Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2016, 02:50 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by adkg12
I installed my Rockout kit this past weekend, and although it should have fit in easily, I had to "open" the top of the rocker support bolt hole a tiny bit. It was like it had "closed" up some from torquing the bolts from prior service. I was eventually able to get them installed (on the bench) all the same. The engine is noticeably quieter, especially at an idle. There is still some of that noise at the 2500-3000 rpm range, but it is also noticeably quieter. I had an annoying "tick" at idle at nearly any temperature, and so far that is gone. My front exhaust shaft was very loose and I think it was clicking back and forth as there were witness marks on the bolt. I guess time will tell as to how effective this mod/upgrade was. I intend to rebuild this engine before this time next year, possibly to 120ci and I will be installing these again on that rebuilt engine.. ! Thanks for your work. Glen
Are you certain you weren't putting the inserts in backwards. They are tapered and will only go in one way.

Old 04-25-2016, 02:54 PM
adkg12
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Are you certain you weren't putting the inserts in backwards. They are tapered and will only go in one way.
Yep...the taper is very easy to see, but in any event, I did try them both ways. Once I opened the hole (just the entry point) up a tiny bit, I was able to install them just fine. For testing purposes, I tried them both ways. Going in one way only allowed it to go in a tiny amount.. the other allowed it to go almost 60% in by hand. But as I said, you can clearly see the taper...but that was a good question..I rode into work this morning.. beautiful day here in central Ohio!!
Glen

Old 04-25-2016, 03:09 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by adkg12
Yep...the taper is very easy to see, but in any event, I did try them both ways. Once I opened the hole (just the entry point) up a tiny bit, I was able to install them just fine. For testing purposes, I tried them both ways. Going in one way only allowed it to go in a tiny amount.. the other allowed it to go almost 60% in by hand. But as I said, you can clearly see the taper...but that was a good question..I rode into work this morning.. beautiful day here in central Ohio!! Glen
Good deal. They made a pretty significant difference on mine. As soon as I can get it tuned and take care of some pinging it should be quiet as a mouse.

Old 04-25-2016, 03:11 PM
adkg12
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Good deal. They made a pretty significant difference on mine. As soon as I can get it tuned and take care of some pinging it should be quiet as a mouse.
Nice.. ! I also installed a set up underbike LED lights...Looking forward to Bike Night this week LOL....
Thanks
Glen

Old 04-25-2016, 03:39 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Thanks again guys, I'm glad to hear all the success stories!

I really appreciate the support.

John @ Rockout.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 04-25-2016, 04:08 PM
JCBGlide
Tourer
Received 44 Likes on 26 Posts

I have used the following trick many times.... grab some q-tips & stick it in the hole to absorb the oil. It may take 1-2 or more to get all the oil out... but it works.

Or, a thin piece of t-shirt wrapped around a skinny screwdriver, twisted up piece of paper towel... but don't use toilet paper because it dissolves in the oil & leave debris in the hole.

Anyway... JMO

The following users liked this post:
ROCKOUT Rocker Products (04-25-2016)
Old 04-25-2016, 08:16 PM
Dharn55
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We were installing a set of rockouts on our 2001 RK yesterday. The first one caught on the shaft, mushroomed a bit at the top and deformed in the bore. The second one went in fine. We did managed to get the first one out and replaced it so one side was done. However we only received four of the inserts, not five like shown in the pictures so we could not finish the rear arms/shafts. We ordered another set from Amazon. Hoping this one comes with five inserts so we can use the extra on the RK and use the other four on another bike. Haven't got the rear done so we haven't been able start it up and see if it is quieter.

Quality control Rockout! Every package should come with the extra insert as shown in the pictures in case a mistake is made. New set should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.

Old 04-25-2016, 08:26 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

Originally Posted by Dharn55
We were installing a set of rockouts on our 2001 RK yesterday. The first one caught on the shaft, mushroomed a bit at the top and deformed in the bore. The second one went in fine. We did managed to get the first one out and replaced it so one side was done. However we only received four of the inserts, not five like shown in the pictures so we could not finish the rear arms/shafts. We ordered another set from Amazon. Hoping this one comes with five inserts so we can use the extra on the RK and use the other four on another bike. Haven't got the rear done so we haven't been able start it up and see if it is quieter.

Quality control Rockout! Every package should come with the extra insert as shown in the pictures in case a mistake is made. New set should be here tomorrow or Wednesday.
Thank you very much for purchasing my Rockout kit, I'm sorry you experienced some issues with installation. May I ask when you purchased your original kit? The kits did not always come with the extra insert, that was added recently. Previous sales were advertised with, and included 4 inserts.
My policy is and always has been... if you have problems for any reason just let me know & I'll have a replacement kit off to you right away. Please PM me your full name & shipping address and I'll make sure it gets done. If you prefer just let me know the order details of your most recent order & I'll refund the full purchase price.

Once again I apologize for the issues, just let me know how to make it right.

John @ Rockout.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Old 04-25-2016, 08:33 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor

I found your Amazon order, and issued a full refund. I'll also have a replacement kit off to you tomorrow Priority Mail for your troubles.

Thanks again,

John @ Rockout.

__________________________________________________ ____
For ROCKOUT information & purchasing please click the LINKS below...

Last edited by ROCKOUT Rocker Products; 04-25-2016 at 08:46 PM.
Old 05-07-2016, 07:35 PM
06copbike
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bought the rock out kit off e bay for my 2013 Road King 103, got all the gaskets from Cometic and the push rod tube o rings from the dealer, went to put everything back together and noticed the service manual I bought is not complete (bought at swap meet) could anyone help me with the torque specs for the rocker arm assembly bolts,breather bolts, and top rocker box bolts. By the way lesson learned on buying unsealed books !
Thanks
Robert

Quick Reply: A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...