Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Blown accessory fuse

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 10:35 PM
Smash
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Blown accessory fuse

Here's a question for all the experts...

I have been blowing the accessory fuse on my 13 SG. Possible causes: I pit Custom Dynamics Dynamic Ringz on without a load equalizer.

Fixed that...still blowing them. Next in line was to pull the bars I put on and start checking wires. NOT looking forward to that. Anyway...brings me to my query. I was looking at it tonight as I had blown another fuse. Gothe to thinking....could the cable to my Power Vision be causing this? I ran it under the console instead of the tank. I wonder if I got it pinched. I unplugged it and changes the fuse. Rose for a while and it didn't blow. I guess time will tell. Anyone have any input?

Old 09-10-2015, 02:01 AM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 398 Likes on 340 Posts

look at the fuse- if the material inside is spattered and there are black marks like carbon- then you have a short circuit...somewhere a wire is grounding out.

if the fuse material has sagged and parted, then the circuit is overloaded.

I don;t have a 13- I'll look at the 09 manual and see what could be the cause:

The acc circuit is everything with an orange wire with a white stripe- this includes power to the the turn signal switches, the rear brake light switch, the HDI position light which many of us use for phone/gps and other uses. fender tip light- which you don;t have...also both the speedo and tach....cruise control switch...but NOT the acc plug under the seat ( that is on the P&A circuit fuse)

If you think you have a short circuit:
I would suggest that you do a visual over any wiring you can get to, and manipulate it to see if you can cause the fuse to blow...and thus find the fault.

IF you soldered wires anywhere, soldered wires will break on a motorcycle due to vibration- you could have some of that going on.

get a manual with wiring diagram for your bike and just follow through every part of the acc circuit until you find the fault

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 09-10-2015 at 02:34 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:42 AM
glide2005
Supporter
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds kinda like the problem I had with my 10 when I first got it. The acc. fuse would always blow at the least opportune time. The steelers looked with no avail for three weeks. Finally I tore the bike completely down, and started looking. Never did find which wire it was, but found the bundle it was in. When I move the large wiring bundle on the right side leaving the fairing going to the rear, it would pop the fuse. I zip tied the bundle up real tight and it hasn't popped in 4 years now. Just a thought, start pulling and tugging on wires and bundles to see if can make it pop. You can hear it pop when it does. Good luck, hope you find the problem.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:15 AM
Keithhu
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,601 Likes on 2,724 Posts

Its not the lack of a load equalizer. A load equalizer *adds* load to accound for the lower draw of LEDs. You've likely got a wiring problem somewhere.

Old 09-10-2015, 11:14 AM
GTK
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 579 Likes on 414 Posts

I would pull the consol first and check my wire routing.

Old 09-10-2015, 03:35 PM
Smash
Tourer

The fuses are melted and separated. Not spattered looking. It's weird to me I've had these bars on for about I months and no problem. All the sudden I'm blowing fuses. Well, I'm about to deploy again...I guess Dec I'll be pulling these bars off and checking wires.

If it is an overloaded circuit...what should I check? I took the ringz off and put normal bulbs back in...still blew it.

Old 09-11-2015, 03:22 PM
Smash
Tourer

Ok...I had put a TL Phase 7 on a while back. I put all my lights back to stock and removed the load equalizer. Rode for an hour or so and no blown fuses.

I pulled codes and got a P0134. Cleared it out...so I guess we will see what we see.

Old 09-11-2015, 05:32 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

the TL shouldn;t have had any relation to the ACC fuse circuit- although the position light wire on the headlight loom does.

It looks like this, the wire with the cap:

Mike

Old 09-11-2015, 05:36 PM
Smash
Tourer

Originally Posted by mkguitar
the TL shouldn;t have had any relation to the ACC fuse circuit- although the position light wire on the headlight loom does.

It looks like this, the wire with the cap:

Mike
OK Mike...so could that position light wire have a short in it? I've been rising all day and no blown fuses so far.

Old 09-11-2015, 09:12 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member

maybe if the plastic cap fell off while you were doing your work inside the fairing...it could be floating around in there "hot"

the black wore is a ground, doesn;t need to be capped

Mike

Quick Reply: Blown accessory fuse