Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil cooler fans

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007 | 06:36 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member
Default RE: Oil cooler fans

Bad news. Although the cooler has >1" clearance from the fender when stilll, when riding it manages to make contact. Now I have some scratches to deal with, and will remove the fans until I can find some thinner ones.

Old 05-03-2007 | 06:45 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

ORIGINAL: iclick

Bad news. Although the cooler has >1" clearance from the fender when stilll, when riding it manages to make contact. Now I have some scratches to deal with, and will remove the fans until I can find some thinner ones.
[sm=yikesomg.gif]scratches?? Yikes! Sorry to hear this. Thing about thinner fans, they don't move the cfm's like the thicker ones.[>:][&o]

Quick question, I know you said it's raining, but how effective are the dual fans while the motor is running just sitting in the garage?

Old 05-03-2007 | 07:29 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic
Quick question, I know you said it's raining, but how effective are the dual fans while the motor is running just sitting in the garage?
Yesterday I heated it up well in some rush-hour traffic, air temps around 86°, and it held <205°. When I got home I let it idle a few minutes and it climbed to 210° with one fan attached. I took it down the road about a mile and temps decreased about 5°, and upon return let it idle for five minutes. Temps slowly increased and peaked around 220° (hard to tell exactly with this HD fairing guage), but I don't know what would happen if I let it idle longer. With one fan the oil-temp increase wasn't stopped, but it seemed more controlled. I think two would've done it, but I won't know since I just jerked them off the bike until I can figure out a fix for the clearance problem. Thinner fans might still be too thick for this application. I can't believe that fender and/or forks flexed >1" to make contact with the fans. Oh, well--live and learn. Can hardly tell now after applying some touch-up paint, though, and it's down at the bottom of the fender where it won't be glaring.

Old 05-03-2007 | 07:33 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

Corsair....check this out.
Interesting, but hard to tell since I didn't see any mention of dimensions. I wonder how thick the package is! (Think thin!)

Old 05-03-2007 | 07:33 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member

Thanks for trying it iclick. Props to ya and sorry bout the fender.

Old 05-03-2007 | 07:38 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

You're a pioneer my man! I have used Vantec Tornadoes for years in my computers. I use the 92mm variant that blows 119cfm.

I shop at NEWEGG.COM. Fast, free shipping.

Also to note, alot of guys that use watercooling for their computers have custom built "shrouds" for fans that keep the radiator cool.......these same shrouds would also work over your oil cooler and provide a custom, stable enviroment as they are molded to accept 2 fans just as you have setup.

I'll try and do a search to see what I can come up with as I've been out of the hopped up(exotic cooling)computer biz for some time now.
I wouldn't want these on my computer, as they sound like a small aircraft when running! Can't hear them on the Harley, though. I use normal-variety Antec BB case fans, but with an old Northwood 3.4ghz P4, cooled by a Zalman copper heatsink/fan, it doesn't really need more. CPU is now 43°C in this 81°F room, and will climb to mid-50's when recoding a DVD, etc., well clear of the 70° max. No gaming here.

Old 05-03-2007 | 07:46 PM
iclick
|
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: sleepneagle
I average 1500/mo riding to work and weekends. More when I take a trip. Oh those are year round monthly averages.
Well, you've got me beat on the mileage, as 20k/year is about as much as I ever rode, and have been averaging but maybe 12k for the past few years.

Have a cooler for almost 3 years now, just don't see the need to have the extra load on the electrical system or run the chance of shorting out. everything gets kicked up down there.
Yeah, maybe this idea was a bit ****, but I'm obsessed with keeping oil temps down. My old Evo would hit maybe 180° in summer traffic, and a cooler on it was a waste of money, so I didn't install one. The TC's run hotter, mostly I think because of the piston-cooling feature which transfers engine heat to the oil more readily, and a cooler was on my must-have list when I bought the new SG.

Anyway, 'til I can find a thinner fan that defitely won't hit the fender, this project is on hold! I still can't believe the fender and/or forks move that much while rolling!

Old 05-03-2007 | 08:27 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member
Veteran: Army

Perhaps in your obsession to mount those fans you've overlooked a simpler fix for the fender clearance problem......................maybe a fender from a Fat Boy would take care of it?

Old 05-03-2007 | 08:34 PM
BiggestDawg
Advanced HDF Member

ORIGINAL: dgriffith

What are these two working on, a HONDA/DAVIDSON? If the moco wanted another enginerd, they would only need to look here!
It's the same reason that we add other custom touches! Yes the MOCO could have done it but they left it to us. We do it not just because we want or have to but also because we can!

I like this idea and hope that you can find a solution to the clearance issue.

Old 05-03-2007 | 09:14 PM
Ram
Outstanding HDF Member

Happy hunting with the fans, this is the same project that I've had in mind for quite sometime. I've got a fan from some water cooled moto-cross bike, forget which one. Maybe a Yamahama I think, but the fan I have needs to have an inclosure built and the backing plate of the H-D cooler modified. I was also going to run my fan in the rear.

Good luck with it, hope you keep posting with it, I'm interested in how much drop in temps are effected by air accros the coils. I'm thinking that if the temps can't be kept down when at idle it maybe due to such low oil psi that we just don't have enough overall volume (flow) to counter the increase in temps when at idle!??

Quick Reply: Oil cooler fans