Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Next bike, need help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2015 | 09:26 AM
Woodys03
|
Tourer
Default Next bike, need help

Ok so I'm trying to figure out what kind of bike will be next. For those that don't know I'm still in the hospital healing up from the last wreck. I was already about to be medically retired from the Army and after talking to my WTB rep, and USSOCOM Care Coilation rep this is just going to speed up the process. I am not saying that for the pat on the back, I don't think a man or woman serves for 22/23 years for a pat on the back. I did it because that's all I ever wanted to do. Every first bornale as far back as my mother and I could search have all served. Most died in combat, seems I'm like LT Dan, or my family thinks they are Warriors but turns out we suck at it lol. The reason for telling you guys some of that was so you understand I'm older (41) but I've also been jumping out of planes for 17 years, I have spent 10 years as an infantryman and 12 years in Special Operations. So I've always abused the hell out of my body. Broke my back twice, knees shot, especially now lol, ankles in the same boat neck messed up wrists, elbows and shoulders hurt quite a bit.

So while I know that Howard will be hooking me up with great shocks (front and back) and MCC will be redoing my seat. I'm stuck debating do I want the ultra limited low or do I want another SGS? Or do I just find a lightly used 15.5-16 Street Glide CVO? I love the look of the Street Glide but it seems as though the Ultra Limited Low would be so comfortable especially when including Howard and MCC.

Lastly if I am able to retire and heal up I'm getting on the bike as a retiree and just riding to go see friends all over. Any of your input would be appreciated.

Old 09-13-2015 | 09:30 AM
BlackhawkDriver
Tourer

If it were me i'd try to find a CVO. Just me but i've always wanted one and if I ever part with my current Limited thats what's replacing it.

Old 09-13-2015 | 09:49 AM
jaxdwg
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Woodys03
Ok so I'm trying to figure out what kind of bike will be next. For those that don't know I'm still in the hospital healing up from the last wreck. I was already about to be medically retired from the Army and after talking to my WTB rep, and USSOCOM Care Coilation rep this is just going to speed up the process. I am not saying that for the pat on the back, I don't think a man or woman serves for 22/23 years for a pat on the back. I did it because that's all I ever wanted to do. Every first bornale as far back as my mother and I could search have all served. Most died in combat, seems I'm like LT Dan, or my family thinks they are Warriors but turns out we suck at it lol. The reason for telling you guys some of that was so you understand I'm older (41) but I've also been jumping out of planes for 17 years, I have spent 10 years as an infantryman and 12 years in Special Operations. So I've always abused the hell out of my body. Broke my back twice, knees shot, especially now lol, ankles in the same boat neck messed up wrists, elbows and shoulders hurt quite a bit.

So while I know that Howard will be hooking me up with great shocks (front and back) and MCC will be redoing my seat. I'm stuck debating do I want the ultra limited low or do I want another SGS? Or do I just find a lightly used 15.5-16 Street Glide CVO? I love the look of the Street Glide but it seems as though the Ultra Limited Low would be so comfortable especially when including Howard and MCC.

Lastly if I am able to retire and heal up I'm getting on the bike as a retiree and just riding to go see friends all over. Any of your input would be appreciated.
If you are going to get hooked up with the correct suspension, just get the bike that you like the best. Any of those mentioned will be wonderful.

Old 09-13-2015 | 10:10 AM
Hazzardousmat
Road Captain

Dont pass on checking out the 2016 CVO RG. I fell in love with it at Brandts HD and the wife probably saved us some financial headaches. Because if she wasnt with me, I would have pulled the trigger and traded my RK in for it.

Old 09-13-2015 | 11:35 AM
Woodys03
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Hazzardousmat
Dont pass on checking out the 2016 CVO RG. I fell in love with it at Brandts HD and the wife probably saved us some financial headaches. Because if she wasnt with me, I would have pulled the trigger and traded my RK in for it.
I have been looking at that 2016 RG CVO and wow wee what an amazing bike. That will all have to depend on if I can afford one lol. But yes that's one amazing bike!

Old 09-13-2015 | 11:42 AM
farmboy555
Road Warrior

I love my Ultra, had Mean City Do my seat mod. Whatever's you get go for comfort and enjoy the ride.

Old 09-13-2015 | 11:52 AM
Woodys03
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by farmboy555
I love my Ultra, had Mean City Do my seat mod. Whatever's you get go for comfort and enjoy the ride.
Amen to that! Comfort is my #1 concern with #2 being a bike that true long haul touring is practical.

Old 09-13-2015 | 11:59 AM
grbrown
Club Member

A common reply to a query like yours is that it is cheaper to buy an Ultra and make it look like an SG than the other way around. With changing suspension as you plan (I'm also a Howard customer and fan!) it makes little difference which version you go with. A pal of mine recently bought himself a new CVO and I haven't forgiven him yet!

Last edited by grbrown; 09-13-2015 at 05:15 PM.
Old 09-13-2015 | 12:32 PM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member

Whatever you decide on,I am sure you will make it your own.If money were no object,go for a CVO.

Old 09-13-2015 | 02:25 PM
akodust
Tourer

Cvo is the way to go...you will not regret it...cvo is the best of the best��

Quick Reply: Next bike, need help