Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

effects of lean ???

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2007, 08:17 PM
tkjones2
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default effects of lean ???

06 road glide, stage 1 air and sampson slip ons, bike had 3000 when i got her a cpl months ago. all this was done before i got her. the PO siad he had them remap at the dealer when he picked her up i guess they did the stage 1 right off the bat. 2 weekends ago i did a full fluid change and tire pressure etc on her. i had gotten some HD gold plugs and changed them and the plugs coming out are almost pure white no tan on them and i had warmed her up good and pulled in and parked no idling before i pulled the plugs. i know im running lean. i spoke to the service manager at the dealer i use and he is going to read the map for free. a new download map is 150.00 if she needs it. his qoute on a PCIII was 350 and then about 30 min to 1 hour to install. i know i can get one alot cheaper from fuelmoto and install myself but its gonna take a cpl paychecks to get one. i probably wont ride more than 1k miles in that time period but how much harm am i doing to the bike by running lean ?? just tried to call fuelmoto and they are closed so ill call jamie tommorrow but whats everyones thoughts ?? oh and the Dealer is also gonna check on the injectors and if they are the 8's warrenty change out to the 25's

thanks all

Old 05-02-2007, 08:22 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: effects of lean ???

You should be fine. I have 2002 biek that had 10K miles on it with the download and some aftermarket pipes and the se/ac and it ran fine. It started to run better once I put the k & n flter and added a pcIII, but you should be okay for a bit. My bike has 20000 miles now and I put on the pcIII at about 18000 miles. Not a bit of a problem yet.

Old 05-02-2007, 08:28 PM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is it the same dealership that did the original Stage 1? If so, I'd push 'em harder for a warranty d/l, because it's obvious that the bike is running lean and SOMEONE already paid for it to be done properly in the first place. Of course, if they didn't do the original mods, it wouldn't be reasonable to expect 'em to do it at n/c.

I dislike running any engine lean - especially an air-cooled one as we approach the summer months. Now...it's runnin' lean because we're runnin' more air than fuel, right? What if you tossed a stock air filter in, restrictin' the air flow an' thereby enriching the fuel a bit? Mebbe that'd let ya "slide by" until you git the $$$ saved ta do thangs up right...

Old 05-05-2007, 08:09 PM
tkjones2
Banned

gonna bump this back up with a update. went to dealer today, had a 25 mph wind pushing me got 34 mpg. Got there "and this is not the original selling dealer" they did a lock assemble under warrenty, check the voltage regulater" didnt need" and put 25 degree injectors in under warrenty. they also installed a k&n filter to the stage one for 40 bucks. they checked my ViN and the dealer info that came up did not show where the original dealer had done a map download at all so they would warrenty that but they did read what was there and they said the one i had installed was a 1550 street legal HD map. they agreed that the bike was running lean, they did re map it to a 1450 not for street download for 150.00. they let me watch and showed me all the paperwork that came up on my bike. anyway the throttle repsone was almost like a new bike, riding home fighting the same 25 mph wind my MPG went to 38 coming back. all in all this dealership seems very stand-up and customer service oriented. oh yeah i was running around 70-75 Both times. I wont say the dealers name in case it is aginst the rules but if your near Stillwater oklahoma just ask anyone.

thanks for the help gang

Old 05-05-2007, 08:17 PM
Softtail Bob
Road Captain

It's not against the rules so I would give them a plug for the great service.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:19 AM
WingIt
Advanced

I just installed a PCIII from Fuel Moto yesterday myself and it runs great, more power runs smoother good rid of most of my decel popping. When on a 150 mile ride today with the OL and actually got 42 MPG 2 up. The thing I'm a little worried about myself is I pulled the plugs when I got home and they weren't tan either more on the white side.. Maybe I'll have to give Jamie a call on Monday.

Old 05-04-2008, 12:55 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

ORIGINAL: WingIt

I just installed a PCIII from Fuel Moto yesterday myself and it runs great, more power runs smoother good rid of most of my decel popping. When on a 150 mile ride today with the OL and actually got 42 MPG 2 up. The thing I'm a little worried about myself is I pulled the plugs when I got home and they weren't tan either more on the white side.. Maybe I'll have to give Jamie a call on Monday.
I had a PCIII on my bike and was running the correct map for my hardware according to Dynojet. Found out later that my bike was still running lean. Had it dynoed and t-found the AFR at around 15. Had a SERT tune done and removed the PCIII. AFR is now at 13.6. These are average AFRs because they do fluctuate somewhat throughout the RPM range.

Bike runs stronger and cooler now with the SERT. MPG is around 39.