Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Shifter link broke...

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 02:14 PM
harkon
Road Captain
Received 152 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
Not sure how well this pic shows it.... I guess it doesn't really, but the bottom right of the pic, where the main bolt goes thru....on the other side of the linkage (bottom joint).....am I missing a part? For the life of me, can't figure out if I'm missing something or I just can't get the clamp opened up to snug on the spindles....regardless, bike goes in next Wednesday for a speaker that blew and will have them fix it. Will likely be ordering the heim joints tho ASAP.
I had the heel / toe shift levers coming loose off of the splines regularly. Looking at it, it seems impossible that with the relief in the splined shaft and the bolt shouldering in that relief it would be impossible for the lever to even come off, but it most certainly would. I ended up putting blue locktite on the splines as well. On a trip a month ago, in the middle of nowhere, the inboard lever came off. The bolt was still tight in the lever part, but it simply worked it's way off the end of the shaft. Good thing I had my feet on the boards at the time and not on the highway pegs, I might have lost parts. I put blue locktite on the splines and bolt and reinstalled and it's good now as well. I don't know if it's the vibes or what, but mine eventually would just work their way off the end of the splines. I thought I was the only one, but it looks like I'm not.

Old 09-10-2015, 06:38 AM
patrick74
Tourer
Received 40 Likes on 33 Posts

Just had mine replaced. The spline has a lot of groves which makes the metal thinner... When looking at the part they took of there was a flat spot wore off on both the shaft and the lever.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:12 AM
hardheaded
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,633 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by rhuff
Not sure how well this pic shows it.... I guess it doesn't really, but the bottom right of the pic, where the main bolt goes thru....on the other side of the linkage (bottom joint).....am I missing a part? For the life of me, can't figure out if I'm missing something or I just can't get the clamp opened up to snug on the spindles....regardless, bike goes in next Wednesday for a speaker that blew and will have them fix it. Will likely be ordering the heim joints tho ASAP.
you need to remove the bolt completely before installing the shift arm. holding the back of the shifter shaft install the arm all the way and then put the bolt in. while you have it off inspect for any damage.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:43 AM
Leftcoaster
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that you've lost the inside bolt that holds the inner arm to the splined shaft.
I'm not referring to the toe/heel arms, but the arm that's closest to the front cylinder that connects to the linkage that goes back to the transmission.
Replace that bolt and you're golden. A little blue Loctite will also help.

Old 09-10-2015, 10:50 PM
sn95bullitt
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Mine snaped in half on a freeway interchange. Rode 30 miles in 3rd gear to Harley and bought a new one. It was a great beginning to my trip to Santa Cruz.

Old 09-11-2015, 11:07 AM
rhuff
Elite HDF Member
Received 1,119 Likes on 732 Posts

Originally Posted by Leftcoaster
Correct me if I'm wrong but it appears that you've lost the inside bolt that holds the inner arm to the splined shaft.
I'm not referring to the toe/heel arms, but the arm that's closest to the front cylinder that connects to the linkage that goes back to the transmission.
Replace that bolt and you're golden. A little blue Loctite will also help.

What I was thinking. Just didn't know what or if anything was there. Will get the "warranty" fix and dealer and then figure out how to make the whole deal stay put. And get a service annual for this bike too.

Old 09-11-2015, 01:57 PM
Cpl Ed
Tourer
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by kryingame
On my 2012, my shifter link broke just as I was leaving the NC mountains. Popped right off and I was not able to repair it. I had to get a tow. The stock ones are made of aluminum. Why won't Harley make them chrome, especially since this is a constant known problem.
Just a thought..... how silly would it be if someone just drilled and tapped a small hole on the end of the shaft. Then screw a small washer onto the end. (Washer slightly larger diameter than the shaft)? Probably 'overkill' but would keep arms from falling completely off. Oh well, probably a dumb idea.

Last edited by Cpl Ed; 10-18-2015 at 01:58 PM.