Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Locking & Security

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 03:25 PM
Beancount1
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Locking & Security

Just purchased 07 RK (1st time HD owner). My question is how do you normally leave the bike locked and secured? The fork locks, the ignition locks, and I have this buttonless security system that I keep in my pocket and engages and disengages based on my proximity to the bike. The dealer said to just leave the security module in the saddlebag and lock the fork. That would seem to negate the purpose of having a security system. Appreciate your thoughts on this. Thanks.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:38 PM
the_icemAN
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default RE: Locking & Security

well.... the "Security Module" which is called a FOB will be meaningless if it is left in the bike if you don't set up you own keycode in the bike. Someone wants to steal your harley or get it started they will inevidibly try and use the default key-code combination to gain access so it will start up. That being said .... I would NEVER leave my FOB in my bike. I keep it in a jacket pocket with my key.

Going to the mall I lock everything (saddle bags, tour pak, forks, gas). Going other places ... I just walk away and the FOB is with me at all times. Course I did go and create my own combination for FOB-BYPASS and so I do feel secure it can't easily be 'started' by anyone.

Depends on where you are parking you bike. Inner-city ..... I'd lock it up tighter than a drum. Over at the park in the suburbs ..... probably nothing... to me it just depends on where I'm at as to what gets locked up at any given time.

but I think the salesman is an idiot to tell you to leave you fob in the bike itself.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:50 PM
Blackmouth
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't leave the fob on the bike ANYWHERE.

I just bought an '07 RK and put the fob on the end of the chain for my wallet.
I usually use this wallet only when riding to make sure I don't lose the damn thing (have a regular wallet for daily use). So keeping a fob on the chain is no big deal.

I willtry to get in the habit of keeping my saddlebags locked if I'm not using them and lock both ignition and forks when parked in public. Too many people with curious fingers around might start messing with the bike so I'd recommend locking anything you can lockwhen parked in public.

Old 05-03-2007, 03:56 PM
HogBack
Road Master

Congrats on the new ride. Overnight trips are where you have some nights where you sleep very lighly...Enjoy the new scooter...

Old 05-03-2007, 03:58 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

When my bike is out of sight for more than a few minutes, I lock the forks and activate the alarm. I also upgraded my alarm to the Siren II w/pager. I also carry a small cable lock that I can secure my leather jacket and helmet to if needed.

Old 05-03-2007, 07:24 PM
Cowracer
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just remember, all locking a bike will do is keep an honest man honest.

If somebody wants to steal your ride, they will, and there aint a whole lot you can do about it.

I rarely lock mine. At work, the bike parking area is in direct view of the security guards. At home, well, lets just say that if someone tried to break into the garage to steal it, they would wind up better ventilated and a few hundred grains heavier

I'llset the security system if I have to nip into a store for a minute or two. About the only time I lock it down (fork and key lock) is when I park it at a bar. No sense in shooting a damn fool drunk who just thought firing up my bike in the parking lot seemed like a good idea at the time.

Security systems cannot ever replicate the peace-of-mind of a good insurance policy.

Tim

Old 05-03-2007, 08:53 PM
Guilty
Outstanding HDF Member

I have the security safeguards on my bike and use them at home and out in public areas, I figure that I paid for them so Imight as welluse them. Fork lock, ignition lock, helmet lock, security alarm/siren, and ample insurance.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:06 PM
soos
Grand HDF Member
Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

My saddlebags are always locked. Had one pop open while riding and now sicne I installed the LED latches on them, they are even easier to open.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:38 PM
BGHV65
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use my FOB to set the alarm anytime I am away from the bike, even if just a few minutes to go into the convenience store. It only takes seconds for someone to hop on, crank it and go...not much you can do if your inside a store 20 feet away. I lock the fork and everything else when away from the bike for any length of time. People and kids have a tendency to be curious and "screw" with things for the hell of it. My '03, you can turn the key to accessory and listen to the radio, even with the alarm set, it will not set the alarm off. A few years back, I parked my bike right next to the front of a theater and when I came out, someone dumped a lit cigarette in my helmet, melting the lining (sonsabitches). Like Cowracer said, the locks keep honest people from stealing your ride. I hear down in New Orleans they steal bikes by driving up to one, 4 or more big guys jump out and stick 2 by 4's or 2 by 6's under the bike, throw it in the back of the truck and go. No alarm is going to stop that. Personal property means nothing to people anymore.........

Old 05-03-2007, 09:46 PM
sportyrider1
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

at the very least if you are going into a store to pay for gas, lock the forks, the Ignition lock can be defeted with a large pair of channel locks

Quick Reply: Locking & Security