Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Eitms purpose

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 09:55 AM
magnum629c
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Eitms purpose

Is this system to cool down the moter at lights or is it just to take the heat off the rider and does nothing to keep the moter from melting

Old 08-27-2015, 10:00 AM
bmaier
Road Warrior
Received 96 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by magnum629c
Is this system to cool down the moter at lights or is it just to take the heat off the rider and does nothing to keep the moter from melting
Per the Moco literature "for rider comfort" I've ridden in 117 deg with eitms disabled, motor won't melt. Have 107,000 trouble free miles on that same engine.

Old 08-27-2015, 11:51 AM
DanHappy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,419 Likes on 1,614 Posts

Its for, when its hot and your sweating your butt off, you can hear the cool thump, thump noise come out of it...

lolol

Old 08-27-2015, 12:24 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

it is to cool the motor internals- when active ( motor idle, no throttle input, road speed under 3 mph, so typically at a stop), the rear cylinder instead of getting fuel and spark and creating heat, will just pump air through the cylinder- that air will carry away heat from the motor internals.

previous to EITMS cop bikes were using the parade fan, and many owners tried them as well-
what's better- blowing air over the fins to remove heat- or reducing the production of heat ( or maybe a little of both)

the first production motor ( I know of) to use this type of cooling strategy was the Cadillac Northstar. Caddy didn;t know how to explain this to the public, so in ads they just said that you could drive the car 50 miles with no coolant in it- yes, in that version the 8 cylinders alternated cooling air, so the car could be driven- not far, not fast, but driven.
Cadillac had experimented with cylinder de-activation in the early 80's ( the 8/6/4), by the late 80's and the Northstar, engineers realized that cylinder deactivation could also be used for cooling.
The prime use for this in cars is fuel economy.
car motors are primarily liquid cooled

eitms is a great advance and although not intended to cool the rider, less motor heat will mean less rider roasting

on my model you can disable the eitms by rolling the throttle forward and holding while at idle- the cruise control icon will turn red, do again and the icon will turn green: eitms on

living in Phoenix ( 108º right now) I experience high temps on my bike- eitms will come on once in a while stopped in heavy traffic or what stopped at a long light when the bike has been ridden a while and it is hot.
I'm glad it's there.
On my evo I had a problem once at very high heat, I won;t ride the panhead in this.

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-27-2015 at 03:33 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 02:00 PM
nytryder
Elite HDF Member
Received 297 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by bmaier
Per the Moco literature "for rider comfort" I've ridden in 117 deg with eitms disabled, motor won't melt. Have 107,000 trouble free miles on that same engine.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:20 PM
Weavr99FLHT
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 37 Likes on 30 Posts
Default Eitms purpose

Originally Posted by mkguitar
it is to cool the motor ....

eitms is a great advance and although not intended to cool the rider

Mike
If it's intent is to protect the motor, it would be out of the rider's control to enable or disable.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:38 PM
RG Pilot
Road Warrior
Received 299 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by Weavr99FLHT
If it's intent is to protect the motor, it would be out of the rider's control to enable or disable.
I see your point but it's not meant to protect the motor. The engine can run very hot without damage. From the info I've gathered, it's more of a rider comfort thing and not engine protection but they both work hand in hand. I never have mine active. The newer touring bikes have the EITMS controlled by outside air temp (80 degrees or greater) as opposed to cyl head temp on the others.

Old 08-27-2015, 02:47 PM
mkguitar
Extreme HDF Member
Received 397 Likes on 339 Posts

I think H-D may have re-phrased or dumbed- down the descriptions used in various publications from the moco.

from the 2014 Manual:

" The Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) can provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder for riders who frequently find themselves in prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion "

Mike

Last edited by mkguitar; 08-27-2015 at 02:49 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 03:23 PM
fattybob
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my '14 limited, I leave it enabled.

Even though the engine is designed to take the heat, why not enable it?

In addition to cooling the rear cylinder, it could keep the exhaust temp from rising while stopped and that is where you feel the heat. It might even save some fuel if you were in a lot of stop and go traffic.

Old 08-27-2015, 03:29 PM
wscott
Road Warrior
Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by mkguitar
I think H-D may have re-phrased or dumbed- down the descriptions used in various publications from the moco.

from the 2014 Manual:

" The Engine Idle Temperature Management System (EITMS) can provide limited cooling of the rear cylinder for riders who frequently find themselves in prolonged idle conditions or traffic congestion "

Mike
========================================

Thats why its benefitial to go after the root cause which is excessive heat by installing Wards cooling fans (cools heads & upper cyls ) along with an ultracool oil cooler that has dual elec cooling fans that does a great job cooling the oil that collectively together reduced oil temp 50+ deg on my bike.

Benefits right off the bat when oil is running 50+ deg cooler in my bike's motor on a hot day are:

* MOTOR RETAINS MUCH BETTER / HIGHER OIL PRESSURE AT HOT IDLE & AT CRUISE TOO ALL TIMES.

* MOTOR DIDNT DETONATE ANYMORE ON HD'S REC 91 0CTANE FUEL.

* SAVED MONEY ON FUEL BECAUSE I DIDNT HAVE TO USE MORE EXPENSIVE 93 OCTANE FUEL ANYMORE . AND THE 93 FUEL ONLY REDUCED DETONATION BUT DIDNT FULLY STOP IT ON HOT DAYS UNDER LOAD BUT WITH THE OIL NOW RUNNING 50 DEG COOLER (HEADS & UPPER CYLS RUNNING COOLER TOO) THAT STOPPED THE DETONATION ALL TOGETHER EVEN WHEN RUNNING THE REC BY HD LOWER 91 OCTANE FUEL.

* VALVETRAIN REMAINS QUIET.

* LESS HEAT FROM MOTOR ONTO RIDER.

* MOTOR REMAINS MORE PWR/TRQ & CRISP THROTTLE RESPONSE EVEN ON ON HOTTER DAYS

SCOTT

Quick Reply: Eitms purpose