Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New front tire

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2015, 02:53 PM
Transporter
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New front wheel?

Harley says my 21" Performance Machine and rotors are out of specs and that is why I've been problems braking, what are my options? The technician went as far to say that Harley wheel and rotors are so much better than mine, it sounded BS.
Is this common? For a wheel to get bent?

Last edited by Transporter; 10-02-2015 at 03:00 PM.
Old 10-02-2015, 03:16 PM
KCFLHRC
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,301 Likes on 781 Posts

I guess my first call would be to Performance Machine and see what they say.

Old 10-02-2015, 03:26 PM
bigskyroadglide
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts

I ran a 21 for about 8k miles. Lots of high speed handling issues with the batwing. Many rear steer wobbles.

Finally got fed up with having to run less than 80, and jumped into finding and fixing the various causes, replaced bushing, bearings, had wheels balanced, neck bearing checked and fall away set. All total over several hundred dollars in repairs. Never fixed the handling issues. Ended up catching a nail in the front tire in BME and was going to have to hang out till dealer got a tire like i wanted. Did not want to wait, so asked if he had a take off wheel that either had a tire on it or that i could buy a tire for, from him. He did, an 18, which i bought a new 18 tire. Shipped 21 home, rode out on the 18, handling and ride issues disappeared.

My learning, 21 caused problem and it was probably a rake and trail problem. No more 21 for me. Wheel was an RC comp.

Im certain this is not everyone's outcome as there are a lot of 21s out there.

Old 10-02-2015, 05:26 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

If they checked the wheel and the rotors for run out with a dial indicator,they are probably correct in the diagnois.

Old 10-02-2015, 06:44 PM
Transporter
Cruiser

Originally Posted by GTK
If they checked the wheel and the rotors for run out with a dial indicator,they are probably correct in the diagnois.
So does that mean that the wheel and rotors are trash?

Old 10-03-2015, 05:21 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

Harley has now used several different front wheel sizes over recent years: 16", 17", 18", 19", however they all have something in common, which is by using ever lower profile tyres the rolling diameter of them all is very similar. H-D haven't yet gone to a larger rolling diameter.

IMHO going to a larger wheel, such as 21", is a custom thing and expecting the bike to ride as if it is stock is ambitious, to say the least! Is it BS? Possibly. Is it wise? I wouldn't do it, I value my bike as a touring bike, not a custom one.

Last edited by grbrown; 10-03-2015 at 05:22 AM. Reason: Grammar!
Old 10-03-2015, 05:30 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

Where and how you mount the dial indicator is quite important. While everyone here is always saying "put a dial indicator on it and check it out!", the front end of the Harley is all aluminum which leaves no place to attach a magnetic mount. The fender is not an option unless you value the paint. It has to be solidly mounted, possibly to the axle or to a caliper mount. If someone is just holding a pencil or something close to the rotor while someone spins the wheel it wont be accurate at all.

I have run plenty over 80 mph with zero problems, in fact the 21" wheel provides more stability than the stock wheel. However I have the front and rear both lowered by 1 1/2" and the suspension stiffened up all around. Not many people like that preferring cushy soft for the tushy ride. I also have those dyna beads things in each tire and balancing is about perfect that way, way better than weights.

I remember there is a certain size rear tire that cannot be used with the 21" front wheel, I don't remember the size. Either 17 or 18 I think. The wrong size creates a handling problem from what I can remember.

Last edited by Guntoter; 10-03-2015 at 05:42 AM.
Old 10-03-2015, 09:08 AM
Transporter
Cruiser

I guess I should off post the issue why I took the bike to Harley in first place, the bike front brake "pulses" at low speeds, -5mph, I figured it was either air in the brake line, ABS or maybe a warped rotor, Harley said a new wheel, I though... funny, the only aftermarket part in the whole bike.
I guess I am going to try to buy a 2015 take off wheel and do a quick swap.

Old 10-03-2015, 10:00 AM
Tom84FXST
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 20,107 Likes on 5,824 Posts

Originally Posted by Guntoter
Where and how you mount the dial indicator is quite important. While everyone here is always saying "put a dial indicator on it and check it out!", the front end of the Harley is all aluminum which leaves no place to attach a magnetic mount. The fender is not an option unless you value the paint. It has to be solidly mounted, possibly to the axle or to a caliper mount. If someone is just holding a pencil or something close to the rotor while someone spins the wheel it wont be accurate at all.

That is true if you want to know how many thousandths it is out...if you can see run-out holding a pencil next to it...mounting a dial indicator is a waste of time

Old 10-03-2015, 10:11 AM
woodturner
Intermediate
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Call performance machine before you take the full advice of a harley tech, you could have a warped rotor. I have a 21 with matching rotors from hogpro and have never had a wobble at all at any speed. I had a tech tell me that it was impossible for cruise control to be added on a FLHP without removing the police controls, I have it with police controls with minor re-wiring, two wires and two pins.

It is easy for them to blame aftermarket parts than to find the real issue, in some cases. He might be right but I would do some more checking before I bought his story.

Quick Reply: New front tire