Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2016, 11:48 PM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

installed today. very happy with the result, as advertised. Your product works.

must confess I did the front your way. The back I stared at for a while trying different tools and could not figure out how I was going to torque it back on. I decided if I do not have tools that will work on reinstall then I will opt for taking out one bolt at a time, put the insert in and crank it down. it worked.
yes I got the oil out. Thanks for that tip I may have overlooked doing that.

Old 01-24-2016, 12:02 AM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by 1Canuck

must confess I did the front your way. The back I stared at for a while trying different tools and could not figure out how I was going to torque it back on. I decided if I do not have tools that will work on reinstall then I will opt for taking out one bolt at a time, put the insert in and crank it down. it worked.
yes I got the oil out. Thanks for that tip I may have overlooked doing that.

That's awesome brother... thank you very much for your order, and your feedback! Always puts a smile on my face when folks lose that awful noise!

Please spread the word

John @ Rockout.

ROCKOUTS! Copied, but never equaled.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 02-25-2016, 05:46 AM
jg4660
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=1Canuck;14771613]

yes I got the oil out. Thanks for that tip I may have overlooked doing that.[/

I just ordered these as well and was thinking the same thing for the rear cylinder. When you take just the one bolt out leaving the others tight can you turn the shaft to line up the notch?

JG

Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 AM
Smokey Stover
Road Warrior
Received 55 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by jg4660

I just ordered these as well and was thinking the same thing for the rear cylinder. When you take just the one bolt out leaving the others tight can you turn the shaft to line up the notch?

JG
I would still recomend getting the HD gasket and Breather Kit while you have the tops off.
Because 1) the gaskets don't always survive if they have been on a long time.
2) That breather filter gets brittle and crumbly as well as it's gasket.The rubber Umbrella gets hard too.
3) The Manual says to loosen all 4 bolts a little bit at a time in sequence, As well as torquing them back down a little at a time in sequence. I did not want to take a chance of warping the heads or plates.Theres still a little pressure on the rockers even at base circle.
I'm just extra careful just in case.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:21 AM
1Canuck
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2,252 Likes on 1,439 Posts

[QUOTE=jg4660;14878744]
Originally Posted by 1Canuck

JG
Yes the shaft will turn/move, at least it was easy to line up. not sure if I saw it here but you can use a drill bit shaft end that is the same size as the hole to be sure before tapping in the lockers. the shaft turns freely when it is all bolted together, thus the reason for the tapping against the bolt.

smokey stover, as for worrying about the warping I think that is a stretch as the only pressure left is from lifters preload. taking out one bolt at a time the plate did not move. as for gaskets and umbrella, well change those if you want to. Me, if it is not broke don't fix it. if it leaks well I will just have to take it apart and replace the gasket then.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:36 PM
jg4660
Cruiser

I'm going to give the one bolt method a try on the rear....Thanks for the feedback. If these work i'm going to be even more pissed at the Moco for having to endure this on a $20K bike for so long with it being so simple of a solution.

JG

Last edited by jg4660; 02-25-2016 at 12:47 PM.
Old 02-25-2016, 03:19 PM
the warden
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guys, just get the dog bone wrenches so you can properly torque the bolts on the back cylinder and be done with it. Then you will always have them in the event you need to take your rocker support plates off in the future.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:45 PM
roussfam
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,215 Likes on 3,750 Posts

Didn't have any noise from my 07 FLHT, but I figured for $15 what the heck. It's winter and it would give me an excuse to drill out my oil return passages.

What I noticed was that my rocker shafts were not very loose in their bore. I could give them a light tap with a soft face hammer and they would move, but they were not loose enough to rotate with my fingers.

Drilled out the oil return passages, and installed a new breather/gasket kit. Did the rear cyl first, as it's a real Pita, access wise (on a touring anyway) . Then the front went superfast. Pretty neat product, and detailed instructions.

I remember, 3 harleys ago I installed a set of cams and I guess I didn't have one of the pushrods sitting properly in it's pocket when I was done with the rear rocker arm support plate. When I went to rotate the tire by hand (up on stands) to get the front cyl at TDC...I felt/heard the rear piston touch the valve.

Now I always pay particular attention and gently rotate the rear tire a few turns when ever I have reinstalled a rocker support plate.

Anyways, two thumbs up for Rockouts

Still looking at close to 8 weeks before the snow is all gone, and the salt and sand has been washed away.

Jim

Last edited by roussfam; 02-25-2016 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-26-2016, 12:27 PM
jg4660
Cruiser

Originally Posted by roussfam

I remember, 3 harleys ago I installed a set of cams and I guess I didn't have one of the pushrods sitting properly in it's pocket when I was done with the rear rocker arm support plate. When I went to rotate the tire by hand (up on stands) to get the front cyl at TDC...I felt/heard the rear piston touch the valve.

Good tip...I'll watch for that...

Old 04-25-2016, 02:47 PM
adkg12
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I installed my Rockout kit this past weekend, and although it should have fit in easily, I had to "open" the top of the rocker support bolt hole a tiny bit. It was like it had "closed" up some from torquing the bolts from prior service. I was eventually able to get them installed (on the bench) all the same. The engine is noticeably quieter, especially at an idle. There is still some of that noise at the 2500-3000 rpm range, but it is also noticeably quieter. I had an annoying "tick" at idle at nearly any temperature, and so far that is gone. My front exhaust shaft was very loose and I think it was clicking back and forth as there were witness marks on the bolt. I guess time will tell as to how effective this mod/upgrade was. I intend to rebuild this engine before this time next year, possibly to 120ci and I will be installing these again on that rebuilt engine.. ! Thanks for your work.
Glen

Quick Reply: A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...