Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Constant Misfire/Hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2015 | 10:53 PM
kingmoochr
|
Cruiser
Default 2002 Road King Constant Misfire/Hesitation

Today I had my first episode of a consistent misfire. After doing about 100 or so freeway miles, I got onto a windy 2 lane road. It was probably in the high 70's/low 80's and the bike was noticeably warm/hot. All of the sudden, I started getting a miss like I was running out of fuel. It did this for about 10 miles before I shut it down.

I've had 2 previous instances, both when I was low on fuel on the freeway, where the bike had cut out on my entirely. I had to cycle the run off and on and restart the motor and was able to continue to a gas station. This time, I had plenty of fuel and the bike didn't cut out, but was running like crap.

I'm away from my PV, so I could only do the jumper trick and pulled 23, 24, and 25 for codes. I pulled the plugs and they're older with a whitish haze to them. After letting the bike cool and checking the plugs, the problem has vanished. I won't know until tomorrow, when I attempt to ride 150 miles home, whether or not the problem will re-surface. With the temp thing, I'm leaning towards a coil problem. I wanted to see if anyone could think of a fuel related reason why it might have happened, if there's a common problem that causes this issue or not. The wires to the front injector have been freed from the zip tie, and I recently replaced my ET sensor, as I was throwing a code for it. I was considering buying the Accel coil-on-plug upgrade, so this may just force my hand.

Last edited by kingmoochr; 09-24-2015 at 01:58 AM.