Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nagging Sound

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 08:43 PM
riflemancc
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Nagging Sound

I am not sure how to describe it but the best I can come up with is an exhaust leak somewhere.

Bike is a 2001 FLHTCUI stock with the exception of V&H slip-ons. It has 99500 and I have had it for the last 5k. The PO said it had top end service performed at 80,000 miles that included new cams, chains, push rods and chain tensioners and had all services up to 90k. I changed oil in all holes when I got it and just changed it again last week.

The noise I am hearing seemed to come about a month ago when I removed the slip-ons to do some cleaning/polishing.....I hand to use some encouragement, i.e. hammer to break them free. It is most prevalent during lower speeds/ medium RPM. I shot a video on my phone with it at an idle, more for the sound but also to give you all an idea where the mic was close to in relation to the side of the bike.

This may be nothing but the noise is driving me nuts. All seems to run fine and seems to have the same level of power since when I purchased it.

I am new to Harleys...still have a ZX11 but trying to sell as the there is no difference between that and the Harley...the Harley has it hands down.

If anyone hears anything out of the ordinary I would appreciate your thoughts

thanks in advance.
Rifleman

Attached Files
File Type: wmv
harley small.wmv (4.53 MB, 58 views)
Old 09-29-2015, 09:07 PM
Captain Itch
Sponsor
Received 616 Likes on 332 Posts

Originally Posted by riflemancc
I am not sure how to describe it but the best I can come up with is an exhaust leak somewhere.

Bike is a 2001 FLHTCUI stock with the exception of V&H slip-ons. It has 99500 and I have had it for the last 5k. The PO said it had top end service performed at 80,000 miles that included new cams, chains, push rods and chain tensioners and had all services up to 90k. I changed oil in all holes when I got it and just changed it again last week.

The noise I am hearing seemed to come about a month ago when I removed the slip-ons to do some cleaning/polishing.....I hand to use some encouragement, i.e. hammer to break them free. It is most prevalent during lower speeds/ medium RPM. I shot a video on my phone with it at an idle, more for the sound but also to give you all an idea where the mic was close to in relation to the side of the bike.

This may be nothing but the noise is driving me nuts. All seems to run fine and seems to have the same level of power since when I purchased it.

I am new to Harleys...still have a ZX11 but trying to sell as the there is no difference between that and the Harley...the Harley has it hands down.

If anyone hears anything out of the ordinary I would appreciate your thoughts

thanks in advance.
Rifleman
You may have broken/cracked pipe ..

Old 09-29-2015, 09:13 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Exhaust leak

Old 09-29-2015, 09:21 PM
Eunoterpsia
Road Captain
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I'd say exhaust leak. check to ensure the O2 sensors haven't backed out, but I'd say, its at the jug/header and I'd replace the gaskets.

Old 09-29-2015, 09:23 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

Originally Posted by riflemancc
Nagging Sound
Thought this was gonna be about your spouse

Old 09-29-2015, 10:08 PM
riflemancc
6th Gear

Thanks all I appreciate the quick feedback, I will dig in this weekend.

Dawg that is a good one but I have to say she loves the Harley as much as I do, pretty lucky.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:10 AM
Guntoter
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 101 Likes on 81 Posts

I also agree its probably the y-pipe. They frequently crack right behind the rear head or even down at the bottom where it connects to the front pipe.

Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member
Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

I was going to agree with Dawg and say to leave her home next time. Agree with the possibility at the Y pipe. You said you used some persuasion to remove the pipes and the vibration may have cracked the pipe up by the mount bracket at the Y on the rear head above the trans. Also if you reused the clamps again they may be stretched and no longer sealing, especially if theyre 14 years old. Did you use never seeze when you reassembled? This could help seal the joint, and at least make it so you dont need a hammer to remove them next time.

Old 09-30-2015, 08:05 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Eunoterpsia
I'd say exhaust leak. check to ensure the O2 sensors haven't backed out, but I'd say, its at the jug/header and I'd replace the gaskets.
No O2 sensors on a 2001. HD recommends changing that slip on muffler clamp every time you remove it, but many like myself reuse it several times. If you haven't, try that first. And as mentioned already check the Y pipe to see if it's cracked. If you never removed the headpipe it's unlikely that the exhaust port gaskets were disturbed, but with 99K miles it wouldn't be unreasonable if they failed. Are you sure it's an exhaust leak? See any black exhaust soot anywhere?

Old 09-30-2015, 08:12 PM
riflemancc
6th Gear

I did use the same clamps and didn't put never seize on it but will when I take the off this weekend. I am not positive it is an exhaust leak but is the only explanation I could come up with. there is a little black soot but not a lot. Both when I disassembled and still some on the ends of the exhaust pipes, a little more on the right than left. I will keep everyone updated and again thanks for the feedback.

Quick Reply: Nagging Sound