Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some expert advice on a Road King ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015 | 12:02 AM
mgovinda
|
Stage IV
Default Need some expert advice on a Road King ...

Hello guys,

I am a new member here. I have 2007 sportster nightster, bought it new in 2007 and I have been riding the nightster since 2007 and I love it. My only handicap is I am really short only 5'2'' and 128lbs. In my sporty I can almost flat foot and never had any issues at all these years even taking my wife as passenger (she is 5'4" and 140lb). My dream is to buy a road king and do a trip to the pacific west cost highway (hwy 101) with my wife. I really like the softail deluxe but, I could not get my mind off of the road king ... I just like it so much. What would be your expert advice if I can get the super reduced reach seat, change handlebars with better reach and lower progressive shocks will the bike be manageable for someone my size. I have lived my life so far not really caring about my height but now I really feel frustrated. I live in the beautiful colorado where I can ride almost 10 months in a year. My 50th birthday is next May, I want to get all my research completed and try to get a road king by then or a softail deluxe as I need a comfortable ride the sporty ride is not kind to my back.

I would like to hear your expert advice ...if there are other short guys in the forum please help out another short dude ...

MG

Old 09-20-2015 | 12:26 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

look at a dyna series- rubbermount, lower lighter than a touring bike-

the roadking is almost 800 pounds, and high and wide...yes, you could lower the suspension, but then you have...less suspension.

and a seat with less padding...then you have less seat.

I'm not saying you couldn;t handle a larger bike- but would it be fun...?

the ride like a pro videos feature a female rider who is petite who throws the bike around no problem...and picks it up when it drops.

however, there is no real reason why you couldn;t do the same trip on the Sporty.

some of us seem to forget that the sporty is a far better performer not just pound for pound but cubic inch for cubic inch.
There are advantages to larger tires on grooved pavement though.

next time you are in the dealer cast an eye at the 1200T...25" seat height

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-20-2015 at 11:44 AM.
Old 09-20-2015 | 01:19 AM
HeadoftheBeast
Road Captain

I can't see where you're located on my phone here, but have you looked into places that let you rent motorcycles in your area. I think the RK is the perfect fit, but I'm a foot taller than you. Anybody can sit at a dealer and say "I can make this work" and anybody can convince themselves during a short test ride that something will work. You should find somewhere to either rent or borrow a touring bike for a full day and see if it realistically will work.

Lowering and seat changing are definitely doable, though you'll lose some of the comfort that helps make the touring line so appealing.

Old 09-20-2015 | 01:57 AM
bellgnte
Road Master

I'll try to help you hear what you want to hear. HD dealers and individuals lowered these things all the time. Lower the front and back to get you started. Yes, you will loose lean angle but it will still be more lean angle than a dyna or softail. At your height, you only have to worry about stopping. Don't stop.....lol. I think you can do it just fine with some boots with tall soles. Dude.....your 50, are you going to let your height stop you now? Just kidding a bit but really. I don't know your skill level but if you can handle a bike at slow speed good you can ride a lowered RK. Might lose some comfort but it will still ride lots softer than another model. I'm 6 foot and skinny. Still can't back up my RK if there is an incilne. Doesn't stop me. Just plan your approach well.

Old 09-20-2015 | 06:37 AM
Shed
Advanced

You'll be able to handle the Road King fine my friend rides one and she's 5:1 and slim and hers isn't lowered she just slips her butt to one side when she stops
I've had every thing dyna sporty vrods and Electra glides the road King is my favourite all round bike!

Old 09-20-2015 | 06:50 AM
RKZen
Seasoned HDF Member

I still have my Sporty Custom, but moved to an RK. Check your local dealer as they might have a fit shop, as mine did. They'll sit you on an RK and place pads on the floor to simulate lowering to get you flat footed, then recommend suspension, seat, and bars combo to get you comfortable. I have a short inseam, so that's what I did.

After awhile, you'll chuck the HD suspension for better ones. I went with Ohlins in rear and monotones in front.

Old 09-20-2015 | 07:55 AM
todd-67
Ultimate HDF Member

You can lower the rk as a lot of people do. The seat is low hanging fruit to get you closer to the gound. Go for it.

Old 09-20-2015 | 07:59 AM
woodturner
Intermediate

You can get the lowered shocks and put lowering springs in the front forks, you can get the seat height to around 26.5 inches by doing this you will reduce the amount of suspension you have on a road king, but I don’t see that an issue at all with you and your wife’s weight. You could also go the FBI dropped seat route which will drop the rider’s seat 3 inches that would get you to a around 25.5 inches with stock shocks. It’s not just how tall you are but how long your legs are.

Last edited by woodturner; 09-20-2015 at 08:05 AM.
Old 09-20-2015 | 09:57 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

I ride a RK and at 6'1" & 170 lbs,its not a light bike to manuver at slow speeds.Why don"t you look at the Heritage line of bikes which are designed for smaller people.

Old 09-20-2015 | 10:19 AM
Bill1374
Advanced

The Deluxe might be a good fit for you as it sits a bit lower than the King.
that said, at 6' and a bit over 200, the Road King is a better fit for me.

Quick Reply: Need some expert advice on a Road King ...