-12-2016 at 09:49 PM.
Old 05-12-2016, 09:49 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Thanks man, I appreciate you giving them a try.

Welcome to the tap free club... new members joining daily

John @ Rockout

Old 05-12-2016, 09:53 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Bumpandrun
Just and added tip.... Just take the flat washer John Sends with them ... Try to slide bushings in the washer....one end will go....other wont. Mark end with a sharpy that will go in washer presto that end goes in first as it's the smaller end of taper
That's an awesome tip! I just tried it & you're right. Turns out I've been including a go/no go gage in every kit

Thanks again,

John

Old 05-12-2016, 09:57 PM
Bumpandrun
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 416 Likes on 297 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
That's an awesome tip! I just tried it & you're right. Turns out I've been including a go/no go gage in every kit

Thanks again,

John

__________________________________________________ __
Yes u do......now don't get any ideas about charging another 12 cents for it!!! Lmao

Old 05-12-2016, 10:41 PM
Robtarra39
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 44 Posts

I had installed a new big bore kit 95inch with Redshift 527 cams, and the SE hyd kit with oil pump, then installed S&S lifters and S&S adj pushrods, well my motor still makes that tick/tap and is coming from the heads somewhere and is present at idle and up to 3000rpm above 3000 i dont really hear anything but that could be due to eaxhaust being louder, after all this work my indy says he is surprised it still has loud valve train noise, so i ride it to break it in and still the tick/tap is still there, he takes it out for a ride and says it purrs like a kitten but the ticking or tapping sound is almost embarrassing, i mentioned to him these rockouts and says he never heard of them, Well i would like to try these but my mechanical skills are limited, is it really possible to install as Bumpandrun did doing the 1 bolt at a time and insert, any down side to this? I would like to do this and prove my indy wrong and who knows maybe he will be convinced and install them in his shop, in my area we have only one HD dealer (not my choice for engine work) and one Indy who is very busy.Can these be bought in Canada?

Last edited by Robtarra39; 05-12-2016 at 10:44 PM.

Quick Reply: A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...