Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Floor boards

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2007, 11:14 AM
Avmech
Intermediate
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Floor boards

I bought chrome passenger floor boards for my Road King, what's the trick to installing the rubber matt!!

Old 05-04-2007, 11:20 AM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Floor boards

Elbow grease. they are a bit of a pain to fit into those holes, just keep working on pushing and pulling them thru. Don't use 3-in-1 oil like I did, lost my grip on the boards and almost dropped them a dozen times !

Old 05-04-2007, 11:21 AM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

If you mean the inserts, the object that contacts your foot, they are attached by six (I think) rubber "feet" that must be pulled into the floorboard. After you remove the stock inserts, put some ArmorAll or dishwasher liquid on the "feet" and align them with the holes in the floorboard. Take a pair of pliars and grab each foot one-by-one from the underside of the floorboard and pull them through 'til they are firmly seated. The feet have protrusions that are designed to help to grip it and pull it on through. Be careful, as I've broken these protrusions by being overzealous, but there are 3-4 and if you break one you have more to fall back on.

Old 05-04-2007, 12:46 PM
HogBoy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All those directions Iclick gave you should have been on the 'structions sheet that came with those floorboards. I just put a set on and it was pretty self-explanatory--including using dishsoap.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:04 PM
jbhawley
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ditto on the instructions
dish soap or even windex works....definately no oil or wd40 type lubricants.

Old 05-04-2007, 02:38 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did those recently myself. My advice - first, make sure you're doing it in warm temperature. I was doing it while it was freakin' snowing outside. I warmed'em up a little in front of a space heater before working on them to make the rubber more pliable.

Second - I used 2 sets of needle nose pliars. I used the first to gently get the tip pulled out - then carefully & quickly used the second to grip in the stretched space under where I presently had it gripped...then repeated the proccess - leap frogging the needle nose pliars until it popped all the way through.

Tore'em up a bit - but even with tearing off pieces parts of the nub, as longs as you have a whole piece where it meets the hole so it doesn't go back down, you'll be good.

Have fun!