Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why I will nevery buy Kuryakyn again - Kinetic Iso-Grips

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 12:02 PM
knappoleon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Why I will nevery buy Kuryakyn again - Kinetic Iso-Grips

I purchased some kinetic iso grips and hand them installed with my new apes. I ended up having a near death experience when the glue decided to come undone in the middle of a turn. I sent Kuryakyn an email about the glue and I think their own words should speak for themselves.
Hello Rob, thank you for the email. I would believe this to be a installation issue not a glue failing issue. We sell thousands of grips with no problems when installed correctly. For it to come loose I would say it was not properly cleaned or not enough glue used during installation, did you install or have it done by a shop? The glue we use is a gel type super glue, make sure you clean the handle bar of any residue and dry fit the grip before re-installing. Apply the glue to the inside of the grip and slide on with one continuous movement. I tell people to use a non permanent marker or painters tape to make up a reference mark to line the grip up with when sliding it on. Please contact me with any other questions.

Greg
Customer Care/Tech Support Lead |

to Greg
I had a shop do the installation. I'm pretty sure the glue failed.

Hello Rob, my thought is not enough glue was used during installation. Under normal conditions a grip would need to be destroyed to remove if installed correctly.
Thanks,
Greg
I was finally able to take some time off and take apart my grip. Sure enough, you can see where the glue was applied and sure enough you could see the rubber insert had started splitting along the seams.

So instead of hey there customer, let me send you some more glue and here are the instructions, and let me make sure I make a note of it because maybe there's an issue here we don't know about regarding storage or bonding issues. Maybe we should track it. No, instead I got the "it was installed wrong and our glue never has problems." routine. Not only has the product failed and placed their customer's life in jeopardy, but the customer service neglects its basic element of fiduciary duty to their customers.

I just wanted to rant and leave this here. I'm sure I'm not alone and that we've all had that same problem with a shop or a vendor at some point. Either way, I won't be buying Kuryakyn again.:icon_dead horse:

Last edited by knappoleon; 10-04-2015 at 12:04 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Dozer40
Road Warrior
Received 328 Likes on 176 Posts

It sounds like an installation problem to me as well. Move on.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:25 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,857 Likes on 19,337 Posts

Well ... I've been here a while, and while Kuryakyn may get some knocks from time to time, I've never read of a problem with their grips not staying put. Just an observation.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:30 PM
craigffb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 168 Likes on 133 Posts

Originally Posted by Uncle Larry
Well ... I've been here a while, and while Kuryakyn may get some knocks from time to time, I've never read of a problem with their grips not staying put. Just an observation.
That's funny you say that, as on more then one occasion I've seen used bikes where the left Kury grip pulls right off.

Old 10-04-2015, 12:35 PM
Beaux
Road Warrior
Received 226 Likes on 147 Posts

Gorilla glue ................ throw that stuff away you got with the grips

Old 10-04-2015, 12:50 PM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

OP: So you're "pretty sure the glue failed"? That's like saying "I almost hit a home run" or "I'm pretty sure I got laid last night".
Man, either you did or you didn't - there's no "pretty sure" when it comes to those responses.
Next time install them yourself so you know "for sure".

Old 10-04-2015, 01:02 PM
Stiggy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,817 Likes on 3,171 Posts

I don't use Kuryakyn currently, but don't all '96 and later switch controls anchor the grip to the handlebar? I could spin the left grip in my hand if I chose but no way could I lose it because its secured under the switch housing.
These in the pic below are the ones I'm currently running. See the 'lip' on the one on the left side? That's what goes under the switch housing. Can't pull off. I don't use any glue at all. Did you take the switch housing apart when you installed the ISO Grips?

Last edited by Stiggy; 10-04-2015 at 01:05 PM.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:34 PM
Uncle Larry
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 49,857 Likes on 19,337 Posts

Originally Posted by craigffb
That's funny you say that, as on more then one occasion I've seen used bikes where the left Kury grip pulls right off.
As I stated in my original reply ... I don't recall ever reading a thread in here regarding it.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:47 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

Originally Posted by Stiggy
I don't use Kuryakyn currently, but don't all '96 and later switch controls anchor the grip to the handlebar? I could spin the left grip in my hand if I chose but no way could I lose it because its secured under the switch housing.
These in the pic below are the ones I'm currently running. See the 'lip' on the one on the left side? That's what goes under the switch housing. Can't pull off. I don't use any glue at all. Did you take the switch housing apart when you installed the ISO Grips?
Never have used glue on a HD in the past 8-10 model years.Left grip is locked down by switch housing.Of course I have only used HD products on those bikes.

Old 10-04-2015, 01:55 PM
roadhog0120
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Beaux
Gorilla glue ................ throw that stuff away you got with the grips
+1 I never used the glue that came with the grips.

Quick Reply: Why I will nevery buy Kuryakyn again - Kinetic Iso-Grips