Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2015, 07:49 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Just received mine yesterday, should be able to dig into the top end this weekend to get them installed.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:57 AM
Makdaddy
Road Master
Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCKOUT Rocker Products
There are no issues with the pushrods. Just make sure the ends are seated in the pockets in the rockers & you're good to go.

One caution... should you remove the pushrods for any reason, don't mix them.... they're not the same length.

Thanks for your order

As Cheap as they are
Its almost worth it to add adjustable Push rods when doing this mod
makes a future CAM change easier

Old 10-20-2015, 03:59 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

The "bleed down" time is that from the time from the time you are done rotating the tire to the time you can rotate the tire again?

Old 10-20-2015, 04:17 PM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Makdaddy
As Cheap as they are
Its almost worth it to add adjustable Push rods when doing this mod
makes a future CAM change easier
Personally, I would hold off on the adjustable push rods until you need them. I've never installed them with the exhaust on the bike but I've readjusted them that way. PITA!! Also, you're introducing another adjustment and another possible source of valve train noise. If you install a cam in the future, you can cut the standard push rods a lot quicker than you can break down the adjustables. Just my $0.02

Old 10-20-2015, 04:23 PM
SBates08
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1,239 Likes on 1,002 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmusg
Personally, I would hold off on the adjustable push rods until you need them. I've never installed them with the exhaust on the bike but I've readjusted them that way. PITA!! Also, you're introducing another adjustment and another possible source of valve train noise. If you install a cam in the future, you can cut the standard push rods a lot quicker than you can break down the adjustables. Just my $0.02
Aight Lucy......Splain. How does the exhaust being on hinder with the installation and adjustment of adjustable push rods?

2010 Limited with some stuff

Old 10-20-2015, 05:27 PM
Bmusg
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by SBates08
Aight Lucy......Splain. How does the exhaust being on hinder with the installation and adjustment of adjustable push rods?

2010 Limited with some stuff
For me, the header pipes were in the way, big time, leaving you with hardly any wrench stroke. It gets a bit worse when you're doing the second rod on each side when you have another pushrod tube to work around as well. Not impossible but "a bit fiddly".

Old 10-20-2015, 06:57 PM
Egldr05
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Bmusg
another possible source of valve train noise.
Why more noise with adjustables pr's if adjusted correctly? I've never had any additional noise with adjustables, if anything I've had less.

Old 10-20-2015, 07:19 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by mjonesjr84
The "bleed down" time is that from the time from the time you are done rotating the tire to the time you can rotate the tire again?
Bleed down time is the time from when you tighten the rocker support bolts down to the time you can rotate the engine again.

Also on amazon.com...
Imitated, never equaled... ROCKOUTS!

Old 10-20-2015, 07:20 PM
mjonesjr84
Tourer
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Bleed down time is the time from when you tighten the rocker support bolts down to the time you can rotate the engine again.
I'm new to working on bikes (not cars). I'm not sure I understand why; care to explain?

Old 10-20-2015, 08:17 PM
ROCKOUT Rocker Products
Sponsor
Received 1,635 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by mjonesjr84
I'm new to working on bikes (not cars). I'm not sure I understand why; care to explain?
Sure. When the engine is all together, the pushrods compress the pistons in the lifters about 1/8" or so. These pistons have a spring behind them, and that along with oil pressure keeps the pushrods tight against the rockers so no adjustment is needed. When you remove the support plates, the springs in the lifters are able to extend the pushrods that 1/8" and oil fills the cavity inside the lifter under the piston. When you tighten the support assembly back down, the pushrods need a little time to "bleed down" the lifters & displace that oil that ran in there. If not, they'll open the valve 1/8" more than they should when the engine is rotated.

Over simplification to be sure but that's the gist of it.

Quick Reply: A word about installing ROCKOUT rocker shaft inserts...