Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Font end Clunk Found and Fixed!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015 | 09:05 AM
PWFD
|
Road Master
Default Font end Clunk Found and Fixed!!

Finally found the problem with the "clunk" I was getting on my new CVO Road King. The top fork sliders (cowbell) was hitting the front right fender when the shox were compressed. Very little damage to the paint which is good. Not noticeable as it's pretty much on the rivet / bolt going through the fender right behind the fork. The dealership basically loosened the rear bold on the slider which is accessible right behind the fork and re-positioned it to move it over a bit. Crazy how little room there is between the sliders and your fender. I checked out my neighbors 2015 ultra limited and he has very little room on his but its not quite touching as mine was but you can tell his sliders are not centered and seem to lean more towards the fender than they should. If you look up at the slider from the ground you can see more space towards the fender and less space towards the outside. One would think they should be even "or" have less space to give more room on the fender side.

It's the little things like this attention to detail that drive me nuts about Harley. We all spend a lot of money on our bikes. Fit and finish would be nice if they put the energy into that as they do there marketing the MOCO and it's lifestyle!

Ride safe,

T

Old 10-01-2015 | 09:12 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

Glad you found your clunk.Your problem give the rest of us something to check on our forks.

Old 10-01-2015 | 09:56 AM
Seventy4blazer
Road Master

Um... is the dealer fixing the paint?

Old 10-01-2015 | 10:05 AM
JMC22
Ultimate HDF Member

I installed a new Yaffe DEI front fender on my 15' SGS along with a Lindby Magnumbar engine guard - the spacer adaptors that came from Yaffe for their 21" wheel didn't allow their fender to go low enough so I had to re-drill the fender bolt holes a good 1.5" lower so the fender would not hit the engine guard....lucky I saw this before test riding....

Old 10-01-2015 | 11:01 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Ive owned 5 HDs all baggers and one softail and never seen a remotly close clearance issues with the fender and cow bells. Does your bike have the spacers between the fender and the forks? This may account for your contact, either that or your forks are compressing too much.

Old 10-01-2015 | 11:29 AM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by Seventy4blazer
Um... is the dealer fixing the paint?
Yes, they said they would take car of it over the winter months for me.

T

Old 10-01-2015 | 11:31 AM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bagman1
Ive owned 5 HDs all baggers and one softail and never seen a remotly close clearance issues with the fender and cow bells. Does your bike have the spacers between the fender and the forks? This may account for your contact, either that or your forks are compressing too much.
Are the spacers something I should be able to see just by looking at it?

Thanks,
T

Old 10-01-2015 | 11:43 AM
Juan L

If you're experiencing this much front end dive, you may want to consider getting the proper springs and spacer lengths in your forks to set the sag.

Old 10-01-2015 | 11:47 AM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by rwhisen
If you're experiencing this much front end dive, you may want to consider getting the proper springs and spacer lengths in your forks to set the sag.
The bike is 100% stock 2014 CVO Road King. I weigh 150lbs. Sounds like from what you are saying I may have an issue with the suspension? Maybe another trip to the dealership is going to be required?

T

Old 10-01-2015 | 12:00 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

The spacers are an aluminum washer maybe 1/16" thick, you should see the difference in color between fork/fender. Not sure on the newer bikes because they have been changed. I do agree if you have that much dive, the forks need to be looked at.

Quick Reply: Font end Clunk Found and Fixed!!