Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Font end Clunk Found and Fixed!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2015 | 04:10 PM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bagman1
The spacers are an aluminum washer maybe 1/16" thick, you should see the difference in color between fork/fender. Not sure on the newer bikes because they have been changed. I do agree if you have that much dive, the forks need to be looked at.
It seems to have a thin black wash / spacer in between the fork and fender mount. Hard to tell but it does look like there is something there.

T

Old 10-01-2015 | 08:19 PM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

Usual compression on the forks is anywhere from a quarter of an inch up to around 3 inches on a good hard "bounce". You've got a serious problem alright if you're tapping the fender on a regular basis.

Old 10-01-2015 | 08:34 PM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
Usual compression on the forks is anywhere from a quarter of an inch up to around 3 inches on a good hard "bounce". You've got a serious problem alright if you're tapping the fender on a regular basis.
So the bottom of this part: 45600028DEA*COVER ASSEMBLY, FORK TUBE, RIGHT should not compress down to the fender? The little rivet it touched is about an inch away. Here is a photo.

The bike seems to ride very well and handle great. This is all good information for me to know so I can go back to the dealer with it.

T

Attached Thumbnails Font end Clunk Found and Fixed!!-20151001_203228.jpg  
Old 10-01-2015 | 09:07 PM
dontdropit
Stellar HDF Member

Does the cvo models have a wider fender than the regular touring models? Maybe this would account for yours having less clearance than others.

Old 10-01-2015 | 09:33 PM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by dontdropit
Does the cvo models have a wider fender than the regular touring models? Maybe this would account for yours having less clearance than others.
It appears to be wider than my neighbors 15 ultra limited? The front end comes stock lower which is noticeable compared to his. Here is a better photo that I've highlighted the rivet that was touching the cowbell.

Attached Thumbnails Font end Clunk Found and Fixed!!-pencil_sketch_1443753070141.jpg  
Old 10-02-2015 | 01:34 AM
OldEnuf2NoBtr
Seasoned HDF Member

For whatever reason in your picture, it looks as though the cowbells are sitting lower than they should be by a few inches. Has the bike had a lowering kit installed?

Old 10-02-2015 | 07:05 AM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by OldEnuf2NoBtr
For whatever reason in your picture, it looks as though the cowbells are sitting lower than they should be by a few inches. Has the bike had a lowering kit installed?
No, the bike is all stock. The CVO Road King does sit lower than the non CVO Tour Bikes. Having lower Springs in the front and rear. Looking at my friends 15 ultra limited his seems to sit about a half an inch to an inch higher than mine but when he compresses the front end his travel goes as far as mine which means his is actually traveling down the fork tube further than mine as his is already starting off in a higher position.

T

Old 10-02-2015 | 07:52 AM
bundy43
Road Captain

By the looks of the last pic,the front end has been lowered.the cowbell should be even with the top of fender.

Old 10-02-2015 | 08:14 AM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Default this may give us a better perspective

by the specs... the front end is lower... but the specs don't reference the cowbells being longer too.

I'm certain you aren't the only owner who is experiencing this issue.

Old 10-02-2015 | 08:14 AM
PWFD
|
Road Master

Originally Posted by bundy43
By the looks of the last pic,the front end has been lowered.the cowbell should be even with the top of fender.
I did a google search on images on both the CVO Road King and the Standard Road King. All the images I found of the CVO seem to sit at the same position as mine. The Standard Road King does sit higher as you stated the position of the cowbell and fender.

Another forum member seems to have had the same issue with the cowbell and fender on his CVO and had both replaced under warranty. Just seems odd to me that these things sit so close the fender and button that being off just a "little" bit can cause and issue such as this.

T

Quick Reply: Font end Clunk Found and Fixed!!