Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Progressive 444 or 944?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 04:07 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Progressive 444 or 944?

I've been through Pro-Action and Super Shox and haven't found a shock that I'm happy with. I'm looking for a smooth ride that doesn't break my back when going over recessed manholes or raised road seams as an example.
Today I spoke with the people at Progressive asking questions about their 444 and 944's. They were telling me that they ride exactly the same, the only difference being the 944's sit an inch lower. This phone call left me very skeptical figuring there must be other differences.
I'm asking those with actual experience with these shocks if they can report on the type of ride I might get from either.
I weigh 210# so i figure standard rate spring would be in order. I'm close to 6' so height is not an issue to be flat footed at stops.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:09 PM
HOGNIT
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

While the 444's are a lot better shock then stock, they seem to have the same feeling as you described in you're other post about the shocks you have had. I have the 12" with heavy springs and that might be most of the problem, and I think being the shorter is the other problem. For the price I think they do pretty well compared to the air shocks, but how much better is the question

Old 09-28-2015, 08:39 PM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

For about what you paid for Super Shox, Howard will set up Ohlins 2 or 3 series with the forum discount.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:37 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I've been through Pro-Action and Super Shox and haven't found a shock that I'm happy with. I'm looking for a smooth ride that doesn't break my back when going over recessed manholes or raised road seams as an example.
Today I spoke with the people at Progressive asking questions about their 444 and 944's. They were telling me that they ride exactly the same, the only difference being the 944's sit an inch lower. This phone call left me very skeptical figuring there must be other differences.
I'm asking those with actual experience with these shocks if they can report on the type of ride I might get from either.
I weigh 210# so i figure standard rate spring would be in order. I'm close to 6' so height is not an issue to be flat footed at stops.
==============

I bought new 944's (with std springs & not optional hvy dty springs) for my 09 flhtcu and the only way to take the sting out of sharp hits like manholes and or pot holes was to back off a lot on the pre-load adj .

Then what happened was the ride is less harsh not breaking your back on larger bump/potholes but the bike then handles like crap .

So in order to get the good / safe handling back i had stiffen up the preload little by little till decent/safe handling returned and then i was back to the same old ride jolting / hitting me hard on larger bumps just like the stock airshocks did when i had enough air in them @ 40psi to stop them from bottoming out.

I tried adj the 944's all over the map and could never get them adj to retain decent handling while at the same time not jolting you off the seat when you hit a lrg manhole cover or pothole and sold them.

I am 5'-9.5" @ 180lbs definately not overloading the suspension & have prog springs in front forks with little heavier then stock fork oil too.

After a lot or research & reading here in HDForums its looks as though i will go with #2-2(A) Ohlins from Howard .

Pro-Action shocks look good & the few guys that have dealt with them thus far say they are easy to talk & seem to know what they are talking about too.

But the Pro-Action's are over $800 and with Howard's HDForum discount if i am not mistaken his 2/2a's come in at approx $650 + - a few bucks.

But after having the 944's i would not rec them.

Scott

Last edited by wscott; 09-28-2015 at 09:45 PM.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

Wow! Guys, thanks for your input. I was suspecting what you have described would be what I would find with the progressives. Im really beginning to think all the aftermarket brands are very similar. I think those who say they are smooth as glass are riding on smooth roads or want to believe what they spent their money on was worth it. Like the glass half full syndrome. Lol
I wouldn't be surprised if Howard's Ohlins also ride the same as described above. (Stiff)
The reason I was looking for new shocks was to avoid those back breaking bumps you come across every now and then but to my surprise, up to now, all the shocks I've tried are no better than stock in that regard.

Old 09-29-2015, 04:06 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Streetrunner
I wouldn't be surprised if Howard's Ohlins also ride the same as described above. (Stiff)
Now why would you think that?! A rear shock has two major components, the springs and the dampers. It is reasonable to expect that designing and making the darned things would be as easy as ABC, but it doesn't seem to work out like that.

Springs are what make a shock stiff and if you buy from Howard he will supply springs matched to your riding weight. That will cure any 'stiffness'. Ohlins shocks come with better damping control than most if not all other shocks. There are countless threads about them around HDF. It is the superior damping control of them that will save you those crunching bumps and thumps. Mrs B and I have hit every known hazard during our travels and can report that we have NEVER bottomed out with our Ohlins.

You have already discovered that other brands have let you down. Save yourself a lot of time trouble and expense and call Howard.

Old 09-29-2015, 01:15 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

I've heard from riders with 944's, what about the 13" 444's? Anyone riding with them?

Old 09-29-2015, 01:20 PM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,866 Likes on 2,429 Posts

If you use Advanced Search and simply type '444' in, then select Titles, you will get plenty of reading matter on them!

Old 09-29-2015, 02:36 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member

I spoke with one of the techs at progressive. He recommended the 444 (13") over the 944.
He had some good points and was very convincing. I may try the 444's next.

Old 09-29-2015, 03:20 PM
boro
Tourer
Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

The 444 isn't a bad shock. What's bad, is that the 12" shock has only 1.9" of travel. Travel is the real culprit. You want a shock that will maximize ground contact, for fun, safety, etc.. But, that shock needs enough travel to do its job without bottoming or rebounding roughly. The 13" 444 should be enough for someone that isn't looking for endless adjustability, and is weight appropriate. The standard 444 is rated 210 -250. I ride w/zero preload, and it's acceptable, but not as nice as I would like. I'm 195lbs. A shock that is sprung for your weight and has nice travel is a delight.

Quick Reply: Progressive 444 or 944?