Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some expert advice on a Road King ...

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2015 | 08:23 PM
OldPhat
Elite HDF Member

Test ride a HD Dyna Switchback or rent one for a weekend. You may be able to fine a
new or slightly used one that is one or two years old. The switchback comes standard
with Saddlebags & Windshield just like a Roadking dose, but sits lower, and has a rubber
mounted engine also. A Softail deluxe or a Fatboy low could work, But you will have to
add Saddlebags & a Windshield to them. You may need Reduced Reach Handlebars, and a
low profile seat like a Rallyruner, Sidekick or a Reduced Reach seat to any Bike you get.
Did you try a Sportster Superlow 1200T, it comes with Saddlebags & a Windshield standard.
A Roadking is a Touring machine that can eat mile after mile, once you set it up so it is
comfortable for you to ride. I had a 2007 Roadking Custom that I lower to fit me, because
I am short with a inseam of 28 inches. Good Luck on your search.

Old 09-21-2015 | 11:26 AM
kojak
Grand HDF Member

Go for the road king. You can get it set up for your height like others have said. I see little gals these days riding big dressers without any issues

Old 09-21-2015 | 12:18 PM
mgovinda
|
Stage IV

Thanks so much for your reply. Very encouraging and great info ... really really appreciate it. I might call you one of these days once, I am able to test ride RK and also a street glide.

Best,
MG.

Old 09-21-2015 | 01:13 PM
hdgzr
Seasoned HDF Member

Don't be afraid of the RK. You might also check out the StreetGlide, although it seems to have a bit more heavier feel to the steering because of the fork-mounted fairing but sits lower than the King. The Heritage Softail is a great bike also, and comes dressed for the road. One of the guys in our PGR group rides the Dyna Switchback, which we refer to a a baby RK; it's also dressed for the road.

Old 09-21-2015 | 02:42 PM
Darrell07FLHR
Advanced

I have a 2014 street glide. The dealer told me that the drop seat kit is real uncomfortable for men because of the front of the seat angling back up to the fuel tank. Have any of you guys noticed this? and which brand kit did you go with. I was looking at narrowing the seat but hate to give up padding for the long rides. Thank You.

Old 09-21-2015 | 02:47 PM
Darrell07FLHR
Advanced

Hey mgovinda. I purchased a softail deluxe for the seat height issues and ended up trading it in. The ride and the seat height was great but I didn't care for the counter balance noise. Plus I really wanted that fairing with a radio.

Old 09-21-2015 | 03:16 PM
harley0711
Seasoned HDF Member

My seat advice will ignite a fire storm and that's ok --

I live in Turlock, CA - about 80 miles from Hollister, CA = Home of Corbin

I have been on this forum now for 10+ years - started back riding Harley's in 96 - got a Fatboy - got a WG in 2000 and then a FLHTCI in 04 - Each Bike had a Corbin on it - first bike was a 'Off the shelf' seat - worked just fine. The other two were built during a

"Ride in appointment" at the Hollister factory - I arrived at 0800 with my wife - we met and worked with our seat builder ALL day - he would work in the seat - we would sit - tweak - sit - tweak - then go for test ride - tweak - go for test ride - tweak ....... You get the picture - by the end of the day - the seat was perfect / covered and home we went with a Custom built seat to OUR butts. Since 96 we have ridden well over 100,000 miles on all three bikes... The last Bagger - we logged 80K - we retired in 08 and have made 4 trips from Calif to the east coast and back - Longest was 8K in 26 days. That Corbin fit us like a glove and never were our backs or bodies sore at the end of a ride.

Now with all that said - I have read MANY horror stories here on the forum about Corbin's mail order and I don't get it - but its out there.

Corbin is a Love it or Hate it type of seat.

Corbin's are NOT a soft cushy seat - never meant to be - their seats FIT you and when you FIT their seat - you can do 300+ miles a day for weeks.

I am a short rider - My Corbin and handle bars fit ME to a tee - I would not trade my Corbin for anything - but that's me.

I really ONLY suggest Corbin to someone who can do the ride in appointment - mail order is hit and miss - kinda like ordering a custom suit over the internet.

about 8 years ago - I finally gave in and had Corbin build me a back rest - Wow - why did I wait so long, lol

For those short riders out there - I plan to have a new seat build for my 2015 sometime in Nov - after that I am going to put up my Corbin off my 2004 - for sale - I need that seat till then so I can bring it there when I have my new seat made and also find out what years that 04 will fit. It still looks new and I will price it to move - it will give some short rider out there a taste of Corbin at a fraction of the cost of a new one.

Here is my seat off my 04 - keep in mind it was built for ME - narrow nose - stock suspension on my Electraglide - Very comfortable on long rides.

Old 09-21-2015 | 03:34 PM
Heloguy
Cruiser

I'm 5'4". bought a brand new road king last year, and lowered the rear using something identical to these. ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/2002-2015-Ha...vxp=mtr)worked perfect, and i'm firmly planted on the ground. it took longer to jack the bike up than to do the actual mod. good luck!

Old 09-21-2015 | 04:32 PM
son of the hounds
Grand HDF Member

I have a 5'4" friend. When I got my new Road King, he just had the itch and showed up with a new Road King. It never really fit him and he eventually traded for a Switchback. He put 200 miles on it and tried a Street Glide Special. He seems to like it okay, but if he had kept the Heritage, he would have been a much happier man. Deluxe is nice, but a cruiser where as the Heritage is a touring bike and can be fitted with the soft-tail cruise control. Being able to flat foot a touring bike makes it a comfortable ride as no street is flat. A lower bike is okay, maybe even a decent option, but the Heritage is the bike I recommended my friend to go back to riding. He just does not ride the Street Glide Special as much, but tells me he loves it. The Heritage he rode everywhere. Test ride them all. If a lowered seat does it for you on a Road King or the SGS, well consider them. If you are looking at shorter forks, lower seat, shorter shocks or lowering links, there is probably a ride elsewhere more suited to you. Seat change, lower and narrower in the front, no big deal and the weight, not as much an issue if your seat, handlebars and feet are comfortable.

Old 09-22-2015 | 05:46 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member

Why don't you test drive an Ultra Low and see how it handles and fits you ?. If you actually liked the factory set up...Ask HD Dealer to customize your King similar to the Ultra Low.

Good Luck,

Thorey

Quick Reply: Need some expert advice on a Road King ...