Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2000 Ultra Detachable Tour Pack Docking System questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2015 | 08:31 PM
Flipsyde
|
6th Gear
Default 2000 Ultra Detachable Tour Pack Docking System questions

Looking for feedback from anyone who's added a detachable Tour Pack docking system for older Ultra. Mines a 2000 so hardwares a little different from the newer stuff. No plan on using CB but may in the future. Mostly solo but quick change for 2 up when needed. Thoughts on OEM vs aftermarket parts, likes, dislikes, install tips all welcome.
Thanks in advance.

Old 09-21-2015 | 09:38 PM
WB
Road Captain
Old 09-21-2015 | 09:44 PM
WB
Road Captain
Old 09-21-2015 | 09:53 PM
Mobeus102
Club Member
Default Tour Pak

I did it on a 2000 road glide with the Harley install kit and a Harley tour Pak mount it was easy mine had brake lights but the bike came pre wired for all that your is as well they also make a quick detach wiring kit to make removing it easier your also gonna want the garage tour Pak mount to hold it when not using it

Old 09-22-2015 | 08:28 AM
hdbob2006
Stellar HDF Member

I bought the brackets used,from someone here on the forum[check the classifieds].. I put an ebay antenna ibside the fairing.
being lazy,cheap,and in a hurry. I only did the wiring for the lights on the tour pack,didn't need the rear speakers,and controls that are on them,and also no antenna cables to mess with.All stock wiring is tucked alongside the battery.

Old 09-22-2015 | 01:05 PM
Flipsyde
|
6th Gear

Thanks WB for those links, good tips on wiring. Main issue with the OEM conversion hardware is the 2000 Ultra is not listed as compatible. I called HD and they couldn't say why but they were insistent there must be a reason. Seems to me it should work but..
Good to know you guys are happy with the conversion, Mobeus102 and hdbob106. I was concerned that detachable docking hardware would rattle, squeak or just be less stable. Glad that's not the case. I'll keep searching for the reason the kit is not compatible with my bike, sure its nothing that cant be persuaded.
Thanks again.

Old 09-22-2015 | 01:21 PM
Root76
6th Gear
Default Detachable Tour Pack

I just removed the five bolts from the tour pack, stuffed the wires under the seat, and boom - solo... I had it down to less than five minutes. No need for the detach kit...

Old 09-22-2015 | 02:02 PM
Flipsyde
|
6th Gear

Root76, that price is right! I had the 3 bolts holding the tour pack to the mounting rail. Pretty easy. Whats involved in taking the mounting rail/rest of it to get the clean look?
Not home right now so cant look.
Thanks

Old 09-23-2015 | 07:29 AM
Root76
6th Gear

Flipsyde, that's as far as I took it. I left the tag bracket assembly on the bike. Not the clean look, but it just felt good to get rid of the trunk for a while. I mounted a camera on the center of the bracket and took off to the Tail of the Dragon for some twisty fun. So, I'm not sure what all is involved in removing the rest of the mounts, sorry.

Old 09-23-2015 | 11:10 AM
Flipsyde
|
6th Gear

Originally Posted by Root76
Flipsyde, that's as far as I took it. I left the tag bracket assembly on the bike. Not the clean look, but it just felt good to get rid of the trunk for a while. I mounted a camera on the center of the bracket and took off to the Tail of the Dragon for some twisty fun. So, I'm not sure what all is involved in removing the rest of the mounts, sorry.
No worries, Root76. Gave me something to think about. My brother in law just did the arctic circle to key west and finished with the tail on his way home. Said "the dragon definately was not slayed that day" but he'd be back! Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: 2000 Ultra Detachable Tour Pack Docking System questions