Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spokes or aluminum, (tubes or tubless) and which tires

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2015, 09:39 PM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Spokes or aluminum, (tubes or tubless) and which tires

OK, from my last tire thread, I got the point that I need tires.

My bike came with the stock aluminum wheels, as well as spokes.

For pure ridability, braking, and turning, should I be thinking about using the aluminum wheels, tubless?

Also, I don't want to open a can of worms, but what is the best tire for a road king? Performance is the main criteria, not durability. Is anything much better than the Dunlops?

I'll make up my own mind about the white walls, or not.

And thanks everyone for their comments on my "13 year old tire" thread.

Old 09-22-2015, 10:05 PM
jamesroadking
Road Warrior
Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

You can't feel any difference in the ride between spokes or mag wheels.
With spokes you'll be spending an extra $20 plus every time you change tires per wheel for tubes, a new one is needed every time. A tubeless tires on mag wheels is an easily do it yourself repair on the side of the road. While a tubed spoked tire is not. Being stranded on the side of the road with a flat tire, trying to get cell phone reception, waiting for a costly tow truck ride, emergency tire repair cost, lost time etc.
Been there, done that.

Last edited by jamesroadking; 09-22-2015 at 10:09 PM.
Old 09-22-2015, 10:07 PM
QC
Club Member
Received 19,798 Likes on 9,865 Posts

<p>Michelin Commander IIs are popular for good reason. Dunlop American Elites get good reviews as well.</p>

Old 09-22-2015, 10:14 PM
BigDansHarley
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QC
<p>Michelin Commander IIs are popular for good reason. Dunlop American Elites get good reviews as well.</p>
I've had both these tires on my bike and I will definitely stick with the Michelins from here on out. Love these tires. Plus, the awesome mileage I'm getting out of them doesn't hurt.

Old 09-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Rat Trap
Tourer
Received 52 Likes on 25 Posts

I love the look of spoked wheels but I hate, really hate cleaning them. That's why I running the stock aluminum wheels. My last set of tires I went with Michelin Commander IIs. So far I've been very happy with them.

Old 09-23-2015, 06:34 AM
just plain john
Elite HDF Member
Received 98 Likes on 79 Posts

If you run tubeless tires a tire plug kit and small air compressor will get you back on the road should you get a flat out in the boondocks. As for which wheels, you're going to be limited with your older bike. They aren't very wide, and your options are fewer. If it were me, I'd put a call in to forum sponsor Hogpro and pick Drew's brain. He knows more about it than most of us. Personally I like the look of the 14 and up Enforcers, but there's no way to put one out back without serious skills and/or money.

Old 09-23-2015, 07:57 AM
grbrown
Club Member
Received 2,861 Likes on 2,426 Posts

Every major tyre brand makes suitable tyres and they all have their champions. There are plenty of tyre threads in here! My own favourites are Avons.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:39 AM
Time Machine
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by just plain john
If you run tubeless tires a tire plug kit and small air compressor will get you back on the road should you get a flat out in the boondocks. As for which wheels, you're going to be limited with your older bike. They aren't very wide, and your options are fewer. If it were me, I'd put a call in to forum sponsor Hogpro and pick Drew's brain. He knows more about it than most of us. Personally I like the look of the 14 and up Enforcers, but there's no way to put one out back without serious skills and/or money.
I already have both the optional spokes and stock aluminum wagon wheels, so I'm not interested in spending big money for style. Plus most of the wheel is covered by brake rotors, sprockets and bags, and I can't even see them anyway.

What I'm thinking about is rideability between tubed and tubeless, and ease of upkeep. You are right though, a big plus of tubeless is that a plug will usually get you going.

It sure would be nice to have some objective testing of tires. It seems like for every tire option, there are people who say that they are no good. I'm more concerned about getting something sticky, as long as they last for a while.

Old 09-23-2015, 09:42 AM
Joe12RK
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,471 Likes on 915 Posts

Originally Posted by Time Machine
... I'm more concerned about getting something sticky, as long as they last for a while.
If you get any of the modern dual compound tires they will have soft (sticky) rubber on the outer parts of the tread, hard (long lasting) rubber in the middle. You really can't go wrong with any of the name brands...

Old 09-23-2015, 09:49 AM
Robjr
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Spokes or aluminum, (tubes or tubless) and which tires

I have a spoke on the front and it's tubeless. 3 riding seasons and no issues at all, it's a Avon tire.

Quick Reply: Spokes or aluminum, (tubes or tubless) and which tires