Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud "klunk" when starting bike

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 12:46 AM
DoCPooF
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Loud "klunk" when starting bike

I have a 07 with 110" and even with the compression releases she still klunks and will lurch if I start it with the clutch in and in 1st gear.

If I start it in neutral it's not as bad.

For the record - it does it with my 06 too - so it's not just a 07 problem.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:58 AM
smknflms
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

..my 98 Evo, 02 TC both did that and I ended up replacing starters within a coupla months.
Later

Old 05-03-2007, 09:19 AM
glide
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: jharp

I was told it's a compression release to help start the 96cu engine. Thats what the stealer told me, not sure I believe him yet.

Jim
That's a good one.....find another dealer who knows what he's talking about

It happens to them all, it's the new setup in the primary with the auto chain tensioner and the new compensator.

Old 05-03-2007, 09:37 AM
B dog
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: UltraKla$$ic

The '07's starter will KNOCK pretty loud on start-up, KLUNK when 1st is engaged, PING at a70mph roll-on, WHINE in 5th, and CLATTER in 6th at 45mph, POP on decel, andDETONATE on 87 Octane. Not to mention your teeth will CHATTER in neutral.

If your bike strays from the sounds in this posting........get to the dealer immediately.......it ain't normal.

This man has it right . Everything he has said is NORMAL for the new 07's. Deal with it. theres nothing they can do about it. theres nothing wrong with your bike.

KNOCK . theres a new compensator on the front primary. KLUNK , let the bike come to idle and gentlyengage first gear. PING ,Adjust your SERT or PCIII slightly or have Harley do it for you. WINE is the new gear for fifth which is supposed to outlast all other fifth gears in the long run. Use full syn and it will quiten down. CLATTER, Your lugging your engine. Sixth gear shouldn't be used unless your above 70 PERIOD. POP, Delay in fuel cut off and can be adjusted but still expect it from time to time.DETONATE, USE PREMIUM GOOFBALL! CHATTER The shift linkage is rattling. SHAKING AT REDLIGHT. Thats the NEW 95 CU Harley baby, DEAL WITH IT !
Hope this helped with your problem.