Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

SE255 Cam

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 03:15 PM
nealknight
Stage II
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SE255 Cam

I have a 2011 Road Glide with 96 motor, With CFR Pipes, True Duals, breather,
and super tuner. Recently installed SE 255 Cam and I am having trouble with Idle Off. The bike runs great at 3000 RPM and Up, but with 2 up and leaving from a light, it is awfull. Can't figure out if this is a tuning issue or are the cams not correct for my bike. if it is a tuning issue, then who is the best within a 100
miles or so from Chattanooga Tn. I have had it tuned twice and it is still
not right. i almost want to put the factory cams back in the bike. It is almost
like i dont have any torque from idle????

Please help with any info.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:26 PM
KumaRide
Elite HDF Member
Received 187 Likes on 148 Posts

Check compression in each cylinder. They should be the same or very very close. If not, cams not installed correctly. Maybe sensors in wrong positions? Just a guess. New to o2 bikes, seems simple to check though.

Old 09-07-2015, 03:56 PM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

If you had it tuned twice, there is a good possibility the cams are not timed correctly, especially front to rear cam timing. The 255's are bears on the low end.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:08 PM
Cliff R
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

If you changed ONLY the cams, and didn't increase the static compression ratio, the larger cams will certainly degrade power right off idle and early in the rpm range. Assuming they are phased correctly, you are simply feeling the loss of dynamic compression at low speed, then a nice increase in cylinder filling and additional power at high rpms.

Even so, the 255 cams are not huge cams by any means, and work well in stock or mildly "warmed over" engines. Can't say as I've ever heard any complaints from someone who installed them in a basically "stock" engine, so they still do a pretty darned good job of salvaging low end power and extending the power curve (torque) with improved upper mid-range and top end power.

Tuning can really help the situation, my maximizing efficiency in the lower rpm range with timing/fuel, but still no way to get around the basic laws of physics with these things.

I do a LOT more automotive "high performance" work than HD stuff, and see this sort of thing ALL THE TIME in that industry, but I like it, since it pays the bills here getting things sorted out for the folks that are complaining!......Cliff

Old 09-07-2015, 05:21 PM
Retrop
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 127 Likes on 84 Posts

Have someone else ride the bike who is knowledgeable enough to make an informed opinion. What about the guy who did the cam upgrade? Have him ride it.
Like others have said above, 255 cams are good cams and you should not be having low end torque problems.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:22 PM
kojak
Grand HDF Member
Received 2,805 Likes on 1,361 Posts

Get it tuned by someone who knows what they are doing. se255 is a cam that kicks in between 1800-3500 rpm in my experience. With what you have done to your bike, it should be fine. If anything is taking away your low end torque, it would be your true duals, not your cam.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:26 PM
sporacer
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by nealknight
I have a 2011 Road Glide with 96 motor, With CFR Pipes, True Duals, breather,
and super tuner. Recently installed SE 255 Cam and I am having trouble with Idle Off. The bike runs great at 3000 RPM and Up, but with 2 up and leaving from a light, it is awfull. Can't figure out if this is a tuning issue or are the cams not correct for my bike. if it is a tuning issue, then who is the best within a 100
miles or so from Chattanooga Tn. I have had it tuned twice and it is still
not right. i almost want to put the factory cams back in the bike. It is almost
like i dont have any torque from idle????

Please help with any info.
You should do a compression test to verify the cams are installed correctly. If that checks out. Find someone who knows how to tune. The 255 should have better bottom end than the stockers. The true duals are not helping your bottom end torque.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,834 Likes on 1,595 Posts

The SE 255 cam is a stump puller right off the line and falls off power wise at around 3500 RPM. It's a (THE) low end cam.

Probably the cams were not timed/aligned right during installation.

Old 09-07-2015, 05:28 PM
MikeTD3
Road Master
Veteran: Navy
Received 228 Likes on 127 Posts

If you're having trouble off idle it definitely is not the cams,

Old 09-07-2015, 07:29 PM
rdc401
Road Master
Received 120 Likes on 88 Posts

Sounds like cams are not in time if they was you could put stock tune in and it should pull hard down low even on stock tune
You didn't say who done the came change.even if you done it still need to tear it down and start over. What get me is whoever tuned it should know what is wrong by looking at the way it runs on dyno

Quick Reply: SE255 Cam