Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

clatter/oil pressure

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2015 | 04:55 PM
krank08
|
Intermediate
Default clatter/oil pressure

ok boys, need some help. I have 2011 street glide with 8000 miles. I noticed the oil pressure guage bouncing between 0-30 while riding, also noticed a little top end noise. I changed the oil and filter (synthetic). When I fired it up afterwards I'm showing no oil pressure and hearing excessive clatter. Took it around the block, removed the oil filter to see and there is oil going thru the filter. Pulled out the drain plug to look at what comes out. The small bit of oil I drained out and the oil in the filter are both black. Does anyone have experience with this situation or any idea what the problem could be and what/how I should start checking. Thank all in advance for any insite you can provide

Old 08-29-2015 | 05:01 PM
Neil
Road Captain

There is always a bit of old oil left after you change. So that may be what you were getting/seeing.

The symptoms you describe make it sound like a possible oil pump failure somehow. Maybe the crank shifted somehow. Any metal in the oil?

Neil
RDMC

Old 08-29-2015 | 05:05 PM
krank08
|
Intermediate

no metal in the oil, not on the drain plug either.I just find it odd this would develop after the oil change

Old 08-29-2015 | 08:54 PM
btsom
Grand HDF Member

You say only a small amount of oil came out. Any chance you drained the engine and filled the transmission so there is no oil in the engine? There is hardly any other explanation for no significant quantity of oil coming out after the engine has supposedly been filled.

Old 08-29-2015 | 09:08 PM
teeroy_
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by btsom
You say only a small amount of oil came out. Any chance you drained the engine and filled the transmission so there is no oil in the engine? There is hardly any other explanation for no significant quantity of oil coming out after the engine has supposedly been filled.
that would suck lol

Old 08-29-2015 | 09:14 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Had the exact same symptoms on a bike I looked at when it was pretty much empty of oil. The 0-30 psi up and down as well.

But it could be the oil pump or the bypass valve located in the cam plate just as well.

Old 08-29-2015 | 09:16 PM
northeastconfederate
Tourer

Originally Posted by btsom
There should only be a small amount of oil in the crankcase; it's a dry sump system, the oil all gets pumped back to the tank.

Did the motor quiet down? Is it possible the sender is bad and you really do have oil pressure? First thing I'd do is put a mechanical gauge in the oil pressure port and see what the pump puts out.

Old 08-29-2015 | 09:19 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by northeastconfederate
There should only be a small amount of oil in the crankcase; it's a dry sump system, the oil all gets pumped back to the tank.
Pretty sure he said the Drain plug (on the oil pan) but you never know right?

Old 08-29-2015 | 09:45 PM
ericl
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by northeastconfederate

Did the motor quiet down? Is it possible the sender is bad and you really do have oil pressure? First thing I'd do is put a mechanical gauge in the oil pressure port and see what the pump puts out.
Agreed, harbor freight $20.00. Bought mine when I replaced cams. Installed before any teardown, checked at idle, completed the job fired it up no change in pressure. Confirmation the assembly of the oil pump was correct.

Old 08-29-2015 | 10:20 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior

Does your dipstick register any oil? If it does, you pulled the wrong plug when you drained it the second time or, you filled the wrong hole like the trans.

Quick Reply: clatter/oil pressure